Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
a friend of mine is having troubles with her 2013 Mustang GT automatic.
We recently added Airaid Intake + BBK TB + Bama 93 Race tune. The combo is fantastic.. nailing 369 rwhp (despite the AT gearbox!). However it has driveability issues at speeds below 25-30mph.

Especially when driving out of a parking lot or just cruising at low speeds the car just surges forward and back even with slightest touch on the throttle. The surge is sometimes so strong, it is even visible from outside. Sometimes, when the car leaps forward it keeps on shaking back and forth even though I am completely off the throttle pedal. Seems like the only way to stop it from doing it is just brake and start all over.. :?:

Although it drives just perfect at any speed above 30mph, I cant really figure out if the low speed surge is caused by the automatic gearbox settings or the throttle setting? we even tried Performance tune and the results are similar.

I'd like to ask AT owners how tuned their cars.. which tuner did you use? did you have the same low speed drivability issues? How was it solved? I heard Brenspeed is pretty good especially with AT tuning.. is that so?

no offence to Bama here. I recently tested my MT 5.0 with both brenspeed and Bama tunes. They put exactly the same figures on the dyno. Awesome tuners.. but maybe brenspeed is a little more experienced in tuning low speed driveable AT cars?
thanks guys.
Baris

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Baris, have you contacted BAMA? You should be able to pull a Datalog and email it to them, I would PM AMShaneLesky(AFM screen name) your concern, nothing against Brenspeed, but you have paid for a BAMA tune, and they will do everything they can to make it right! I had a issue with powerless at the top of 4th gear, Mike Wilson didn't need a Datalog, he looked at my tune file/ mods on my car, determined the issue, and sent me a new tune in less than 24 hours. Hope all is well, let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Mine drives perfectly smooth. Did you accidently leave in the sound tube? I did at first and it ran like crap at low rpm's. Came home, took it out and it ran like a champ.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The old race tune used to do that for me, it had a very touchy throttle and rough jumpy shifts. Now it's a lot smoother and the throttle isn't nearly as touchy. She might have the older version, have her get a new one and maybe even send in a datalog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Make sure that the tube is out of the inside of the Airaid (Where the MAF sensor is) It isn't needed when you have a tune and will cause some shenanigans.

·
Registered
525 Posts
VMP is highly regarded when tuning the autos. Perfect driveability and when you nail it the car just rips.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not the best of service or communication but he has good base tunes Jon Lund.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Guys,
a friend of mine is having troubles with her 2013 Mustang GT automatic.
We recently added Airaid Intake + BBK TB + Bama 93 Race tune. The combo is fantastic.. nailing 369 rwhp (despite the AT gearbox!). However it has driveability issues at speeds below 25-30mph.

Especially when driving out of a parking lot or just cruising at low speeds the car just surges forward and back even with slightest touch on the throttle. The surge is sometimes so strong, it is even visible from outside. Sometimes, when the car leaps forward it keeps on shaking back and forth even though I am completely off the throttle pedal. Seems like the only way to stop it from doing it is just brake and start all over.. :?:

Although it drives just perfect at any speed above 30mph, I cant really figure out if the low speed surge is caused by the automatic gearbox settings or the throttle setting? we even tried Performance tune and the results are similar.

I'd like to ask AT owners how tuned their cars.. which tuner did you use? did you have the same low speed drivability issues? How was it solved? I heard Brenspeed is pretty good especially with AT tuning.. is that so?

no offence to Bama here. I recently tested my MT 5.0 with both brenspeed and Bama tunes. They put exactly the same figures on the dyno. Awesome tuners.. but maybe brenspeed is a little more experienced in tuning low speed driveable AT cars?
thanks guys.
Baris
by9468840,

I'm really sorry to hear your '13 is having surging symptoms at low cruise speeds! That's definitely not normal with our typical Bama tunes. Don't worry though, I'll definitely get your Bama tune squared away asap!

There could have been a minor mistake when writing your custom Bama tune or info missing on your tuning sheet. It doesn't matter really, either way I'm going to have our lead tuner Mike Wilson take a look at your current file. Once he sees/verifies your current mods/setup, he should be able to pick out any mistakes. Or, he'll get you to take a datalog, so he can have a closer look at your sensors, if needed.

Shoot me over a PM with any previous order number of yours and I'll have Mike give you a call with an update. Also, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts