·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start it off easy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i was down to 14 when i changed fuels. and it still had 2 gallons in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
FYI, not a good thing to do to your car.

Aside from picking up any crap at the bottom of your fuel tank, the fuel also helps cool the fuel pump. Either way you'll probably end up killing your fuel pump prematurely.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
FYI, not a good thing to do to your car.

Aside from picking up any crap at the bottom of your fuel tank, the fuel also helps cool the fuel pump. Either way you'll probably end up killing your fuel pump prematurely.
+ 1 to above poster

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well i had to do it to switch to e85. and i dont think that it will damage anything. remember that this cars are new and the fuel tanks are virgin.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well i had to do it to switch to e85. and i dont think that it will damage anything. remember that this cars are new and the fuel tanks are virgin.
Understood!

Generally speaking it's a bad habit to run the tank that low on a regular basis. I get antsy when I'm down to 1/4 tank!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understood!

Generally speaking it's a bad habit to run the tank that low on a regular basis. I get antsy when I'm down to 1/4 tank!

Let me add, that I don't do this on a regular basis, it just happens sometime using the car with daily driving.
Didn't realize that this would start a flame.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Let me add, that I don't do this on a regular basis, it just happens sometime using the car with daily driving.
Didn't realize that this would start a flame.
Absolutly!!! Even if you did you'd be fined. All that other crap is urban legend and means less than nothing!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Damn, Im at 8 miles to E right now though Im going to get a full tank of 93 today. I NEVER let it get that low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for reference, it took 13.98 gallons.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
when i had 14 miles left it took 14.23 gallons lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lol I ran my Impala down to the bare minimum for 100,000 miles. Either Ford makes crappy fuel pumps that you're worried about or there is nothing to that myth. The engine was still super smooth and the fuel pump never had issues.

The Mustang is no different, IMO. I've run down my fuel gauge to less than 5 miles to E probably a dozen times now. It still always takes about 15 or gallons, sometimes a little less.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Lol I ran my Impala down to the bare minimum for 100,000 miles. Either Ford makes crappy fuel pumps that you're worried about or there is nothing to that myth. The engine was still super smooth and the fuel pump never had issues.

The Mustang is no different, IMO. I've run down my fuel gauge to less than 5 miles to E probably a dozen times now. It still always takes about 15 or gallons, sometimes a little less.
Agreed! Same with my last car!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i remember my 04 mach 1 used to hit the light every time before i filled it up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I stopped at $50 today. Forgot to look at gallons. $3.80 here for BP 93. Just about full.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just FYI - I remember seeing a TSB where some new Mustangs would suddenly die when low (but not empty) on fuel. If I remember correctly, there is a pump that transfers fuel from one side of the tank, over the axle hump to the other side, where the pick up is. I believe it was this pump that was prone to fail. I'm sure most of the cars that had the problem have already been found and fixed.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
If I remember the manual correctly, me thinks the computers are supposed to measure only 14 gallons of approximate fuel range then you have 2 gallons left to get to a watering hole before the fat lady has sung and your horse is done-zo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.