Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this website so don't be too hard on me.

I was just wondering if anyone knows why Ford went to the 50 oz Imbalance from the 28 oz imbalance (excuse my ingorance on the intricacies of engine balancing)?

Also there seems to be more performance stuff for the 28 oz imbalance which makes it frustrating to find a suitable stroker kit.

I have a McLeod 164 tooth flywheel (I converted over the AOD to a manual, so have the 164 tooth instead of the 157 tooth), So I am considering changing the weight on it so I can use the 28 oz performance stuff).

Also can you just use the stroker kits and use a 50 oz imbalance harmonic balancer?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Tim:shiny:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site.

More than likely it's cheaper to make a 50 oz balance than it is to make the 28 oz or neutral balance. Less metal goes into the rotating assembly.

If you go with a stroker, you must go with what balance is specified by the manufacturer. You could have a kit when it's made to go with any balance you choose, but at a higher cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

So can I just change my balance on my existing block to 28 oz or 0 oz just by changing my weights on the harmonic balancer and the flywheel then get a final balance on the assembly at the machine shop?

Tim

·
Registered
504 Posts
No, it's not that easy. The balance is defined by the crank. You need a balancer and flywheel that match the crank. If you buy a stroker kit that has a 28 oz balance, then you can just put a 28 oz balancer and flywheel on. However, you can't do that to a stock 50 oz crank.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for that.

So can I just change my balance on my existing block to 28 oz or 0 oz just by changing my weights on the harmonic balancer and the flywheel then get a final balance on the assembly at the machine shop?

Tim
Yes, you can change your imbalance.
Take your entire rotating assembly, 1 set of rings, bearings, locks, whatever they ask for and you can have it balanced out.
Beware, depending on your bobweight, it could be very expensive.

It is not uncommon for experienced engine builders to have their OE assemblies "zero" balanced. I imagine this is due to the cost of the machining and the mallory... might as well go to zero if it's going to cost the same right?
In my experience, it's right around a grand to zero balance. To do what you're suggesting will be less... but I have no clue to an approximate.

The route your headed... there is more value in purchasing a stroker kit which can be balanced at 28oz. It is more cost effective and better than a 50oz imbalance.
I'm also not sure a 164tooth flywheel will work due to the difference in bell housings and starter location. It's all too possible I'm wrong however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!!!:bigthumbsup

Looks like I would be OK if I get the stroker crank that was meant for the 28 oz imbalance and get a 28 oz imbalance harmonic balancer to suit.

I have a spare 164 tooth 28 oz imbalance flywheel off a Cleveland if the McLeod flywheel balance can't be changed to a 28 oz imbalance.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.