Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok why are the driveshafts so expensive for the S197? I bought one for my 1994 GT in 1999 for $200. I want an aluminum driveshaft but I cant justify $700+ for the driveshaft. I know companys have to make up for research and development costs and the price of the metal and energy to make the shafts. But why are they so much? I could se the price being that much if the aftermarket shaft was a 2 piece. I know with the Fox and SN95 cars there were more cars meaning more driveshafts were sold and then the price could be lowered. If the shafts were 300-500 Id buy one in a heartbeat but $700 is a big chunk of change.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Why?? Short answer--because they can be. All S197 parts are more expensive. For example, just look at how cheap a blower is for an old Foxbody.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I sometimes wish i bought a 89 5.0.. They have some cheap parts lol.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I sometimes wish i bought a 89 5.0.. They have some cheap parts lol.
a friend of mine had a 03 cobra non-terminator, and traded it for a 5.0 fox.... His idea was that all the parts were cheaper and hence more for your money. However after spending a decent amount of time and money on the fox, he sold it because he was unhappy with how slow it was. He didnt have a blower on it, but sprayed it.

The grass is always greener on the other side, remember that...

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Well for one think is they are a new car, well fairly new. the other is the D/S is larger and mounting is different.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Why?? Short answer--because they can be. All S197 parts are more expensive. For example, just look at how cheap a blower is for an old Foxbody.
:D Couldn't have put it any better. Hopefully with the coming of the "new" 2010 we'll see a drop in S197 parts (you can't blame a guy for hoping...)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Also you have to consider the economt now vs. the economy back than.
I'm making over double what I did 10 years ago, on the other hand everything is costing me double what it did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ok why are the driveshafts so expensive for the S197? I bought one for my 1994 GT in 1999 for $200. I want an aluminum driveshaft but I cant justify $700+ for the driveshaft. I know companys have to make up for research and development costs and the price of the metal and energy to make the shafts. But why are they so much? I could se the price being that much if the aftermarket shaft was a 2 piece. I know with the Fox and SN95 cars there were more cars meaning more driveshafts were sold and then the price could be lowered. If the shafts were 300-500 Id buy one in a heartbeat but $700 is a big chunk of change.
Are you looking to buy one or you want to know why they're expensive?? As stated they're kind new cars but i would say after 20 years they will be like foxes.
If your looking to buy one i know a guy wants to sell one for a V6 S197 aluminum powerhouse extremely cheap, PM me if you want the price and his info

·
Registered
812 Posts
easy answer supply and demand ....... look at all parts for the s197 now look at the same part for a just say 98 model there is a big diffrence in just those years ...... and like said before hopefully when the new style comes out these will drop HOPEFULLY LOL

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Shaftmaster offers them for $500 for V6 and 525 for V8. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisifed customer.
I agree there to costly, I would buy one in a heartbeat, but will not pay the price. Even with a group buy Shaftmasters is to much !! It would seem to me that with the state of affairs the way it is now they would drop the price. The gains are not that much Vs the cost.
My current drive shaft is fine and thats what "bugs" me about the price, why in the world would I replace something thats currently fine. You would think the replacement shaft would be better than the orig. when in fact there is "very" little gain. That said you as a manufacture should price your products based upon the amount someone would be willing to pay plus costs. And by the way, I would bet my Mustang the manufacturing costs are between 95.00 145.00 each. ( I really thinks even thats a little high, but will cut them some slack)
Lets "hope" shaftmasters is reading our comments.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Shaftmaster offers them for $500 for V6 and 525 for V8. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisifed customer.

"Shaftmaster" :D

That name inspires as much confidence as a tire store having a blowout sale.

Those are two cases where I don't want what they're promising me :happyhapp

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
:D Couldn't have put it any better. Hopefully with the coming of the "new" 2010 we'll see a drop in S197 parts (you can't blame a guy for hoping...)
I think it's going to take a significant body style change before things really drop..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree there to costly, I would buy one in a heartbeat, but will not pay the price. Even with a group buy Shaftmasters is to much !! It would seem to me that with the state of affairs the way it is now they would drop the price. The gains are not that much Vs the cost.
My current drive shaft is fine and thats what "bugs" me about the price, why in the world would I replace something thats currently fine. You would think the replacement shaft would be better than the orig. when in fact there is "very" little gain. That said you as a manufacture should price your products based upon the amount someone would be willing to pay plus costs. And by the way, I would bet my Mustang the manufacturing costs are between 95.00 145.00 each. ( I really thinks even thats a little high, but will cut them some slack)
Lets "hope" shaftmasters is reading our comments.
We know that your not serious about your betting your Mustang because if you were we would be driving it right now. $145.00 is not even close to our costs per unit. What we don't understand is why are we being made the villain in this when we are offering them at least $200.00 cheaper than the competition?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Villain???

Heck, I was wondering if you guys make one for a GT500????

500's cheap!

My Drive shaft shop DS was $900.00 and my custom one......well, it had a custom price!

I also know there is a lot of one time costs in R&D associated with a new product line. It has to be absorbed early in the line or you'll never recoup it. Products that are 10, 15, or 20 years old are often cheaper due to the fact that those costs were absorbed early in the line.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
It's called making money. Nothing wrong with that. The prices will only go down if people stop buying them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We know that your not serious about your betting your Mustang because if you were we would be driving it right now. $145.00 is not even close to our costs per unit. What we don't understand is why are we being made the villain in this when we are offering them at least $200.00 cheaper than the competition?
Let me first say, In no way was I making Shaftmasters out to be a "villian" as a matter of fact let me also say "Thanks" for bringing such an "Awsome" product to the market !! In my "old Corvette days I owned a manufacturing plant and store front for the Corvette market and know what it takes to bring products to market (72 products plus 45 patents to date) . That said I also know what it takes to reduce costs so the market will purchase your products over someone else's. We all (manufactures) want to make as much profit as possible with any product we design, engineer and produce, some figure this out others don't. What I mean by that is, its up to us (manufactures) to price our products that everyone can afford not just the few. How we do that is through investment in "raw" stock (buy low sell high) i.e. if I were to purchase tube alum. at say 1.45 a pound for say 1 ton Vs 2.45 a pound for 1/2 ton, it would be in my best interst to purchase a 1 ton amount to pass the savings along to my customers by basing my next production run at 1.45 per pound. The catch "22" in this is all of my pricing from this point foreward is now based upon 1.45 per pound. What if alum. goes up? Do I raise the product retail price or the wholesale price? My choice would be neither, I would price my products so I could "weather" out the price increase, but then only increase if the alum. market doesn't reduce its self. Bottom line, produce in qty's and price product so everyone comes to you. This may or may not apply to you, I have no idea nor do I know the drive shaft market. But I do know who I buy from and who I do not and 9 out of ten times I'm going with the guy the produces the same product with the same quality at a better (lower) price. PS: I sold my Corvette business in 2000 after 25 years and its still doing fine under the new owners.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
so basically the point of an al. D/S is it has less wieght so it can turnout better horses?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.