Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did read at Kenne Bell site they have prove that they gain (cut and paste from they site)

Max street-competition. Same as STAGE 1 but uses 130mm Kenne Bell “Angle Flow” Throttle Body and special calibration. +21-64HP at same boost (more HP than headers, x-pipe and cams combined). All the HP the stock engine will stand. See “Max Ratings Components.”

Could i exspect same gain on the whiple ?, with a new tune.

/Kenneth

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
21-64 additional rwhp?? Just be using their throttle body? I know people say draw through FI systems can be sensitive to tb size, but that sort of increase seems unbelievable.

Kenne-Bell says this TB flows 1450 cfm or something like that. But you can't measure flow without knowing the air velocity...that's simple math, a fact, but I'm sure it can flow more than a stock TB.

But the hp claims seem a tad far-fetched...

I know one esteemed member here switched his stock TB for a GT500 unit on a 550 rwhp Kenne Bell setup and saw - drumroll.... a 2 hp increase. Maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If you have a stocker on your whipple, i would def add a bigger TB. Also know that when a company puts their own product on a car and then post results, they are going to post gains that are not always typical.

B
0 Posts
I know one esteemed member here switched his stock TB for a GT500 unit on a 550 rwhp Kenne Bell setup and saw - drumroll.... a 2 hp increase. Maybe he'll chime in.

I think he had other issues also making bigger restrictions making the throttle body a moot point.

Removing precompressor restrictions on a twin screw will help reduce IATs and everyone known high IATs are a killer!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I think he had other issues also making bigger restrictions making the throttle body a moot point.

Sqidd never mentioned other issues here, just said several times the bigger tb added 2 hp with his kenne bell.

Still, point is 21-64 rwhp seems difficult to believe.

B
0 Posts
Sqidd never mentioned other issues here, just said several times the bigger tb added 2 hp with his kenne bell.

Still, point is 21-64 rwhp seems difficult to believe.
His car was hitting a wall at 5,000 rpms and just couldn't build power after that. First we thought it was belt slip and when that was ruled out he started looking at other possibilities. I spent several hours with him tinkering with cam timing, wrapping a set of Kooks headers and so on.

Back on point...the 21-64rwhp claim does seem a bit excessive but without knowing more about the test engine it is tough to tell. Gains are usually proportionate to the power the engine is already making. A big HP engine will obviously realize more gains per mod than stock engines....but Kenne Bell also claims you can make something like 700rwhp through the stock manifolds.

OP: If you are running a stock engine your OEM throttle body will make more power than your engine will statistically be able to handle. If you are playing with bigger boost numbers than I would definitely recommend one. I have the FRPP unit and am looking for additional options to reduce IATs since I am already vaporizing the water as it passes throught the I/C.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, but they claim it is std engine, kenne bell, and electric waterpump.. but as you i find it hard that it would gain so much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the stage 1 KB kit and I am able to hit 500 HP with an aggressive tune, but kept it conservative and I am around 440 HP. I doubt the TB would help in any way, until I get to higher boost levels. Even then it would be more or less peace of mind to ensure the TB is not becoming a restriction.

S

·
0 Posts
Bottom line is there will be no gain unless there is a restriction. That being said the only way to measure that is a vaccum guage before the throttle body. If there is vacuum there is restriction. I hope I don't have it backwards.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I was hitting a brick wall because of the headers/cams but the TB test was still sound-ish. It showed that at 500hp/ X amount of air being drawn into the motor the stock TB is hardly a restriction. I agree that if I was getting more air out it may have demanded more air in but the “brick wall” was only at higher RPM’s so in theory a TB swap that showed gains would have done so lower in the rev range.

I’m all for a good TB, but only when it is needed. At the 550hp range I would start looking into one. Short of that there is easier HP to be had.

And that being said I have still not talked to anyone who has managed to get good street drivability out of a single blade TB.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
ok, i did also think it sound wild, but they seem to be pretty serious about they test.
KB also said I could make 700hp with stock exhaust and cams.............not even close.:nono:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts