Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i have a 88 gt 5.0 ho that i recentlly had rebuilt and the original block was found to be cracked and i got one from the local salvage yard put together and have drove it about 30 mile and hae stripped 3 gears is their a diffence in the block as the car it cam from had a air bag badge on the dash as my 88 doesnt so is their a difffence in the blocks distributor any help will be gratelly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
39,979 Posts
may be too much camshaft endplay....

·
Registered
372 Posts
i hade the same problem on my 68 289. the valve seals were breaking up and getting jammed in oil pump i broke two gears, three oil drive and four oil pumps before i figured it out

R

·
0 Posts
yes i have a 88 gt 5.0 ho that i recentlly had rebuilt and the original block was found to be cracked and i got one from the local salvage yard put together and have drove it about 30 mile and hae stripped 3 gears is their a diffence in the block as the car it cam from had a air bag badge on the dash as my 88 doesnt so is their a difffence in the blocks distributor any help will be gratelly appreciated

on the 5.0's there are 2 different dist gears tobe used wth the different cams, HO "roller" vs non ho flat tappet....it's been awhile but I believe the GT "HO" roller cams, which are made of a higher/harder metal require a special dist gear to match and using the wrong dist gear wth the softer non HO camshaft just wont last...........

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Roller cams use a steel gear, and a flat tappet cam uses a cast iron gear. The cast iron will eat up the steel gears like toast.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok, talk to me about camshaft endplay. I ate through a distributor gear not long ago and put a new one in. I've gone through less than a tank of gas and when I checked the gear it's showing signs of an uneven wear again. It's got a ways to go until I eat through it, but there's no sense in letting that happen again. I've got a cast cam and a cast gear so I assume my cam is off a bit. What adjustments do I need to make?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You might need a shim behind your cam plate to take out the excessive end play.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'm going to tear it down this weekend and what it looks like. I don't feel like eating another gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.