Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Other than pure greed and newness (unless I am missing something!) why are the CAI's for the new mustangs so gdang expensive? It would be relatively easy to fashion a sealed off area where the stock filter is and use a cone. I did one on a RX7 using rigid insulation. Duplicate the stock hose routing with silicone or smooth rubber.

What am I missing?

Tnx Fred

:worship

·
Registered
164 Posts
You nailed it in your first sentence.... I understand development, manufacturing cost, etc, but c'mon. The same thing for a different car is 1/2 price.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Also the new kits have to have a precision made MAF housing. Tolerances add to the overall cost.

Prices will go down.. it maybe 2 or 3 more years. I still remember in the early 90's when a lot of Fox Body Fuel Injection parts were expensive. Now there are so many intakes and fuel ijectors out there.... but I would guess a big factor is the MAF housing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
fgcox1 said:
Other than pure greed and newness (unless I am missing something!) why are the CAI's for the new mustangs so gdang expensive? It would be relatively easy to fashion a sealed off area where the stock filter is and use a cone. I did one on a RX7 using rigid insulation. Duplicate the stock hose routing with silicone or smooth rubber.

What am I missing?

Tnx Fred

Could you put more in the subject line to describe your post next time(s) please? Thanks!

I have the C&L and at least they went to the effort of casting an aluminum tube and manufacturing a new mass air housing and a few other things that made me feel better about the cost of theirs...

·
Registered
145 Posts
i know what you mean my buddy has a wrx and he gets eveythign for about half of what the new stangs pay for mods. But i guess thats what we get for buying the new products from the industry?

·
Registered
465 Posts
fgcox1 said:

What am I missing?

Tnx Fred

I was able to buy a MAC CAI for around $150 for my car and it's doing a good job. I don't think that's high compared to some of the others selling for a lot more that do the same thing as mine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
rgensemer said:
I was able to buy a MAC CAI for around $150 for my car and it's doing a good job. I don't think that's high compared to some of the others selling for a lot more that do the same thing as mine.
Where'd you get it from at that price?

·
Registered
78 Posts
fgcox1 said:

What am I missing?

Tnx Fred

Don't know what you make per day at your job, but I'm willing to bet from start to finish the custom-made CAI job will take more then a single day, and not look as good as the professional ones. You'll have to buy a filter to add on, so add that to the price of your development, then, you'll have to produce your own tune files for the major tuners. On top of all that you need the time to do it, regardless of what it's worth.

Makes the pro-CAI sound like a bargain at $200-300.

·
Registered
465 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts