Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you planning on driving your mustang into the ground?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll be keeping my GT unless it becomes some kind of unreliable money pit. So far, only about 1K miles after 2 months of ownership. I do wish I could drive it more often, but I take public transit to work and don't really have time to drive it once I get home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will drive my mustang to the ground... I doubt M3 will ever able to do that without taking a second house loan!

If I had the money for an M3, I would have an M3.?
Then you should have brought an M3. You will need to Bring More Wallets!

You don't buy an M3 because it's the fastest thing on four wheels.?
People brought M3 because it is B M W. To me it is widely misconcepted POS...

Again, a bit like all of the people around here having problems?
Then you should own a B M W product before you mouth out here. B M W will charge every single little thing to your account even it is new car warranty. Guess how much BMW charged me for a fuse change under new car warranty? $30! Yup! B ring M ore W allet!

Every new cars have issues here and there because it is built and design by humans. People make mistakes. The question is how well the workmanship!

BMW has more share of problems than ford... google you will know...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I will drive my mustang to the ground... I doubt M3 will ever able to do that without taking a second house loan!

Then you should have brought an M3. You will need to Bring More Wallets!

People brought M3 because it is B M W. To me it is widely misconcepted POS...

Then you should own a B M W product before you mouth out here. B M W will charge every single little thing to your account even it is new car warranty. Guess how much BMW charged me for a fuse change under new car warranty? $30! Yup! B ring M ore W allet!

Every new cars have issues here and there because it is built and design by humans. People make mistakes. The question is how well the workmanship!

BMW has more share of problems than ford... google you will know...
Considering you can't even string words together into a coherent sentence, I'm going to take a pass on responding to this one.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This really bites! I can't fix the poll. Here are the options I intended:

1. Garage queen: sunny weekends only; LOW miles! She's a future classic!

2. Drive her to DEATH! See if she has more than 100K in her! 300K is even better!

3. Drive daily but keep it conservative; she's gonna be traded in a few years.

Thats exactly what I see?????

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm planning on being buried in my 2012 GT500. It's conceivable that I could get the upgrade itch if/when a redesigned Cobra or similar comes out, but if it gets much smaller I won't be interested (I'm 6'5") and I don't care for the fact that it'll almost certainly have IRS.

I'm guessing we won't see a Cobra until a year or two after the redesign also, but who knows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll treat her right, because I fully intend to roll over 200k with her.

I don't commute to work very often though (live in central NJ - work out of NYC as a freelance programmer but I only go into the city when I have to for meetings).

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I typically keep my vehicles a long time, with the exception of the 2010 v6 but it had 37,000 miles when I traded for the 5.0. I daily drive my mustang daily, and stay on top of all the maintenance so that it will last me a long time. So to answer the question, I will beat the hell out of it as a daily driver (4 seasons) take car of the maintenance, and clean it accordingly but intend to keep this one for many years to come!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I chose to run it into the groud @ 300k for a few reasons:

1. Never owned a car from new that I kept that long to actually make it to 100k, let alone 300k.
2. I want this to be the first new car I've actually kept long enough to pay off.
3. My eldest daughter has already staked her claim on the car and is a firm believer it needs to be kept in the family so that she can inherit it. She loves the Mustang and loves it even more now that it's a super rare combo of MCA/PP/etc.

I'm sure there are a few more but number 3 is the biggest reason =)

My thoughts exactly on 1 to 3. My 4 year old son Brody climbs in and acts like he is driving, and says "daddy Im gonna drive to the park be right back" WOW....................:laugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Growly is a Garage Queen......... Will only hit the streets probly twice a week.
Had my Challenger for a year and a half and only had 970 miles on it when it was traded off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm in the middle as well, I plan to keep my car for a long time (7+ years) or until I A) get in a better financial position or B) get into accident, etc. out of my control. Otherwise just mod her to death and eventually sell when it has some high miles on her.

Mine's a DD and love driving it hard =)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll likely be driving mine to the death. If I need a bigger car/van/SUV in 5-7 years for family reasons, I'll most likely keep the Mustang for myself.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
Both my wife and I say you will pry our Mustangs out of our cold, dead hands, lol

Seriously though The plan is (for now anyway) is to DD both of them, then retire hers from daily duty around 2018, clean it up, and keep it as a toy. We plan on taking it to the 75th anniversary party in 2039 as a classic, lol.

Mine, we aren't exactly sure what we are going to do with it yet. Since I took a shorter loan on mine, it will be paid off in 2019, and we will probably be (hopefully) getting ready for grandkids by then. I guess it will really depend on what we get her as a DD in 2018, and what I am feeling like looking at by then for myself. I plan on retiring from my job in 2025, so what ever I get in 2019-2020 will probably be my last brand new fun car before I settle in to more affordable grand-pa transportation. I won't say NEVER, but I really can't see trying to maintain 2 "old" Mustangs well into retirement while paying for 2 newer DD's, but we shall see.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Wow, another poll thread from yesteryear that I wish I could change my answer to. Originally chose drive till death, but I'm having second thoughts. Life is too short to own one car, and I think I'll give this one the boot in 5 years or less unless I land a hefty job and enough space to keep it around.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is my second car. It will do for me just fine. I had my last garage queen for 12 years and only sold it to pay off a family debt. I can only see selling this one if
1) Ford builds a better looking and faster base line GT. (2015 is not my cup of tea.)
2) a Bad accident
3) it turns out to be a lemon.
As it sits now. I'm making memories with my kid in this car and she can figure out what to do with it in 13 years when shes old enough to drive. Maybe :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I drove my last one for 177,000 very reliable miles.

When I traded it in, while still solid and reliable, it had the following issues:

* paint/clearcoat getting tired
* rust patch on rear passenger side fender
* dent on the same fender
* transmission bearings getting noisy
* minor oil leak from valve cover gasket
* something was out of kilter with the clutch pedal (shaking at low speeds)
* drivers' side leather seat ripped

All in all, if you paid someone to do a professional job, all this work would have cost at least $10,000, and that's just for the immediate needs with a near-200k mile car. The dealer knew all of the issues when I traded it in. What amazed me is I still got a decent trade-in value and they sold it the next day to someone who they let walk through their inventory before sending cars to auction. One of my co-workers swears he's seen it driving around locally. These cars still have value to someone no matter what the miles.

So these cars will go forever, but I think next time I might trade it in a little sooner, before the exterior condition gets so grim! I hope the new owner of my '00 at least fixed the dent/rust and painted it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll be honest it's not my DD, I work as a HS teacher, i don't want it on school grounds. But every chance I get where I need a car I drive it. I went out to pick up an alternator for my wife's car yesterday, I went down one mile of pot holed dirt Nat'l Forest road out and back, drove it in the rain I don't give a F$%K, I lust love to drive it. I tell my sons it will have a well-used patina about it by the time you guys get it, you may as well count on restoring it. I do my best to keep it nice, but I'm not OCD about it, you can't drive 'em when you are dead, so enjoy it now!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I drove my last one for 177,000 very reliable miles.

When I traded it in, while still solid and reliable, it had the following issues:

* paint/clearcoat getting tired
* rust patch on rear passenger side fender
* dent on the same fender
* transmission bearings getting noisy
* minor oil leak from valve cover gasket
* something was out of kilter with the clutch pedal (shaking at low speeds)
* drivers' side leather seat ripped

All in all, if you paid someone to do a professional job, all this work would have cost at least $10,000, and that's just for the immediate needs with a near-200k mile car. The dealer knew all of the issues when I traded it in. What amazed me is I still got a decent trade-in value and they sold it the next day to someone who they let walk through their inventory before sending cars to auction. One of my co-workers swears he's seen it driving around locally. These cars still have value to someone no matter what the miles.

So these cars will go forever, but I think next time I might trade it in a little sooner, before the exterior condition gets so grim! I hope the new owner of my '00 at least fixed the dent/rust and painted it.
Esh... that doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Esh... that doesn't sound good.
Drove it all winter in the northeast, every winter (road salt). It didn't help that some bozo who wasn't looking pulled out of a parking lot into my RHS rear fender while I was driving past him in February of last year.

The oil leak was very minor but was kind of fun because if I made a hard left while accelerating, oil would drip from this little spot where it collected on top of the bell housing and hit the exhaust pipes, creating this nice big blue cloud. Kind of my own little on-demand James Bond-esque smoke screen.

And the T-45 tranny bearing noise - it wasn't too bad and I wonder if my Steeda Tri-Ax made it sound worse than it was.

The clutch pedal I never figured out. Probably something was just loose. It only happened at very low speeds. Some kind of vibration.

The drivers' seat was ripped right below the middle of my rear end - too many chili cook-offs?

Still, someone thought it was worth it and snapped it right up!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not sure if I will keep it long enough to drive it in to the ground, but somedays I want to drive it in to a wall.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts