Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you planning on driving your mustang into the ground?

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I plan on driving it into the ground. Last two cars I owned averaged about 150,000 miles before they became too costly to maintain ownership. I'll drive it for as long as it doesn't cost me more to own it than fix it on a year to year basis.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I try and keep mine below the 4k RPMs... Except when I hit the autocross track ;) Having fun there is what this car is all about!

I detail my car weekly, hand wash, clean interior and hand wax 1-2 times a month. A bit of a clean freak here.

As far as miles, I will for sure keep her for 3 years, if not forever. I have a general rule of thumb, I will not get rid of my muscle car unless I get another muscle car. PERIOD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's still only a car

I love my 2011 V6 Convertible. It's kept in the garage when not driven, but I don't hesitate to drive it rain, shine or snow. I'm averaging 1100 miles a month and plan on keeping it many years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Plannin on keepin this one. Our original plan was to sell our 04 gt vert, get something economical and find a foxbody to play with. When the new 5.0s came out we were determined to get one and traded the vert in on it. Now my plan is to maybe sell my 91 25th anniversary bronco and find a fox since we're so pleased with the new 5.0s, so sexy!:gringreen

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, at this current point in time, I plan on keeping it forever.

However, if my income quadruples or triples after I get my MBA, then all bets are off. I love the 'stang, but I wouldn't mind having an M3 sedan as a practical daily driver or a gently used C6 Z06 as a toy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, at this current point in time, I plan on keeping it forever.

However, if my income quadruples or triples after I get my MBA, then all bets are off. I love the 'stang, but I wouldn't mind having an M3 sedan as a practical daily driver or a gently used C6 Z06 as a toy.
the 5.0 could be considered just a practical as an M3 and is way way cheaper... not to mention the M3 is performance based as well and only beat a 5.0 in a track comparison by like a tenth of a second. Also the parts for the M3 if something breaks are so expensive, and trust me those cars will have problems. I know people who buy those and they are always having problems. Im sure the M3 rides very smooth and probly smoother than these cars, but the price difference is unreasonable and ridiculous.

Edit: OP, I plan on keeping this car for years as I am young and am starting college. It will be a good while before I can buy my own car so i will have fun but it will be well taken car of.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the 5.0 could be considered just a practical as an M3 and is way way cheaper... not to mention the M3 is performance based as well and only beat a 5.0 in a track comparison by like a tenth of a second. Also the parts for the M3 if something breaks are so expensive, and trust me those cars will have problems. I know people who buy those and they are always having problems. Im sure the M3 rides very smooth and probly smoother than these cars, but the price difference is unreasonable and ridiculous.

Edit: OP, I plan on keeping this car for years as I am young and am starting college. It will be a good while before I can buy my own car so i will have fun but it will be well taken car of.
I've owned a 335xi, and while I used to think like you, BMWs are worth every penny. Yes, they're expensive, but nothing else drives like them even in their price range.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have said this about every Mustang I have owned, I plan on keeping her forever. Again, this is the plan but we shall see how long I can hang onto it. Also to answer the poll, I plan on driving her as much as possible. I'm starting out on a cross country trip in two weeks from California to Maine and back. By the time the year ends I will have over 20,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
IDK yet, but my track record tells me that I'll trade it in when I'm doing paying on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My V6 is a DD. I love it. Very confortable. A little too comfortable. I think some suspension mods are in order.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This car is fun but will be traded or sold before the warranty runs out. I always get bored with what ever I have and get whatever the latest and greatest is that I can afford.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've already got 15k on mine, and I'm 7 months in. I obviously hate the car.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My V6 is a DD. I love it. Very confortable. A little too comfortable. I think some suspension mods are in order.
:nogrinner Sho' 'nuff! these V6's have the power, but you sure can't feel it, relatively speaking, as it drives too darn smooth, even under WOT. Sure, it'll rock a little as you're moving through the gears hard from a dead launch, but it still absorbs an awful lot. I like for my car to beat on me a little in the 1/4, not rock me to sleep! :shigrin

·
Registered
125 Posts
2011 V6 Mustang 34100 miles on it and is a DD. (Purchased as new)
It replaced our 1996 Chevy Blazer DD with 197,000 on it and is the main reason we decided to try a Ford for the first time. It had that radiator clogging problem from all the rust the dex coolant caused inside the iron block. Has holes on all 8 of the freeze plugs and once our local mechanics pulled it out there was gunk backed all the way up inside the orifice. (purchased as new)

Other die hard vehicle that we still posess is a 1994 pontiac grad prx DDer which is still operational with 278,300 miles and counting. She just will not quit! I love it lol. (purchased as new)

We ussaly end up keeping our daily drivers because we really arnt carful as to how much we drive it. Simply get in and go, dont have to consider how many stops, dont have to worry how far we end up going compaired to our orginal plans.

We have yet to come across a car thats power train survives past 300k I am rooting for the mustang though.
However we dont keep BMWs, Mercs, thouse do get traded so i cant speek for thouse longevity.

Then the toys. . .Thouse are ussaly traded and swaped around with eaither dealers or private parties.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have said this about every Mustang I have owned, I plan on keeping her forever. Again, this is the plan but we shall see how long I can hang onto it. Also to answer the poll, I plan on driving her as much as possible. I'm starting out on a cross country trip in two weeks from California to Maine and back. By the time the year ends I will have over 20,000 miles on her.

^ this.
I have 11K on mine, next month will be a year. I plan on some long drives cruising around the USA this summer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Between 2 and 3. Try to keep the miles low, but make each mile as fun as possible, before I trade it in for 2015MY GT or a 5.0 in the future. Still deciding if I'd want a Mustang that's smaller than the perfect (imo) size right now.

So far only 3500 miles after 8 months.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Mine is not a daily driver. However, I want to have fun with it, but not totaly beat the piss out of it.

Mine is almost 5 months old and I only have 900 miles on her.

·
Registered
631 Posts
the 5.0 could be considered just a practical as an M3 and is way way cheaper
Huh? How is a two door pony car with a worthless back seat just as practical as a bonafide four door sedan? Money is irrelevant here, unless you don't have any. If I had the money for an M3, I would have an M3.

... not to mention the M3 is performance based as well and only beat a 5.0 in a track comparison by like a tenth of a second.
The M3 is so much more than a one dimensional race car. You don't buy an M3 because it's the fastest thing on four wheels.

Also the parts for the M3 if something breaks are so expensive, and trust me those cars will have problems.
:heha:

And these Mustangs don't have problems? This is also largely irrelevant if you buy new or CPO. Warranties are your friend.

I know people who buy those and they are always having problems.
Again, a bit like all of the people around here having problems?

·
Registered
677 Posts
My 2011 GT is 11 months old now and I have 2543 miles on it. I Spend more timetaking care of it than driving..I don't plan on ever trading it, Hell..I'm 77 -it is a very nice ride.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts