Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I just bought my first 5.0. The car is a 1990 5.0. Has rebuilt motor and untouched trans with what looks like to be around 100,000+ miles. Has 3.73 gears and Hurst short shifter. There seems like a loud whining coming from what seems like to be the shifter...It is also only while I am accellerating...It seems to be loudest I think in 1st and 5th. Also another problem, which I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, is that once down shifting from 4th to 3rd it will not let me. I have to go from 4th to 2nd (not engaging the clutch) back up to 3rd if I wanna go from 4th to 3rd. I cannot go directly from 4th to 3rd....The whining noise is what bothers me the most though....Any help would be GREATLY appriceated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Google "Cobra Bob's" shifter gaskets and get a set for your tranny, the best $5 bucks you'll spend! Say BYE BYE to the whine!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google "Cobra Bob's" shifter gaskets and get a set for your tranny, the best $5 bucks you'll spend! Say BYE BYE to the whine!
will these gaskets work with any shifter? and it is a pretty loud Whine, Im not sure if just gaskets will do the trick or not.....

Also I tried accellerating alittle while atempting to put in 3rd from 4th and still didnt work. Any other suggestiong please?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
My guess is either they removed the sound deadening or your trans is on its way out. I would try the deadener first:)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
will these gaskets work with any shifter? and it is a pretty loud Whine, Im not sure if just gaskets will do the trick or not.....

Also I tried accellerating alittle while atempting to put in 3rd from 4th and still didnt work. Any other suggestiong please?
He makes neoprene rubber gaskets for the T-5,T-45,TR3650,and
T-56:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will although let me put it straight into 3rd while I am stopped....Any other ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts