Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if all you welders are disappointed but what I'm trying to find out is, how good do you have to be to weld on sub frame connectors? There's no one around here who really does it but a few guys (good technicians, nice shops) who are willing to try. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I took mine to muffler shop because they the type of lift you drive up on. You want the car to sit how it will on the road. The guy stiched them on, not one big weld, he said it would be stronger. I bought Kenny brown zinc plated subframes, they bolt to the seat bolts and weld on. I also had my tail pipes cut off (when I had flows and dumps)and turn downs installed all for $50. Just call some exhaust shops and ask.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
and think about what's INSIDE the car near where they have to weld.
Shop used some spray-on undercoating after they were all done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure how your connectors are made, but a general rule of thumb is that the thicker the stock (metal), the less skill it takes to weld it. For example, laying a butt joint on 1/4 stock is a snap. Try it with 20 ga. sheet steel and its a different story.

If the connectors are heat treated, the heat from welding will reduce the temper (strength) in the area you're welding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.