Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a blower for my 05 GT. Does anyone have any input on which one is better. (Whipple vs. Kenne bell)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
I am looking into buying a blower for my 05 GT. Does anyone have any input on which one is better. (Whipple vs. Kenne bell)
MY 2 cents worth. Ford is selling the Wipple as a Ford Racing Performance Parts so it should be covered by Warrenty. I think I'm going to go with a Vortec this fall.... Good luck and please post Pics.

05GT BLACK / BLACK
AUTO
19' ADR Wheels
19x9.5 / 35 Off Set Rear
19x8.5 / __ Off Set Front
Falken rubber
Rear 285-35ZR19
Front 245-40ZR19
BMR Strut Tower
IPOD.
Roush Spoiler
 
G

·
I have not seen an officially released price/ part number for Whipple nor KB yet, so ahh, neither is better!

Ford has Whipple on subcontrct now I beleive and KB has not released yet, as of this post yet I am aware of.

Saleen is real sweet with the twin screws if thats what you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The KB isn't out yet so there is no price issued. The whipple is out and is 5900 for black and 6300 for polished
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Did you catch last months test on the Kenne Bell in MMFF magazine? made some awsome power 459 hp at 9psi boost, the bigger blower made 535 hp at 14 psi but id be spooked runnin that high of boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
I contacted Wipple about the release of their blower... they said in a month or so... which, oddly enough, is the same answer they gave me in April. So I'm not holding my breath. FRPP on the web says available this summer..... maybe they want to update that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did see that article in MMFF. (Boost Bash) So I planned on getting a KB. But then I also heard that Whipples make so Serious HP too. Thats why I asked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
The KB isn't out yet so there is no price issued. The whipple is out and is 5900 for black and 6300 for polished
That seems really steep, considering the Saleen is $5K list. The Saleen is beautifully engineered, looks like they were way ahead of their competition with regards to designing an '05 unit. Self-contained , sits between the heads, no crazy tubing everywhere, uses stock intake, very sweet looking. They are claiming 400hp with just 4psi, and the tests of the unit say it's actually exceeding that with that little bit of boost. Get yourself a different pulley and you are probably looking at 475 rwhp no problem. Wouldn't want to go any higher than that on stock internals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Hal900x said:
That seems really steep, considering the Saleen is $5K list. The Saleen is beautifully engineered, looks like they were way ahead of their competition with regards to designing an '05 unit. Self-contained , sits between the heads, no crazy tubing everywhere, uses stock intake, very sweet looking. They are claiming 400hp with just 4psi, and the tests of the unit say it's actually exceeding that with that little bit of boost. Get yourself a different pulley and you are probably looking at 475 rwhp no problem. Wouldn't want to go any higher than that on stock internals.
I've seen the Saleen Series IV blower doing between [email protected] depending on throttle body and exhaust setups. Probably the best looking unit IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I'd go with the KB Supercharger, it creates boost instantly...as soon as you hit the peddle you get boost.
Where as the other chargers, it kicks in when you hit 3500-4000RPM.

My father-in-law has a KB on his 99GT, w/14psi...and the thing is phenominal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
OhYes05 said:
I'd go with the KB Supercharger, it creates boost instantly...as soon as you hit the peddle you get boost.
Where as the other chargers, it kicks in when you hit 3500-4000RPM.

My father-in-law has a KB on his 99GT, w/14psi...and the thing is phenominal!
I have had both types and I am not keen on the Roots types because they put a lot of extra heat through the motor when you aren't needing any extra power. I currently have three supercharged vehicles, one with Paxton Novi 2000 and a Powerdyne, and early '63 Avanti with factory Paxton. I appreciatte driving them like "normal cars" until I want get on it. And I really gotta say they spool up fast. Even a stock motor hits 2600-3000 rpm pretty darn fast. They are very "showy" with LOTS and LOTS of tirespin. For track only use I would use a Roots type and sticky slicks. For a dual purpose car seeing a lot of street use I suggest a centrifugal.
Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These brands arent Roots types they are Twin Screws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
These brands arent Roots types they are Twin Screws.
Yep, I know but just wanted to mention the heat as the post before mine said : "other types of chargers". The twin screw if less efficient than a centrifugal and you will still have more heat even at idle. But I bet that doesn't matter when you want one!...Many years ago it did to me when I cracked a head on my El Camino. These days I buy Centrifugal's. It always ran hot for me with the Roots. Twin Screws are a slick set up far superior to the Roots. Sorry to even mention the Roots!

Thanks, I can't wait to see what you get! :strut
Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
I am looking to pick up a saleen, decent price, and 400hp and 420tq at only 3.4 psi, wow now thats impressive, pulley upgrade to run more boost and so many will only see my tail lights.


05roush
 
G

·
FoMoCo said:
Did you catch last months test on the Kenne Bell in MMFF magazine? made some awsome power 459 hp at 9psi boost, the bigger blower made 535 hp at 14 psi but id be spooked runnin that high of boost.
That was done on an old 2 valve 4.6 mod engine. No KB S/C out yet for 2005 motor. I am sure it will be very similar in results to the Saleen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
I am looking into buying a blower for my 05 GT. Does anyone have any input on which one is better. (Whipple vs. Kenne bell)
Last I heard, whipple, isn't making any, they can't! They owe money, to their supplier, and don't have it! No money, no parts! I have a kennebell on my 04GT, and I'm happy with it, best part, is little or no maintenance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
That was done on an old 2 valve 4.6 mod engine. No KB S/C out yet for 2005 motor. I am sure it will be very similar in results to the Saleen.
Yes, in fact, the same guy, John Mcowan, installed my kennebell, on my 04 GT convertible. He also happens to be NMRA 2001 World Champion! The guy knows Mustangs, and has proven that, personally, at the track! And, if you want to see the kennebell, for a 05Mustang, you can see it at www.pandjspeedshop.net,just click on whats new!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Link doesn't work, you gotta drop the word "just" at the end of the link.
Hey mbrown I just placed my order with Robert at Kenne Bell, He said It the tune isn't ready for the 06 yet (its different than the 05) but in a week or 2 it should be ready, so I should see it in 3 to 4 weeks. Its a bit of a wait but well worth it imo. :thumbsup
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top