Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My 96 GT makes an annoying whine when I start to roll (when letting out the clutch in 1st gear). I don't think it's the clutch, though. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car (rear end? rear wheel bearings?), and it only happens when I start going from a dead stop or a slow roll. Occasionally it will whine when I am slowing to a stop, too. The point is, the whine only happens when the car is moving very slowly.

I don't believe that the rear end has ever been messed with, as the car is pretty much bone stock on the drivetrain, and it launches like it has stock gearing in it (not quick). I haven't gotten to jack the car up and turn the rear wheels to check the ratio yet, but plan on doing so to determine that figure as soon as I can get my hands on a 2 ton floor jack. Do stock rear ends ever whine? Could it be wheel bearings or something with the e-brake? I'm at a loss, but it's annoying. Gears are on my short list of mods to make before summer's over, but if it's not my rear end making the whine, then what could it be?

Thanks!

Pete
96 GT 'Vert

·
Registered
5,631 Posts

I'd vote for either worn grears or bearings - in fact, if you're doing the rear end, just do them all at the same time. Full kit, if the car has as many miles as the typical 96.

You can do a few simple tests, like taking note of what the noise does if you press in the clutch - kick the transmission into neutral - or rotate the wheels with the rear end jacked up.

If the noise only occurs when you use the clutch, its likely the clutch. If not, and the noise keeps up when you're rolling with the transmission in neutral, its probably not the tranny.

Hey all. My 96 GT makes an annoying whine when I start to roll (when letting out the clutch in 1st gear). I don't think it's the clutch, though. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car (rear end? rear wheel bearings?), and it only happens when I start going from a dead stop or a slow roll. Occasionally it will whine when I am slowing to a stop, too. The point is, the whine only happens when the car is moving very slowly.

I don't believe that the rear end has ever been messed with, as the car is pretty much bone stock on the drivetrain, and it launches like it has stock gearing in it (not quick). I haven't gotten to jack the car up and turn the rear wheels to check the ratio yet, but plan on doing so to determine that figure as soon as I can get my hands on a 2 ton floor jack. Do stock rear ends ever whine? Could it be wheel bearings or something with the e-brake? I'm at a loss, but it's annoying. Gears are on my short list of mods to make before summer's over, but if it's not my rear end making the whine, then what could it be?

Thanks!

Pete
96 GT 'Vert

·
Registered
106 Posts
yeah gear had the same problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.