Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pop quiz guys.Im driving my 1970 mustang up a hill. I get into it a little bit then all of a sudden Im shaking like a dog shitting bones.I limp it home leaking transmission fluid.When I took a look at it the bell housing was cracked and my starter was launched I also noticed that the front universal joint was broke.My question is this.Can a broken front universal joint blow up a transmission?Or perhaps the transmission blew the universal.:headscratch:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ouch.. The U joint is more likely to fail, but I don't see a failure mode that would cause a broken bellhousing without something else involved... Pics would be a good thing...

If the rear joint fails, the driveshaft usually thrashes around til it breaks the mounting U-bolts, then the whole shaft drops off the car... Makes it easy to recover, 'cuz the car isn't going much farther. ;)

Forward joints will do the same, but when it drops off the tranny, it will sometimes dig into the ground causing untold grief for the diff and rear axle/springs...

If you can tell if the U joint was worn out (worn needle bearings, no grease and lotsa rust/metal in the bearing caps) and look at which direction the failure of the U joint was (transmission driving it, or rear end driving a failed tranny), you can infer whether the joint failed or the tranny broke the u joint.

Pending pics and more information, I vote for a massive transmission stoppage which then twisted the forward U joint to failure...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Sounds like the transmission started to lock up, but the force of the rear axle turning the driveshaft forced the u-joint to snap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts