Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 05 auto v6 mustang and wants to race. I have a 98 v6 with full exhaust,intake, and short shifter, who would win?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
My friend just got a 05 auto v6 mustang and wants to race. I have a 98 v6 with full exhaust,intake, and short shifter, who would win?
He's gonna kill you.

you'd have a chance with a 99+ but he's got 40+ hp on you in a best case scenario, you weigh 200 lbs less, but there's no way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap, thats not the answer i was lookin for! LOL

kscoyote said:
He's gonna kill you.

you'd have a chance with a 99+ but he's got 40+ hp on you in a best case scenario, you weigh 200 lbs less, but there's no way.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
wait a minute your saying that the 05 v6 has 40 horses on him stock or 40 horses on him with the mods. i know those pre 99 v6's are weak but he should of picked up 30 horses with the mods. dont get me wrong i know the 05 will win but i was just confused about the horse power.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
wait a minute your saying that the 05 v6 has 40 horses on him stock or 40 horses on him with the mods. i know those pre 99 v6's are weak but he should of picked up 30 horses with the mods. dont get me wrong i know the 05 will win but i was just confused about the horse power.
Intake & exhaust won't give you 30 hp. No way in heck.

There isn't enough flow. I gave him 12 or so, assuming the exhaust wasn't too big.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so..., if you had a and '01 and an '05 v6..., the '01 w/ headers and 2.25" exhaust, '05 stock..., who should win? provided that the '05 driver doesn't know about powerbraking and other lil tricks? probably that '01?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
so..., if you had a and '01 and an '05 v6..., the '01 w/ headers and 2.25" exhaust, '05 stock..., who should win? provided that the '05 driver doesn't know about powerbraking and other lil tricks? probably that '01?
Yes, in fact, a stock 01 would run neck and neck with a stock 05 provided they are both manuals.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
Yes, in fact, a stock 01 would run neck and neck with a stock 05 provided they are both manuals.
yeah that 13-16 extra hp has 200+ more lbs. to pull around. It wouldn't take much to beat an 05 6-cyl with a 99-04 3.8L.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
kscoyote said:
Intake & exhaust won't give you 30 hp. No way in heck.

There isn't enough flow. I gave him 12 or so, assuming the exhaust wasn't too big.
ok so a cai will give roughlly 10 hp, therefore the exhaust is only giving 2 hp?
and if so do you mean his exhaust or any v6 exhaust thats on a fairly stock motor? cause i know i got more than 2 hp out of my 2" true dual exhaust.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
ok so a cai will give roughlly 10 hp, therefore the exhaust is only giving 2 hp?
and if so do you mean his exhaust or any v6 exhaust thats on a fairly stock motor? cause i know i got more than 2 hp out of my 2" true dual exhaust.
You can't add it up. HP is ultimately determined by airflow, fuel and cam.

If you don't change the cam, the MOST you can pick up from a CAI and dual exhaust is 17-20 in the BEST of conditions. And that's for a 99+ car, for a pre-98, it'll be 20-25% less because the engine simply cannot flow that much air.

CAI may get you anywhere from 5-12 hp, depending on heatsoak, quality of filter, and flow.

2" is perfect for exhaust tubing, you lose a lot of hp & tq when you install 2.5" exhaust pipes or larger.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
if thats the case then what would throwing a superchip into the mix do? i know that wont help air flow but it has alot to do with the fuel

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don't see the 98 beating the 05 either. The mods don't add up to much hp. KS is right as always, he has a lot of knowledge about the V6 cars.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
if thats the case then what would throwing a superchip into the mix do? i know that wont help air flow but it has alot to do with the fuel
it advances the timing, and allows better efficiency from higher octane fuel. Better efficiency = more power.

It's like upgrading the distributor, and fitting it with lighter springs.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
dollarbill said:
I don't see the 98 beating the 05 either. The mods don't add up to much hp. KS is right as always, he has a lot of knowledge about the V6 cars.
I'm wrong sometimes, if fact, when I had my 98 v6, and was figuring the whole thing out, I was wrong quite often. I learned a lot from Silverstang & Glen.

But I'm not wrong often, anymore . . .

:winks

Thanks for the back up!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so i wont win, but im still gonna run him if e challenges me! Not to change the subject or anything, but i wanna redo my exhaust so your saying i should use 2'' pipe? Do you recomand an x or h pipe?

kscoyote said:
You can't add it up. HP is ultimately determined by airflow, fuel and cam.

If you don't change the cam, the MOST you can pick up from a CAI and dual exhaust is 17-20 in the BEST of conditions. And that's for a 99+ car, for a pre-98, it'll be 20-25% less because the engine simply cannot flow that much air.

CAI may get you anywhere from 5-12 hp, depending on heatsoak, quality of filter, and flow.

2" is perfect for exhaust tubing, you lose a lot of hp & tq when you install 2.5" exhaust pipes or larger.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, so i wont win, but im still gonna run him if e challenges me! Not to change the subject or anything, but i wanna redo my exhaust so your saying i should use 2'' pipe? Do you recomand an x or h pipe?
h-pipes generally give you a bit more torque, x-pipes more hp -Generally.

If you're planning to open the engine up wnt do a port & polish, go with 2.25" if you're planning to remain mainly stock, go with 2"

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so what would you recomand, hp or torque? I dont plan on gears cuz of the cost, so i was thinking h pipe to help get more torque.

kscoyote said:
h-pipes generally give you a bit more torque, x-pipes more hp -Generally.

If you're planning to open the engine up wnt do a port & polish, go with 2.25" if you're planning to remain mainly stock, go with 2"

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, so what would you recomand, hp or torque? I dont plan on gears cuz of the cost, so i was thinking h pipe to help get more torque.
h-pipe's cheaper (usually around $75) as opposed to $400 for a good x-pipe (bad ones are cheaper, but offer no better performance than an h-pipe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, i like the word cheaper! LOL what brand do u recomand and where can i get it

kscoyote said:
h-pipe's cheaper (usually around $75) as opposed to $400 for a good x-pipe (bad ones are cheaper, but offer no better performance than an h-pipe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.