Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
86' mustang LX coupe
205 Posts
Thanks for that.

So can I just change my balance on my existing block to 28 oz or 0 oz just by changing my weights on the harmonic balancer and the flywheel then get a final balance on the assembly at the machine shop?

Tim
Yes, you can change your imbalance.
Take your entire rotating assembly, 1 set of rings, bearings, locks, whatever they ask for and you can have it balanced out.
Beware, depending on your bobweight, it could be very expensive.

It is not uncommon for experienced engine builders to have their OE assemblies "zero" balanced. I imagine this is due to the cost of the machining and the mallory... might as well go to zero if it's going to cost the same right?
In my experience, it's right around a grand to zero balance. To do what you're suggesting will be less... but I have no clue to an approximate.

The route your headed... there is more value in purchasing a stroker kit which can be balanced at 28oz. It is more cost effective and better than a 50oz imbalance.
I'm also not sure a 164tooth flywheel will work due to the difference in bell housings and starter location. It's all too possible I'm wrong however.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.