Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to youtube videos and came across this Cobra that sounds sick, its not just this, alot of Mach1 and Cobras i see in my town sounds almost the same if not as good. But The 05+ Mustangs sound different even with same mufflers as this. On the net i checked and both have the modular 4.6L V8 so why Cobras sound better in my ear :shigrin, sorry not saying S197 doesnt but you know what i mean!!! :headscratch:

The Cobra is the one i found and the S197 GT is just a random that has the closest muffler mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMQRwaaZtw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJMkL5TDX0

·
Registered
151 Posts
One possible reason is the muffler placement. The 04's and below had it in front of the rear axles with quite a bit of tailpipe to smooth out the sound. The 05's and up are located behind the rear axle which changed the sound a bit. But many things come into play when it comes to exhaust sound, but the muffler placement is a big part of it. My 5.0 sounded much nicer then my 06, but as a complete package, the 06 is light years ahead.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
One possible reason is the muffler placement. The 04's and below had it in front of the rear axles with quite a bit of tailpipe to smooth out the sound. The 05's and up are located behind the rear axle which changed the sound a bit. But many things come into play when it comes to exhaust sound, but the muffler placement is a big part of it. My 5.0 sounded much nicer then my 06, but as a complete package, the 06 is light years ahead.
+1

Also, I seem to remember someone saying something about the length of the exhaust pipes(that could have something to do with the fact that they're shorter in the 04s due to the muffler being before the axleback).

I always noticed this too. The previous gens sound so much better when they get after market exhaust.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That actually makes sense, i forgot how the S197 bottom looks, anybody remember if theres room to push the mufflers in front of rear axle, if i had a GT i would try to do a custom muffler position like the 04 but my V6 wont do it :shigrin

·
Registered
123 Posts
I actually have a few friends that have 05+ cars with the exhaust set up similar to earlier years... they say its a lot louder on the inside. But I think they sound soo much better than with the axle backs... not really the same as older years(obviously due to different engines) but its close.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't forget that the 03-04 Cobras have a 4V DOHC motor and the 05+ have a 3V which also plays a factor in how the cars sound.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don't forget that the 03-04 Cobras have a 4V DOHC motor and the 05+ have a 3V which also plays a factor in how the cars sound.:bigthumbsup
I believe that is the most of the sound difference.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Is the new coyote engine a 3v or 4?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Coyote is supposed to be 4V

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what it sounds like...
Won't sound like a Termi

The biggest difference is, as stated, the mufflers are under the car and the tail pipes are long but even with a pypes mid muffles set up , the S197 still doesnt sound like a 2v/4v 4.6 and I doubt the 5.0 4v will either.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My car sounds like that. But I don't have mufflers.

Actually the last time I heard my car it sounded like marbles shaking in a tin can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Uummmm.....comparing the exhaust note of a V6 to a V8, especially a Cobra, is like apples and oranges. Drop a 4.6 in your ride and you'll be sounding great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.