Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean.. when they first came out all the 5.0 guys came out bashing them. Everyone was afraid of change at first. Ahh low end torque is lost and all that jazz but a simple rear end gear brings ya right up to speed. So I ask what makes the 4.6 so bad ass. is it the ohc setup, any suggestions ???

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I believe the 99-04 are faster than any 5.0 stock. And nothing sounds better than a 4.6 with a nice catback setup.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I believe the 99-04 are faster than any 5.0 stock. And nothing sounds better than a 4.6 with a nice catback setup.

lol yea...thats why it took almost 10 years for a stock 4.6 to catch a stock 5OHH!! lol..but its all good...i dont wanna start a rivel match between the engines lol

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I didnt mean to come off as putting the 5.0 engine down, i meant to say that when i posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
But even the tuners know that overhead cams are better, and DOHC is the way to go. Its just better.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Ohv, Sohc, Dohc

Motors are essentially air pumps. Pump more air, make more power. Efficiency comes into play when you look at how much air a given displacement motor can pump. The DOHC motors will, all things being equal, always flow more than the SOHC motors, which will flow more than a OHV motor. NOTE the "All thiings being equal" part, please.

As for the history of the 4.6, much comparison is done dating the use of the motor from when it first appeared in cars other than Mustangs.

The valid comparison would be between the comparable Mustangs, where extraneous comparisons involving Lincolns and trucks don't get involved, along with the wild variety of exhaust setup differences.

Essentially, Ford did a lateral shift from a 215-225hp ohv 5 liter to a 215-225hp sohc 4.6 liter motor when the 4.6 came to the Mustang. What should be noteworthy is the fact that (IN STOCK FORM) the Mustang 4.6 has ALWAYS produced more power per cubic inch than the modern 5.0. Why Ford essentially detuned the SOHC 4.6 to keep power production on the low side is a marketing mystery to me.

The most fair comparison would be between the peak, end of production Mustang 5.0 (benefiting from over 40 years of research and development) that produced 225hp, and the 1999 Mustang 4.6 making 260hp. Both motors are highly sophisticated, dependable power producers with excellent power and torque curves.

Beyond those comparisons, you immediately get into the myriad paths to modification, and leave the realm of stock reality.

Personally, I've often wondered what a 1995 5.0 would be like with the more modern fuel, intake and ignition system from the 99+ Mustang. COP, more sophisticated fuel/air management, and a newer computer program make a difference, and so does the higher quality exhaust system on the new cars.

I think that had Ford continued researching and developing the 5.0 OHV motor, the differences between the two motor families would be a lot smaller nowadays, and that the old 302 would be pretty close in hp production to the 4.6 (but not when measured based upon output per cubic inch of displacement).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't the 4.6's have more HP stock than the 5.0's stock?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
4.6's are faster engines and have more potential 5.0s need alot to get some good hp and last longer. theyre both good in there own ways

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
The only main thing I like about the 5.0's are that they are cheap to mod:D

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
$$$$$

The only main thing I like about the 5.0's are that they are cheap to mod:D
Money is ALWAYS a valid advantage!

Another plus is the availability of a MOUNTAIN of aftermarket parts like heads that are lacking with the 4.6 SOHC.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I'm poor with a 4.6 lol. Dang education taking all my money. I should just quit school for a year and save up for a SC and then go back:D jk.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Better?

Where is MarkWondi when you need him? Even if he is ALMOST as big a smartass as I am.:wavey

·
Registered
189 Posts
lol yea...thats why it took almost 10 years for a stock 4.6 to catch a stock 5OHH!! lol..but its all good...i dont wanna start a rivel match between the engines lol

10 years of catch up, but from 79-95 the stock 5.0 can only handle 450 rwhp with out splitting...the 4.6.....well getting 730 rwhp out of mine :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The 4.6 is probably the best motor Ford has ever built. Look at the power:cube ratio; it's huge by factory standards. the 5.0 make 45hp per cubic liter, the 4.6 makes 67! By comparison, the legendary 427 Cammer made 88hp/L.

OHC technology has always made good power. And what's the redline on a stock 5.0 compared to a stock 4.6? That additional redline makes a huge differance.

Bad-ass? The stock 4.6 is a good engine, but I don't think it qualifies for "Bad-ass" status. IMO, you need to be making at least 500hp NA to attain that status. And it has to look killer, too.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have mixed opinions i think the 5.0 takes better to mods then the 4.6 sohc but not as well as the dohc but like the guy said at the top of the thread 5.0s are cheaper to mod and in the car game i think when its all said and done it all comes down to who can do what for cheeper

·
Registered
6 Posts
4.6 or 5.0

As long as it is in a Mustang I am for it. I have had most of the FORD motors at one time or another and I like them all. The DOHC is a very good engine I have one in my 94 GT. A friend of mine runs in AIX and went from a Cobra motor back to a 5.0 stroked to 331. He says he had to many breaks with the DOHC. As far as sound I have to go with the pushrod. This is only my opinon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have mixed opinions i think the 5.0 takes better to mods then the 4.6 sohc but not as well as the dohc but like the guy said at the top of the thread 5.0s are cheaper to mod and in the car game i think when its all said and done it all comes down to who can do what for cheeper
Umm, i do believe this is incorrect info. 4.6L engines, be 2v or 4v, take ALL BOLT ONS better than the 5.0s. They just make more power from CAI, Underdrive Pullies, etc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.