Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
G

·
Who Loved the Mustang II and Why

The big question is why some Mustang lovers disliked the Mustang II even though it was the Motor Trend car of the year in 1974.
Good question... I love my '76. I drive it to work at least once a week and on my days off for enjoyment. She's not quite the powerhouse that my 5.0 fox-body GT was, but she's fast enough (in the 16s in the 1/4.... look up 1/4 times for a stock '73 "real Mustang" with a 302/2bbl or a 1982 "The BOSS is BACK" Mustang GT and you'll find out she's every bit as fast as they are/were) to get in trouble with, and handles and stops nicely.

It's all a matter of preference and/or ignorance as to why people like one Mustang or hate another. I honestly don't care at all for the looks of the 1979-1993 fox-body cars, I've owned/co-owned 4 of them total because they were either cheap thrills or cheap transportation, but never really had a passion for them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The reason I do not care for that style is that to me it looks like a Grandma's car.... just shrunken down. It is not pleasing to the eye to me and does not say either sleek and quick, nor muscle car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are fun to drive. My first one was a '74 fastback and the little beastie was no slouch. Handled very well. The 2.8 ltr V6 was/is a bullet-proof engine and mine was very forgiving:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first car

My first car was a 1975 Mustang II hatchback. It was a gold/bronze color with genuine vinyl interior complete with AM/FM radio (no stereo). I added door speakers with an 8-track player in the glove box. Oh yeah...I was cruisin' with a V6 - MT.

My dad had owned a '67 powder blue stang with white interior. He arranged for me to purchase the '75 from a co-worker of his. I actually hated the way it drove on the test drive, but it was so cool looking (and it was a Mustang), that I happily praised the car and how much I liked it. Fortunately I got used to not seeing over the dash, the heavy clutch, and cumbersome handling. I sure did receive steady compliments on the car through the years though. I wouldn't trade those memories with that stang for the world.

30 years later (3 weeks ago) I purchased my 2nd stang (Perf. White 2010 V6 Auto w/pony package, comfort pkg, and sec. pkg) and couldn't be happier. Today's Mustangs are so much more advanced than yesteryear's. It's funny how "at home" I feel in this car. I wish my dad was still here to experience it. I have a feeling he would feel right at home as well. :winks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was actually looking at a 1974 Mach 1 before I located the Coupe. Although not my favourite gen of Pony, I was planning to have some fun with it.

Figured given my height, and the size of the car, it would be like a go-cart. And it would've made a killer sleeper... the kids in their ricers wouldn't know what hit them :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
162 Posts
Look at the list of available colors... Today most cars are available in they gray scale from white to black (counting silver), red or dark red (and sometimes both), a dark and/or light blue, and possibly a beige or muted gold. Even our 2010 Mustangs only have Grabber Blue outside the norm... And recently Screaming Yellow and Grabber Yellow...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really do not think the issue was so much the body style but the overall styling approach. It appeared that they were trying to get away from the "sport coupe" segment into more of a luxury coup.

There is really nothing sporty looking about this vehicle and look at the advertisement and the people in it along with the surroundings, it is clear they were not going after your typical "Pony Car" crowd.

I would imagine with the correct stying and performance set-up this could be an attractive "sports coupe".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Say what they may - the Mustang II will always have a place in my heart.
I had several while in highschool, (74, 75, 76, & 77) the girl i dated (now my wife) had a 77 hatchback, my parents had both a 74 Mach I and a 77 Cobra II, my sister had a 77 ghia w/ crank-in moonroof.
They were what they were - look at any 74 thru 78 anything and compare the mustang still had the "look".
(more like what about the 72 and 73 models?)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My buddy had a '78 King Cobra, orange with 302-2bbl / auto and t-tops. Man it was ugly!

Fun fact - the '78 King Cobra is the first Mustang to ever wear the 5.0 engine displacement callout.

So fast forward 15 years... my buddy finds a '77 Cobra II with a roller 302 and 5spd. We drive 12hrs to Manhattan, KS to trade a guy a NICE '01 Jaguar for this car... that we have never seen. Fortunately it's actually well built and makes it all the way home without any problems.

It's kind of a neat car, but hasn't convinced me yet that I need one. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
The one that "pushed" me along..

I had a Brown (baby sh*t) with a tan vinyl interior 1976 Mach I hatchback. It was a 2.8L V6 with a 3spd auto. I loved that car, except for trying to start it on cold southern CT day. As a junior / senior in hs in 1983-84, it was a greater car compared to my mom's Datsun 210 wagon. It is the car that "taught" me that handling is just as important as horsepower (or lack there of). I love it now and wish I knew then what I know now about cars (not a whole lot). I would have ripped the V6 out for a 5.0 V8, but I don't think the rent's would have gone for that ;^). I wish I can find a picture of it to have.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
never owned one, but back in the 70s before most here weren't thought of, the car sold like crazy and was a nice option in a day of the O'bama...oops, Carter "oil embargo/gas lines" days...one stupid democrat deserves another right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I want a 78 King Cobra with the T tops...and I don't know why...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a '74 Mustang II hatchback. I loved that little car. It had the 4 cylinder with an automatic. Yeah, it was slow, but it handled pretty well. It was one of the few cars I've owned that just "fit me".

1 - 20 of 93 Posts