Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 GT 500 miles. AM start up large cloud of white smoke no check engine light ran very rough. Shut off immediately restarted, some smoke and then cleared up and ran normal. Any thoughts. Ford service manager said he hasn't had this before so if it repeats will have to leave with dealer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like a contaminate in the fuel that was burned up. If it happens again try another fuel then see what happens. Do you drive it often? My car sat for 3 months without driving it in the winter and it ran a little rough after I first pulled it out of storage and has ran fine since.

·
Registered
532 Posts
2012 GT 500 miles. AM start up large cloud of white smoke no check engine light ran very rough. Shut off immediately restarted, some smoke and then cleared up and ran normal. Any thoughts. Ford service manager said he hasn't had this before so if it repeats will have to leave with dealer.
White vapor indicates either oil or water.... Fuel problems usually emit a black vapor unless the mixture is soooo rich that no combustion occurs, which would also cause the engine to run very roughly.

Most often smoke on startup is caused by oil leaking into the cylinder by the valve stem guides. After shutdown, the oil seeps past the valve guide seals and passes a worn valve guide into the cylinder... Since your car is still new, valve guides should not be worn out, but valve guide leakage is not a single event phenomenon...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine did this ONCE, a year ago and never did it ever again. I'm curious if the new reflash also corrects this. I believe it is an issue with the PCM obtaining or interpreting crank/cam sync during cranking and start, since restarting it resolved the concern. I do get the long crank every now and then too, but I never have smoking or rough running. I plan on getting the reflash right before I park it for the winter months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts