690 Posts
And this will do what?

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
And this will do what?

Tim

So you are aware that the engine and trans ride on their own mounts, then the shifter is remotely mounted to the body. Shifter bushings are a popular upgrade for street performance cars but there comes a time when the deflection of the transmission itself causes issues shifting. This is an easier way of firming up shifting action than replacing motor mounts. No one claims it to be a 'fix' but merely another improvement.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
My guess, easier to install than mounts too...to some degree, assuming you have a trans jack/a way to jack the trans SECURELY (again, newb'ed as I do not without help from a friend).

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how the durometer of the bushing in the picture compares with the red and black engine and shifter bushings that Steeda uses. Depending on how hard it ends up being I'd try one out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I wonder how the durometer of the bushings in the picture compares with the red and black engine and shifter bushings that Steeda uses. Depending on how hard they end up being I would go for one of the styles pictured.

From the Vorslag blog:

Whiteline sent us the first prototype for this brand new KDT928 part, which is similar to other bushing "void inserts" they make for other cars. They were waiting for our feedback before they went to production - we gave them a big "yes, please!". This is an elastomer bushing insert that just pops into place and fills the air gap in the factory rubber bushing. We don't have official pricing yet but I was told the price "should be about the same as similar inserts we make", (so about $35). I have an open order for more, because this thing just flat-out works. Super easy to install (no tools, no effort!) and it firms up the transmission mounting nicely. Now installing this will add a little extra NVH (noise-vibration-harshness), just in case you are wondering.

Amy picked up the Mustang after we installed the insert and immediately came back after leaving the parking lot and said "Hey, something is different here...?" It isn't bad at all, just a little more NVH, and nothing like going to a full poly trans mount bushing would be. It just removes some of the air gap and firms the mount up a good bit. We should have these in stock before too long and I will post up in this thread when they are ready

·
Registered
739 Posts
If I have to go through the trouble of dismounting the transmission then I'd rather just throw it in the dumpster and install something better while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It sounds like it's worth a try. Not real expensive and install not bad. If I find I don't like i'm not out much and could change back.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been waiting on someone to make one of these for a while now. It's a good intermediary solution to more racy mounts that transmit too much NVH to the cabin.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Mud want...................I don't care much about NVH (it aint a Camary) I like the JHR motor mounts on my buddies car. They improved the shifting by quite a bit at the cost of much more than $35 and simple install. I was surprised how much better it feels but they do have a good bit of NVH. Especially for the V6 dual mass flywheel vibration which I recommend all you V8 guys get a chance to experience if you can.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It sounds like it's worth a try. Not real expensive and install not bad. If I find I don't like i'm not out much and could change back.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
But does this make the trans mount firmer than the motor mounts?

Eh...it's not a solid trans mount with moveable motor mounts. Used to, you'd worry about a trans mount or worse, the trans, breaking from torquing when the motor itself could still move but the trans mount wouldn't flex with them. Probably not a concern here I guess.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
But does this make the trans mount firmer than the motor mounts?

Eh...it's not a solid trans mount with moveable motor mounts. Used to, you'd worry about a trans mount or worse, the trans, breaking from torquing when the motor itself could still move but the trans mount wouldn't flex with them. Probably not a concern here I guess.

The trans mount is still going to be rubber just with the voids filled with Whiteline's elastomer insert. The motor mounts have leverage over the trans mount so I doubt there will be any broken parts over this.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is this something that could be used on a tremec magnum click?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts