Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's V-6 can stomp a GT? What mod's do you have on your V-6? And if you were planing on make your V-6 fast why didnt you go with the GT?

Me I highly doubt i can beat a GT unless its being driven by a complete idot... I have a k&n intake and dual flowmasters. Not much but I hope ot make mine into something. My reason for not getting a GT is im 18 and have a ticket for running a red light and one for going 70 in a 45... Needless 2 say my insurance sucks I pay $500 a month...(**** nationwide)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Streetking322 said:
Who's V-6 can stomp a GT? What mod's do you have on your V-6? And if you were planing on make your V-6 fast why didnt you go with the GT?

Me I highly doubt i can beat a GT unless its being driven by a complete idot... I have a k&n intake and dual flowmasters. Not much but I hope ot make mine into something. My reason for not getting a GT is im 18 and have a ticket for running a red light and one for going 70 in a 45... Needless 2 say my insurance sucks I pay $500 a month...(**** nationwide)
depends on the GT.

If you want to build the six, it's doable:
www.v6power.com
Top 10 V6P Timeslips
1 matthewneuharth 10.314
2 Tom Y 10.659
3 Justin00V6 10.996
4 Pete 11.385
5 GT-EATER 11.584
6 supersix stang 11.853
7 Ryan McKay 11.950
8 Tom Y 12.036
9 PB Milan 12.348
10 SprayedSuper6 12.629

I got mine because I couldn't see paying $10000 more over 5 years (gas, initial price, interest, and insurance), for 1.5 seconds.

I've already built several V8s (351M, 302, & a 390), but hadn't worked on a six. The 6 has a lot of potential, is still a pushrod, is lightweight, and the head configuration isn't much different from a 351C. In fact, out of the box, it's faster than a TON of 60s cars, and about the same as the GTs in the 80s.

It's something I could work with, and make a sleeper out of, save a ton of money, and could personalize faster. + It's below the insurance radar (so I don't have to fund that cartel anymore than I have to) and I don't have to fund the oil cartels either (I'm getting 36mpg highway, and I do a LOT of highway driving. I've had the car 2.5 years, and I've got 104,000 miles on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
If you're looking for the top 6ers here, look up Pinto & RodStang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I run high 12's

some pics of my set up
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/495000-495999/495740_105_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/495000-495999/495740_126_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/495000-495999/495740_88_full.jpg

I bought the V6 as a daily driver and it turned into a project car. I was a tech at a ford dealer when I started building on it so we wanted to see what we could make the car do. I started beating GT's and then started to aim for Cobras. Since the 03's came out though it is a little tougher to run with those guys:sosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
pinto cheats, he is running sequential leave blowers with a oreck vaccum under the hood. I could run high 12's to if I pulled my car back alot (like the hot wheels cars to make them go forward) then let it go!:smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
fishingjts said:
Well... not quite in the 12s yet.. but it's in my sights!!! LOL! At 13.4 i'm faster than stock GTs... Reason for a V6... I refused to pay over MSRP for a car! LOL!

More details at: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/Screaming/Mustang.htm
Looks like you need to post more in the V6 section!

Why'd you get the FR LS? The Detroit Locker is WAY better!

I burned out my LS in a couple of months . . . bummer.
********************************************************************
Ahhh! You've been Zexed Up!!

With those control arms, you might wan tto get those torque boxes seam welded. Not a big deal on 6s, but if you start pumping the TQ, the harder bushings will damage 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
kscoyote said:
Looks like you need to post more in the V6 section!

Why'd you get the FR LS? The Detroit Locker is WAY better!

I burned out my LS in a couple of months . . . bummer.
********************************************************************
Ahhh! You've been Zexed Up!!

With those control arms, you might wan tto get those torque boxes seam welded. Not a big deal on 6s, but if you start pumping the TQ, the harder bushings will damage 'em.
Thank for the input!

Well the car is a daily driver so I really didn't want a full time locker... So I did want a limited slip... at the time the Detroit TrueTrac 7.5 was just coming out and no one was recommending it yet... so I went with the Ford Track-Lock.. Of course this was also before I put in the Zex... I'll probably put an axle girdle on in the spring and then possibly switch to the TrueTrac...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
lcurle said:
pinto cheats, he is running sequential leave blowers with a oreck vaccum under the hood. I could run high 12's to if I pulled my car back alot (like the hot wheels cars to make them go forward) then let it go!:smoke:
After I race I can go home and clean the leaves out of the yard:kooky:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
yeah I heard about the optional bag attachment for yard work. Wasen't a big fan of the mulching system though, and do you know how hard it is to drive the car up the stairs to vaccum the upstairs....man, those burn marks are going to take some sanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
kscoyote said:
I got mine because I couldn't see paying $10000 more over 5 years (gas, initial price, interest, and insurance), for 1.5 seconds.

This is one of the smartest statements I've heard in a LONG while! Right on! :worship
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I also did not get a GT b/c everyone said insurance is higher... well that isn't true. When I was looking for insurance the only question they asked was is it a coupe or a convertible. Maybe it depends on the insurance place and the state though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
lilmiss_stang94 said:
I also did not get a GT b/c everyone said insurance is higher... well that isn't true. When I was looking for insurance the only question they asked was is it a coupe or a convertible. Maybe it depends on the insurance place and the state though.
Women get better rates . . . and it's ABSOLUTELY true that you pay more for a GT for two reasons -1) it's worth more, 2) they hav ehigher accident rates than the 6 cylinder cars do.

The agent may have quoted you for a GT, or assumed you had a 6 because of your age. Either way, the folks who actually determine your rate (the underwriters who go over the paperwork submitted by the agent) go by the VIN. The agent only gives you a quote, which may or may not be accepted by the underwriters.

You generally don't know what your rate will actually be until a month after signing the contract.

I worked for Farmers for a couple of months after I returned from California, hear me now, and believe me later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
in 2001 when I was looking for my stang this was what I was quoted...granted I was 18 at the time buying a new car.

2000 GT Convertible: Insurance $528/mo
Car Payment: $512/mo (60mo @0.0%)

2001 V6 Coupe : Insurance $212/mo
Car Payment: $368/mo (60mo @8.9%)

The GT was through Ford Dealership for the note, and my V6 was through my bank for the note.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
lcurle said:
in 2001 when I was looking for my stang this was what I was quoted...granted I was 18 at the time buying a new car.

2000 GT Convertible: Insurance $528/mo
Car Payment: $512/mo (60mo @0.0%)

2001 V6 Coupe : Insurance $212/mo
Car Payment: $368/mo (60mo @8.9%)

The GT was through Ford Dealership for the note, and my V6 was through my bank for the note.
the difference in mine was from 60 to 89 dollars a month, but that still adds up to $2,000 + interest. add in the $5000 differential in price + interest, and the money starts adding up.

FOr Lcurle, it adds up to $19,000 in insurance, alone. Plus the $5,000 differential upfront.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
lilmiss_stang94 said:
I also did not get a GT b/c everyone said insurance is higher... well that isn't true. When I was looking for insurance the only question they asked was is it a coupe or a convertible. Maybe it depends on the insurance place and the state though.
I live in Florida, I'm 17, and I'm on my parents insurance. When I was 16 I got my car, a V6, and when my mom called to put me on the insurance she asked if it'd be a price difference in having a V8. They said it wouldn't, I don't know why but that's what they said. I pay $240 a month, which sucks since I'm 17 and work part time, that's $60 out of my check a week and that leaves me with about $70 left for the week :eyebulge: But ya I'm just stating what they said, I don't know how it works in other states and what not, but I can't wait to get done with my last year in highschool, and head into college... that way I can make more then $7.00 an hour! Haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
01greenV6 said:
I live in Florida, I'm 17, and I'm on my parents insurance. When I was 16 I got my car, a V6, and when my mom called to put me on the insurance she asked if it'd be a price difference in having a V8. They said it wouldn't, I don't know why but that's what they said. I pay $240 a month, which sucks since I'm 17 and work part time, that's $60 out of my check a week and that leaves me with about $70 left for the week :eyebulge: But ya I'm just stating what they said, I don't know how it works in other states and what not, but I can't wait to get done with my last year in highschool, and head into college... that way I can make more then $7.00 an hour! Haha
THe difference is probably that you're already paying the top rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I wanna get in the 12's too and beat some GT's. What should I put in next? So far I have Flowmasters and a K&N intake... Yea I know its not much but I was stupid enough 2 waste $2000 on rims, springs, and a tint over christmas looks nice but I want it 2 go... And how the hell r there ppl paying $240 a month for insureance I would kill for that I'm 18 w/ 2 tickets I have and 04 which isnt paid off yet and I have to have full coverage and I pay a little over $500 a month for insurance!!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Streetking322 said:
Well I wanna get in the 12's too and beat some GT's. What should I put in next? So far I have Flowmasters and a K&N intake... Yea I know its not much but I was stupid enough 2 waste $2000 on rims, springs, and a tint over christmas looks nice but I want it 2 go... And how the hell r there ppl paying $240 a month for insureance I would kill for that I'm 18 w/ 2 tickets I have and 04 which isnt paid off yet and I have to have full coverage and I pay a little over $500 a month for insurance!!!
12's is going to take some work... i would think... I'm guessing you'll a power adder, some drive line work and probably some sticky tires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Streetking322 said:
Well I wanna get in the 12's too and beat some GT's. What should I put in next? So far I have Flowmasters and a K&N intake... Yea I know its not much but I was stupid enough 2 waste $2000 on rims, springs, and a tint over christmas looks nice but I want it 2 go... And how the hell r there ppl paying $240 a month for insureance I would kill for that I'm 18 w/ 2 tickets I have and 04 which isnt paid off yet and I have to have full coverage and I pay a little over $500 a month for insurance!!!
Ist question is what's your budget?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top