Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you planning on driving your mustang into the ground?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to post a poll with this thread. I haven't done this before, so I apologize if the poll does not appear.

I'd like to hear from you 2011+ Mustang (V6, GT, GT350, GT500, BOSS) owners who say, "To hell with future market value! I wanna bleed my Mustang for every drop of thoroughbred blood I can squeeze from it! To 100,000 miles and BEYOND!!!"

Any takers?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
driving your mustang into the ground

here is a little poll just to get a headcount. Hope this is what you wanted bro, i made a new thread and merged it since you can't make a poll once the thread is posted already, only right when you start the thread

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I didn't vote cuz I'm somewhere in the middle. Mine's a driver yet I plan OCD maintenance, upkeep, and detailing, no out and out thrashing... however I am perfectly willing to mash the pedal and to have some fun now and then. Otherwise, what's the point? :winks

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The poll got all jacked up. There was supposed to be three options. I had reworded the ooptions but somehow it posted all wrong. I'd delete it and re-do it if I could figure it out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine is a DD 9 months out of the year, and I drive a lot. Being a massed produced car, it ain't like this will have future market value anyways. At least not for at least 30 years. I'll care less about it at that point unless I totally %&^*ed up in life. She'll rack up as many miles as it can before I dump it or relegate it to toy status like my 74 Challenger.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This really bites! I can't fix the poll. Here are the options I intended:

1. Garage queen: sunny weekends only; LOW miles! She's a future classic!

2. Drive her to DEATH! See if she has more than 100K in her! 300K is even better!

3. Drive daily but keep it conservative; she's gonna be traded in a few years.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a little poll just to get a headcount. Hope this is what you wanted bro, i made a new thread and merged it since you can't make a poll once the thread is posted already, only right when you start the thread
Hey, thanx for the help! :bigthumbsup Is there any way you can adjust it? I posted my intended options a little further down from my OP. Thanx much!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To respond to my own OP: I intend to drive her until she won't go anymore. I'll pamper her as much as I can and probably trade her if/when a better deal comes along, but I plan to have this Pony for a long, long time! I've owned her since September 2010 and have 19K miles on her. Not a huge number, but still a little higher than average, I guess. And yes, I DO like to get down on it, every (reasonably safe) chance I get.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I stopped driving my Grand Prix GTP at 258,xxx miles (and I still have it). I plan to raise the bar with my 2011 mustang.....

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Hey, thanx for the help! :bigthumbsup Is there any way you can adjust it? I posted my intended options a little further down from my OP. Thanx much!

Working on it now, i didn't and still don't see that post so thats why i posted the selections i did.

Pretty sure its set how you want it now :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I said "garage queen" but there really wasn't an option that seemed to fit. I try to take care of her and being a convertible it doesn't get driven too much in the winter. I only drive to work one day per week but try to drive her whenever I can and plan to keep her for a while. Not expecting her to ever become a classic, just age gracefully.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I chose to run it into the groud @ 300k for a few reasons:

1. Never owned a car from new that I kept that long to actually make it to 100k, let alone 300k.
2. I want this to be the first new car I've actually kept long enough to pay off.
3. My eldest daughter has already staked her claim on the car and is a firm believer it needs to be kept in the family so that she can inherit it. She loves the Mustang and loves it even more now that it's a super rare combo of MCA/PP/etc.

I'm sure there are a few more but number 3 is the biggest reason =)

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said "garage queen" but there really wasn't an option that seemed to fit. I try to take care of her and being a convertible it doesn't get driven too much in the winter. I only drive to work one day per week but try to drive her whenever I can and plan to keep her for a while. Not expecting her to ever become a classic, just age gracefully.
Heavy winter states are a little bit different. You almost have no choice in that case.

Big :bigthumbsup on aging gracefully!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I chose to run it into the groud @ 300k for a few reasons:

1. Never owned a car from new that I kept that long to actually make it to 100k, let alone 300k.
2. I want this to be the first new car I've actually kept long enough to pay off.
3. My eldest daughter has already staked her claim on the car and is a firm believer it needs to be kept in the family so that she can inherit it. She loves the Mustang and loves it even more now that it's a super rare combo of MCA/PP/etc.

I'm sure there are a few more but number 3 is the biggest reason =)
I've never driven one to 300K either. 145K was the most I got out of a Toyota Tacoma I bought new and drove for 9 years. Got $1600 trade-in when I gave it up for the Mustang. Not a whole lot, but considering how sand-blasted and faded it was from the desert, and it was missing the passenger side mirror, I'd say that was decent for a 9 year old mini truck with that many miles.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would be interesting to see if any BOSS or GT500 owners would like you drive them into the ground! I doubt any of them would, but you never can tell who's freely slinging the exotic car cash around out there, and consider GT500's and BOSS Mustangs disposable playground fodder.

·
Registered
585 Posts
2005 Mazda 6 I'm trading in has 163,000 miles on it. I average about 25,000 miles a year, 15,000 just for my work commute. My Mustang will be my one and only car, but I plan on maintaining it extremely well. Resale value be damned! I fully expect to keep this car for years (maybe decades) even when I eventually start a family and need a larger car, when the Mustang will become the fun weekend car. As of now, only way I see getting rid of it would be to trade it in for a GT! But I don't even have my Mustang yet, this is only what I'm hoping to do with it.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2005 Mazda 6 I'm trading in has 163,000 miles on it. I average about 25,000 miles a year, 15,000 just for my work commute. My Mustang will be my one and only car, but I plan on maintaining it extremely well. Resale value be damned! I fully expect to keep this car for years (maybe decades) even when I eventually start a family and need a larger car, when the Mustang will become the fun weekend car. As of now, only way I see getting rid of it would be to trade it in for a GT! But I don't even have my Mustang yet, this is only what I'm hoping to do with it.
Nothing wrong with that! You don't have to currently own to answer this poll!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts