Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are you planning on driving your mustang into the ground?

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
My cars fit more the "garage queen" status and are mostly thursday to sunday driven. But it´s not because I want to have a "future classic", they are not and will not become classic cars, I just want to keep them in great shape and for as long as I can. I don´t care about future value, my new edge is worth very little even if its in great shape, but to me its worth a hundred thousand smiles each weekend.

The 2010 is daily driven, but not beaten up either.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I guess with less than 4,000 miles on the odometer after over 3 years, it might take a while to drive mine into the ground. :winks

·
Registered
334 Posts
2011 GT/CS paid off last summer, 18,000 miles (DD) now, and will drive it until it blows up. Buying cars is a waste of time to me until they die. Plenty of better things for me to spend money on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm 20 right now and I got my 2012 V6 stang when I was 18. So I plan on keeping it for 10 years. Assuming i get into medical school and graduate *crosses his fingers* , I'll be about 28-30. By then I'll be just starting off with my medical practice so I'll most likely get a mustang GT for 5 years. Then I'll definitely have enough money for a GT500 around 35-36 years old. Then I'll keep that baby and keep that as my daily driver and buy a Ferarri 458 or Lamborghini Huracan for the weekends:D

That's all based on a large assumption that I get into med school...better get off these forums and start studying!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
My goal is to pass my Mustang GT on to my son when he gets his driver's license. He's 2 right now, so I've got a long way to go. It almost certainly won't be my only car over that span (if Mazda would ever release a Mazdaspeed Miata again I might have to have one...) but I'm never going to get rid of my Mustang.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My goal is to pass my Mustang GT on to my son when he gets his driver's license. He's 2 right now, so I've got a long way to go. It almost certainly won't be my only car over that span (if Mazda would ever release a Mazdaspeed Miata again I might have to have one...) but I'm never going to get rid of my Mustang.
Just buy an old Miata and send it to Flyin' Miata. They'll do a complete turn-key LSx swap.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm surprised this trhead is still alive. Interesting, but expected, mix of responses.

As for future classics, I suspect the FR500/SCJ platforms, the Shelby models including the V6 GTS variety (especially now that Mr. Carroll Shelby has passed), Boss, and the 2015 50th Anniversary edition will eventually fall into that category. Maaaaaybe the rare Lava Red V6 PP...maybe... But almost definitely the official 50th editions will only see asphalt on the way home from the dealer, then live their lives in Beverly Hills mansions (Burbank/Jay Leno?) until they show up on eBay Motors for astronomical prices in another 30 years.

That aside, I still intend to drive mine until the wheels fall off. 47K+ miles after nearly 4 years, so I'm not exactly living up to it yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I chose door #3. When I bought it, the Mustang was supposed to be a daily driver...year-round. Yet I found I can't bear to take the thing out on freshly salted roads. So, much of the winter I drive one of the pickups. Both are full-size; just getting them in and out of the garage without bending something is a bit of work.

I'm hoping to keep it 6 to 10 years and then look around to see what's available and where the technology is. Happy with what I've got and not feeling the need for IRS or more power. May or may not get another Mustang even though I like this one more every day.

In the meantime, one of the pickups might get swapped for a smaller Toyota or Nissan pickup. A base model with a 4-banger and stick would be a good beater/utility vehicle that wouldn't cause anguish when driven in winter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Growly is a Garage Queen......... Will only hit the streets probly twice a week.
Had my Challenger for a year and a half and only had 970 miles on it when it was traded off.
Speednut, you're missing something. They run a lot nicer when they get broken in. I know my Mustang does now that it's pushing 10 K miles; same with my F150.

Keeping it low mileage, you're never getting to know the nicer side of the car you bought.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
If I had the means, I'd scoop up a second vehicle. I like the idea of a 2015, but I think I'd rather go for a 4-door Audi. Don't have the bucks for either. :p

·
Registered
946 Posts
Want to run into the ground? No, I'd like to sell it in a couple of years. But you never know what the future holds and so I may end up holding onto the car for longer than I would like. Cars are my primary hobby and I like spending money on them. There are too many awesome cars out there that I'd like to experience. Part of me would like to trade the mustang in on a STI or Evo. Not because I think they're better cars, per se, but they have a bit of a legendary reputation for performance--just like the mustang. And they go about that performance in a much different way than the mustang. But not having ever driven an Evo or STI, I may hate them after taking one for a drive---and I would then be keeping the mustang for a bit longer.

A mustang was never on my must-own list, but I'm glad I've gotten to experience one. But in a few years, it will be time to experience something different. In the meantime, I'm excited to get the mustang aligned on Monday so that I can try out the new suspension mods. I haven't been this excited for a Monday in a very long time! wrenchin.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Want to run into the ground? No, I'd like to sell it in a couple of years. But you never know what the future holds and so I may end up holding onto the car for longer than I would like. Cars are my primary hobby and I like spending money on them. There are too many awesome cars out there that I'd like to experience. Part of me would like to trade the mustang in on a STI or Evo. Not because I think they're better cars, per se, but they have a bit of a legendary reputation for performance--just like the mustang. And they go about that performance in a much different way than the mustang. But not having ever driven an Evo or STI, I may hate them after taking one for a drive---and I would then be keeping the mustang for a bit longer.

A mustang was never on my must-own list, but I'm glad I've gotten to experience one. But in a few years, it will be time to experience something different. In the meantime, I'm excited to get the mustang aligned on Monday so that I can try out the new suspension mods. I haven't been this excited for a Monday in a very long time! wrenchin.gif
I feel very much the same way. I'm 26 years old and have owned around a dozen cars so far in my life. I just like a little of everything! Having said that, I'm trying to take a more pragmatic approach going forward. Instead of changing cars every year or two, I want to hang on to this one until it's paid off. Then I can add to the stable without having to sacrifice anything!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ha ha, I see that somehow I must have hit the wrong button, as mine is no garage queen. A daily 65 mile commute, plus weekends. Its a fun daily driver, and auto-x car for sure, and I'd like to keep it as my daily commuter for another 100K or more if I can.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
As long as it continues to run great and I can afford it I would like to keep it. I'll say that as a toy for someone over 50 I hope it lasts as long as I do. I am NOT under the impression it will be worth much when I'm dead the V8's loose value for my expected lifetime. Subject to change if I hit lotto.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was initially planning to flip it for a 2015, but considering the poor trade-in value (even though I got my car for a good price) I don't think that makes sense any more for me. With the money I would have to put in to get into a 2015, I could mod my 2013 so it would run rings around a stock 2015. Plus, it would be paid off that much sooner (important as I would like to track the car). As well, my daughter will need a car in a few years and I'd rather get her something new-ish (that I could also enjoy coolbeans.gif). So I selected "drive her into the ground".

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did not vote. I'm going to drive my Mustang winter & summer until I decide to replace it. Could be with a new 2015 Mustang or I may go to a performance sedan.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I plan to drive mine a lot for a long time, but hopefully I won't actually drive it into the ground!

I have 70K miles already, at this pace I will hit 100K in 2 or 3 more years ; right now it still looks and drives like new and I plan to keep it that way.

Since I do have such high miles, my trade-in value is going down fast, so I'll probably continue to mod it and will eventually supercharge as a more cost-effective alternative to trading in for the Coyote engine.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
Both my wife and I say you will pry our Mustangs out of our cold, dead hands, lol

Seriously though The plan is (for now anyway) is to DD both of them, then retire hers from daily duty around 2018, clean it up, and keep it as a toy. We plan on taking it to the 75th anniversary party in 2039 as a classic, lol.

Mine, we aren't exactly sure what we are going to do with it yet. Since I took a shorter loan on mine, it will be paid off in 2019, and we will probably be (hopefully) getting ready for grandkids by then. I guess it will really depend on what we get her as a DD in 2018, and what I am feeling like looking at by then for myself. I plan on retiring from my job in 2025, so what ever I get in 2019-2020 will probably be my last brand new fun car before I settle in to more affordable grand-pa transportation. I won't say NEVER, but I really can't see trying to maintain 2 "old" Mustangs well into retirement while paying for 2 newer DD's, but we shall see.
My wife and I had been looking at this answer I previously posted, and it seems like we are leaning towards keeping them both for a very long time now.

Mileage wise, we are only putting about 12k a year on hers, and at the current rate 7500 a year on mine, so they should last in DD duty for quite a number of years (mine especially).

We do see another full size truck on the horizon (we are missing the F150 even more than I thought we would) so that will probably be what we get in 2018 as a shared vehicle.

We would still need to retire her Mustang from DD duty around 2019-2020 if we plan on keeping it well on into our retirement years, so the next new DD will be for her-and most probably something with 4 doors if there are grandchildren to be hauled around.

Depending on how expensive the truck ends up being, we will look into something smaller and cheaper for me to drive everyday when my Mustang gets retired from DD service (or maybe I will just DD the new truck)-that way we will both be able to keep our toys as we get older thumbsup3.gif

The fly in the ointment will probably end up being this, however: After years (by then) of finally being able to drive my dream car everyday, will I have the fortitude to put it away and drive something a little more pedestrian on a daily basis? I hope so, or all plans may have to be scrapped and then we will be forced to offload both Mustangs and share a newer one, which will mean many domestics in our household, LOL.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My wife and I had been looking at this answer I previously posted, and it seems like we are leaning towards keeping them both for a very long time now.

Mileage wise, we are only putting about 12k a year on hers, and at the current rate 7500 a year on mine, so they should last in DD duty for quite a number of years (mine especially).

We do see another full size truck on the horizon (we are missing the F150 even more than I thought we would) so that will probably be what we get in 2018 as a shared vehicle.

We would still need to retire her Mustang from DD duty around 2019-2020 if we plan on keeping it well on into our retirement years, so the next new DD will be for her-and most probably something with 4 doors if there are grandchildren to be hauled around.

Depending on how expensive the truck ends up being, we will look into something smaller and cheaper for me to drive everyday when my Mustang gets retired from DD service (or maybe I will just DD the new truck)-that way we will both be able to keep our toys as we get older thumbsup3.gif

The fly in the ointment will probably end up being this, however: After years (by then) of finally being able to drive my dream car everyday, will I have the fortitude to put it away and drive something a little more pedestrian on a daily basis? I hope so, or all plans may have to be scrapped and then we will be forced to offload both Mustangs and share a newer one, which will mean many domestics in our household, LOL.
I feel the same way about missing having a truck. My gf just paid off her Cruze, and I should have my car paid for middle of next year. The plan is to buy an early nineties Tacoma or Nissan hardbody (extended cab an 4x4 are must haves) and then retire my 3.7 from DD duty to weekend toy. Plus having another vehicle to DD means I can have the Mustang torn apart with no sense of urgency.

What can I say, I like to fish and hunt. A mustang is doable for those days but not ideal lol.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts