Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 has been a horrible year.

I've been robbed, ripped off by RPMOUTLET (Yeah I should have done my homework), hit & run by an SUV that left me looking like Scar Face(I was walking so fortunately my car is OK), but the worst is I had an HO Whipple Installed and now my car squeals like a stuck pig! This I can't stand and please please help anything!

When I first recieved it from the dealership I drove it home and parked it. I was still recovering from the H&R. I didn't hear any noises, full WOT sounded awesome and my god it scared the hell out of me the first time I did it(good times!)

So, a couple days later I drove it again and nothing but after the 4th day i heard an intermittant squeaking. It would at first only happen when it was cold but now it's worse. It squeaks when i start it up and after it warms up it's audible above 2500rpms.

The belt doesn't seem to be slipping. I double checked the 100mm pulley and the one below it. They do not seem to be catching or grinding. If you're facing the front of the car it seems to be coming from the right side. I took it to the auto hobby shop on base and the mechanic their said it definitely wasn't the belt.

The dealership I had install it said it was the belt and the tensioner and they would get back to me.

I'm at a complete loss. i can't travel anywhere far, In order to avoid the noise I have to accelerate like it's a prius but I have the mileage of an SC'd Mustang.

This is BS. Whipple has been very helpful and I have a Ticket open in their tech department. The dealership had my car for two days and they kept giving me BS answers. I don't even think they looked at it and wether or not I'll hear from them is anyones guess. I just dropped 7K on them because they were an SVT "certified" dealership. I now have a 37K squeak machine. I'm desperate I need answers suggestions, anything. 08 has been nothing but brutal hell for me and the one thing I have enjoyed is now broken.

I can video tape it and post it if that will help. If anybody lives near Newport news Virginia, and is willing to help or if you just know a good shop around here that i can trust. Anything would be awesome.

Thanks in advance
Manny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where would I look? Or whats the easiest way to check?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Where would I look? Or whats the easiest way to check?
That's tough to say exactly. It's not something you can measure. Some have had to add washers in places to get pulleys to align properly. Any unusual belt wear?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None, I've looked at the belt and I don't see any unusual wear marks on either side. I did notice that on the slider pulley that the belt is slightly out of alignment on it's return trip from around the SC pulley to the 100mm idle pulley. I'll take a pic and post it.

Mike @ Whipple told me it could be a pulley so I pulled them off and checked them. The sound is definitely coming from the drivers side. It intermittant at lower speeds but consistant. You could keep a beat to it. My hearing though is still a little messed up so i had a friend verify.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
08 has been a horrible year.
You have a supercharged S197 Mustang with a little squeak. That's not horrible. Supercharging a car is a major mod and you should not expect it to go perfectly. These are complicated systems with thousands of parts. Out of thousands of parts on the car one tine ball bearing not created perfectly round could be the culprit of your squeak.

You said you narrowed it down to the right side. I've isolated squeaky pulleys by swapping a suspected squeaky pulley with a known good one, say a new one or on from the left side that you are confident is not squeaking.

You can also use a length of hose as a stethoscope to isolate noises. Of cousre, doing this around turning pulleys and moving belts is very dangerous so several does of common sense is in order when using methods such as this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try the hose trick, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep perspective but this has been my own banner year of hell.

Believe me I'm grateful it's not more but that little squeak is pretty damn loud. It started small but it got progressively worse in only a few days. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be getting any louder or worse.

If I had done the install myself ok I wouldn't be so upset, but I paid and SVT Certified dealership to do it. One I found thru Ford Racing's site. I even ordered the SC thru them. I did after all pay them to do it for a reason. I wanted a nice clean professional with no fuss. They have been less than helpful so they aren't exactly inspiring confidence in their workmanship.

As for 08 being a horrible year, I realize that this is not the end of the world but damn, I've had enough crap to deal with. I've only been walking unassisted for a couple weeks now. I am lucky I'm walking at all and I'm definitely greatful I can step on a clutch!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I'll try the hose trick, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep perspective but this has been my own banner year of hell.

Believe me I'm grateful it's not more but that little squeak is pretty damn loud. It started small but it got progressively worse in only a few days. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be getting any louder or worse.

If I had done the install myself ok I wouldn't be so upset, but I paid and SVT Certified dealership to do it. One I found thru Ford Racing's site. I even ordered the SC thru them. I did after all pay them to do it for a reason. I wanted a nice clean professional with no fuss. They have been less than helpful so they aren't exactly inspiring confidence in their workmanship.

As for 08 being a horrible year, I realize that this is not the end of the world but damn, I've had enough crap to deal with. I've only been walking unassisted for a couple weeks now. I am lucky I'm walking at all and I'm definitely greatful I can step on a clutch!

I hear ya. I just put in a new engine and I have a pulley squeaking that's pretty loud as wll. But I've got other, more important things to get to first. Then I'll find that bugger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bearings on these pulleys are supposed to sealed right? I isolated the one squealing using your hose trick, I used my beer bong(First time it's been used in a while!) The pulley appears to be leaking its grease. All the others are nice and clean. My friend noticed a wobble when I revved the engine. He said he wouldn't have noticed it if the sun hadn't lit the edge of the pulley. I looked myself and yeah there's definitely a wobble. I guess all I needed was a fresh set of eyes! I'll get a new one tomorrow and hopefully this will be the end of it and I can finally have some fun again, safely of course. Well, good luck with your pulley's and all of your other issues, Thanks again for the hose trick, that was a lot of help. I'll post an update if whether or not this fixes the issue.

Manny

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bent tensioner pulley arms are a known issue in SC'd vehicles. I'm replacing mine with a thump_rrr version. Good luck to you (and me as I have a squeek that developed over the last few weeks).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No dice with the pulley. It was definitely going bad and that reduced the squeal but I'm still getting it above 2000rpms. Even with the new pulley on I can see a wobble. I torque the pulley to 25lb just lik ehte damn instructions said. The sound is coming from that pulley.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Too bad there is no "off switch" for a supercharger to see if thats the problem. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, well it seems to be. I torqued it down to what it's supposed to be but I don't see any other way to adjust the belt. That wobble is impossible to get rid of it's just part of the way the pulley is designed. I've tightend that belt down as much as possible but maybe I'm just not tightening it down enough?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Mr. Art Whipple called me to ask some questions and help troubleshoot this. That is freakin awesome! Even though I haven't isolated the problem yet it makes me feel a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you tried retensioning the belt and did the dealer grind off the stop on the tensioner? The procedure is to hold the spring tensioner all the way back and then adjust the sliding idler as tight as it will go. The tensioner should just take up any slack the shows up under loads. Keep in mind that it takes quite a bit of power to drive the blower and a serpentine belt is apt to squeal if anything is less than perfect. Notice how most blown race cars run a cogged belt. Spend a little time on the belt tension and you should be able to quiet it down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've crank that thing down as far as I could get it. I still get squeal. The service guys at Hall Ford said that pulley shouldnt wobble. THey said my belt was out of alignment. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow. When retension the belt I have almost 3/4 of an inch between stops. Mr Whipple said I need at least 1/2~3/4 of an inch.

Do any of you think the belt may have been compromised because of all of the problem I've been having? Either way I can't get the wobble to go away. It seems straight but when I turn the car on I can definitely see a wobble. There's a slight wobble in the 100mm pulley too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.