Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone,

I have a 67 Mustang Coupe with a 289 engine (V8).

I bought it about a year ago with only a few minor problems. Since then, I have replaced the gas tank, several cosmetic aspects, and have just recently had to move on to work on the engine. I had to install a new thermostat and radiator cap.

My problem started about a week ago when I noticed that I was leaking something in the engine, but it was only when I was driving and not when I was in park. My idle was pretty rough and had been noticing an odd sound in the engine for about a month. I was told to investigate for a fuel leak, but I hadn't smelled any fuel while driving. No fuel leaks. Upon closer inspection (and letting the car run, giving it some gas while in park), I noticed that there seemed to be a leak from the exhaust manifold gasket. There was white steam/smoke coming off of the engine (it wasn't billowing, just a small amount). So I went ahead and went through, replaced the gasket on the valve cover and the exhaust manifold.

Today, I start the car up and it's running without the strange idle or sounds, nothing leaking, but still a small amount of steam/smoke rising from the back of the engine. My oil seems fine (nothing bubbling/dark-- i just changed the oil about a month ago), nothing billowing out of the exhaust pipe. When I start it up, there is some moisture that comes out, but nothing that doesn't go away after a minute or so.

So should I check for a blown head gasket? Is there anything else that this could be caused from?

Thanks in advance! :shiny:

·
Registered
702 Posts
What's it smell like?

It is left over stuff from handling the exhaust? Oil, etc. on the pipes.

You more often get an intake gasket leak than a head gasket on a 289.

If you had a blown head gasket you'd know it. There can also be freeze plugs rotting through. Back of each head and a couple in the back of the block. Need a mirror and a pressure tester.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If it smells sweet it is coolant but if it smells like oil it may be ATF. An automatic can leak oil into the intake through the vacuum modulator (passenger side rear of the case). You can check it by pulling the line off and look to see if there is any red oil in the line. If there is then replace the modulator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a similar problem and I was scared that it was a head gasket. I rented the exhaust gasses in the coolant test kit at Autozone and ran it three times. It gave me a lot of comfort to know that it wasn't a blown head gasket. The rental kit is cheap and it only takes about three minutes per test. You get enough chemical for three tests. My problem was a leaky heater hose that was dripping fluid down the firewall and dripping onto the exhaust manifold and cross pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts