Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 v6 manual w/ exhaust and gears (no t-lok)

2003 v6 manual w/ exhaust, intake, underdrivers, and SCT tuned w/ a 93 octane map?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
2000 v6 manual w/ exhaust and gears (no t-lok)

2003 v6 manual w/ exhaust, intake, underdrivers, and SCT tuned w/ a 93 octane map?
Tough one, Neither of you have t-lok, so a lot depends on the driver.

I'd have to do the math, but I'd bet on the 2000 to 60 mph or so, but it would get blown out of the water in the 1/4 mile,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kscoyote said:
Tough one, Neither of you have t-lok, so a lot depends on the driver.

I'd have to do the math, but I'd bet on the 2000 to 60 mph or so, but it would get blown out of the water in the 1/4 mile,
i thought it would be the other way around

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
i thought it would be the other way around
no, the higher the gear ratio, the more power you have at lower rpms, it's a torque multiplier.

4.11s will multiply torque at lowre rpms, but will decrease the power of the engine at higher rpms.

Think of a 10 speed bike. 1st gear (numerically high) will get you going faster (acceleration), but you can spin in it as fast as you want, you're not going to go as FAST as 10th gear (numerically lower).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kscoyote said:
no, the higher the gear ratio, the more power you have at lower rpms, it's a torque multiplier.

4.11s will multiply torque at lowre rpms, but will decrease the power of the engine at higher rpms.

Think of a 10 speed bike. 1st gear (numerically high) will get you going faster (acceleration), but you can spin in it as fast as you want, you're not going to go as FAST as 10th gear (numerically lower).
i see.. about t-lok, will that increase power at all? i know it'll help traction, but it seems like power to both wheels would help. also, i don't know if this will make a difference, but when someone sits in my passenger seat it feels like i lose power. could this be because all the power is to the side they're putting weight on, or no?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
i see.. about t-lok, will that increase power at all? i know it'll help traction, but it seems like power to both wheels would help. also, i don't know if this will make a difference, but when someone sits in my passenger seat it feels like i lose power. could this be because all the power is to the side they're putting weight on, or no?
no it's just weight. Weight slows you down. Think of the bike again. the car weighs 3300 lbs or so with you in it, add another 5% (165 lbs) and you're gonna slow down. If you were riding your bike (assuming you weigh 180 lbs) you and the bike are gonna weigh 210 lbs. throw on another 10 lbs and race someone of equal weight without the 10 lbs.

You might check your air filter though . ..

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
it doesn't increase power, but it increases your ability to put it down.

For example, in a race between man and dog, who will be faster?

Same with the WRX, it's got 4x as much traction as you have. with t-lok, it would only have 50% more traction.

you can increase the traction by going to wider & larger wheels, but then you have increased weight & rotating mass.

Trak-lok increases your traction without increasing your rotating mass (much)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kscoyote said:
no it's just weight. Weight slows you down. Think of the bike again. the car weighs 3300 lbs or so with you in it, add another 5% (165 lbs) and you're gonna slow down. If you were riding your bike (assuming you weigh 180 lbs) you and the bike are gonna weigh 210 lbs. throw on another 10 lbs and race someone of equal weight without the 10 lbs.

it's actually really funny you say that. my friend w/ the 03 looked at something under my hood last night and he pointed out how dirty mine was. i thought i would wait until i got a cai to get the filter with it, but could it be making that much of a difference? also, he said that my air intake silencer wasn't just removed.. but more was. it was like this when i bought the car, and i always thought it was just the intake silencer. attached is a pic from mustangworld.com .... and circled is what's removed from my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
it's actually really funny you say that. my friend w/ the 03 looked at something under my hood last night and he pointed out how dirty mine was. i thought i would wait until i got a cai to get the filter with it, but could it be making that much of a difference? also, he said that my air intake silencer wasn't just removed.. but more was. it was like this when i bought the car, and i always thought it was just the intake silencer. attached is a pic from mustangworld.com .... and circled is what's removed from my car.
So it's just got a filter there with no shield!?!?

you've gotta be kidding me!

:shocked:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
attached....

Attachments

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
attached....
yeah, it's dirty, and it's sucking in hot air from your fan. and it's SMALLER than the OEM filter.

that'll hurt your performance, throttle response, and fuel economy.

Pick up an airbox from a salvage yard, ASAP.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kscoyote said:
yeah, it's dirty, and it's sucking in hot air from your fan. and it's SMALLER than the OEM filter.

that'll hurt your performance, throttle response, and fuel economy.

Pick up an airbox from a salvage yard, ASAP.
i'm gonna put on a friend of mine's who installed the mac... if we can figure out how.

i'm also going to get a new filter.. any particular kind i should get.. or should i just tell the people at autozone what i want and they'll give it to me? how much does one usually cost?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
i'm gonna put on a friend of mine's who installed the mac... if we can figure out how.

i'm also going to get a new filter.. any particular kind i should get.. or should i just tell the people at autozone what i want and they'll give it to me? how much does one usually cost?
a friend's what? CAI, airbox, or filter? or both?

anything would be better than that!

a K&N would be the best with an OEM (or GreenFilter, Holley, whatever) you want a reuseable filter.

they generally cost between 35-40 dollars. But they come with a million mile warranty.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kscoyote said:
a friend's what? CAI, airbox, or filter? or both?
the black part that goes over the filter. is this okay? and is it hard to do?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
the black part that goes over the filter. is this okay? and is it hard to do?
No it's not hard.

see if you can get the silencer, too.

It's worth 2-5 hp in hot weather.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you're going by me saying i didn't have one, then i don't know if i do or not. i thought the heat shield WAS the silencer :green

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
if you're going by me saying i didn't have one, then i don't know if i do or not. i thought the heat shield WAS the silencer :green
No the silencer is a tube that draws in cold air from the fender. The shield keeps the hot air and engine dirt off the filter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kscoyote said:

what made you say that? it seems so random after what you explained before

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
what made you say that? it seems so random after what you explained before
Because if it's THAT noticeable, it usually means you're making a lot less hp than usuall. Which usually points to either the air filter or a dirty MAF.

I didn't know how much the person weighed, so if he or she weighed a LOT then it was likely just the weight.

If it was a 92 lb 5'4" girl, that wouldn't affect much at all, and it's ptobably some kind of airflow malfunction.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kscoyote said:
Because if it's THAT noticeable, it usually means you're making a lot less hp than usuall. Which usually points to either the air filter or a dirty MAF.

I didn't know how much the person weighed, so if he or she weighed a LOT then it was likely just the weight.

If it was a 92 lb 5'4" girl, that wouldn't affect much at all, and it's ptobably some kind of airflow malfunction.
just replaced the filter and put on the shield and silencer. the filter and the rest of the intake were just laying there, not strapped down by anything :what: .. i haven't noticed much difference yet, but i haven't had a 2nd person in my car yet. the lightest i've had in my car is probably 120lbs, and it's still noticeable then. since there was no shield or anything do you think my MAF could be dirty?

also, my friend didn't have the part that connected the shield to the fender. will this be a problem?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.