Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 GT 4.6, alot of my friends say its so much slower than the older ones, and the newer ones, but to me being 17, this car is a huge step up from my 93 Altima with the 1.8 4 cyl, and I've been challenged by a Z28 and walked it, so the car is fast enough to me. I don't really care, Im just curious why the general public opinion on the 96 is that its not as fast as the other models?

·
Banned
918 Posts
What year was that Z/28? Anything from a 93 and newer, the guy couldn't drive, or the car had issues. They make 60+ more hp and 40 ft lbs more of torque than you.

The 96-98 GT's are dogs. They make 215-225 hp and put down 195-200 at the tires. Some 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder hondas make more hp than that. The 99+ GT's make 260+ and put down 225-235 rwhp and they are torquier than the 96-98's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 5.0's didn't make more than that stock. It's all in the upgrades. A few little things will give you more pep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for me the car is fast enough, but like any guy out there I want to make it louder and faster, so what would be some basic mods to make my 96 move like the newer ones do?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My friends 01 SS is the 325hp and i spanked it with my current mods minus the gears up to like 80, dont mean **** HP just whos better driver off the line...he think shes is KING KONG on that car, its in shop for tranny synchros and clutch, for second time..( he went to a guy who when i asked if he did gears told me he only worked on real cars) that goes to show you.. anyhow i need more prac launching my car with the 373s now. dont let the Fbodies mess with you, just mess back even if you loose still nice ot blow them off the line

·
Banned
918 Posts
carguy1985 said:
My friends 01 SS is the 325hp and i spanked it with my current mods minus the gears up to like 80, dont mean **** HP just whos better driver off the line
I hope you don't think they really have 325 hp. Hell most 01's make 310-320 at the tires stock! Also the 6 speeds suck up until around 75-80 and thats when they take the hell off. Stay in it next time and see where the race is at around 110.
...he think shes is KING KONG on that car, its in shop for tranny synchros and clutch, for second time..( he went to a guy who when i asked if he did gears told me he only worked on real cars) that goes to show you..
That goes to show opinions by techs:laughlitt, nothing more.

anyhow i need more prac launching my car with the 373s now. dont let the Fbodies mess with you, just mess back even if you loose still nice ot blow them off the line
:laughlitt, come on man!
That's like having ur boy come in XXXXXX That 13.9 is barely enough to even hang with a LS1 in the 1/4
Gears take you to around a 13.7 still slow in LS1 league.

·
Banned
918 Posts
BTW we are talking a Z/28 of an unknown year. A 96 GT has no prayer in hell stock beating a stock LT1 let alone a LS1

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
People bash the 4.6L a lot because everyone knows the 302 was the motor of the GT for decades. The 4.6L is barely over a decade old for the Mustang and only a couple years older than that in other vehicles. It's potential is just now being realized from the factory and tuners are wringing even more once they hit the street. Yeah the first runs of that motor were pretty weak. The 5.0 was a snivelling little wuss in the early 80's. As with any other new gadget or gizmo, it takes time and tinkering to get it right. Ford is getting there and the aftermarket is doing a pretty good job of keeping up. It's not unusual to see a 300+ bhp bolt on GT anymore and a lot of those guys are pushing real close or over 400 ft-lbs of torque also. Let the naysayers say what they want. A PI head, cam and intake swapped 96-98 can be one tough cookie around the block, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
676 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
People bash the 4.6L a lot because everyone knows the 302 was the motor of the GT for decades. The 4.6L is barely over a decade old for the Mustang and only a couple years older than that in other vehicles. It's potential is just now being realized from the factory and tuners are wringing even more once they hit the street. Yeah the first runs of that motor were pretty weak. The 5.0 was a snivelling little wuss in the early 80's. As with any other new gadget or gizmo, it takes time and tinkering to get it right. Ford is getting there and the aftermarket is doing a pretty good job of keeping up. It's not unusual to see a 300+ bhp bolt on GT anymore and a lot of those guys are pushing real close or over 400 ft-lbs of torque also. Let the naysayers say what they want. A PI head, cam and intake swapped 96-98 can be one tough cookie around the block, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Ditto!! The 4.6 does not have the history of the 5.0s. In time, that will change.

·
Banned
918 Posts
The first 5.0's were making less than 200 hp.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
hey black, we did race to about 130once in the back roads. We both hit it at around 35 and i took it to almost most of 4th gears and i was hanging in right next to him, when we both let go he bearly got his fender past my bumper.

G

·
blackfang said:
I hope you don't think they really have 325 hp. Hell most 01's make 310-320 at the tires stock! Also the 6 speeds suck up until around 75-80 and thats when they take the hell off. Stay in it next time and see where the race is at around 110.
That goes to show opinions by techs:laughlitt, nothing more.

:laughlitt, come on man!
That's like having ur boy come in XXXXXX That 13.9 is barely enough to even hang with a LS1 in the 1/4
Gears take you to around a 13.7 still slow in LS1 league.

Much as that is funny, dont do it again. Allfordmustangs is a family site and I dont think Parents want their kid to read that and ask questions.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Yeah, I forgot we let ours kids read now. I hope they don't see the illegal kill stories forum;)

Tough to say as i have dusted off a few 5 speed 99+ GT's in the LS1 and that was an A4.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
carguy1985 said:
My friends 01 SS is the 325hp and i spanked it with my current mods minus the gears up to like 80, dont mean **** HP just whos better driver off the line...he think shes is KING KONG on that car, its in shop for tranny synchros and clutch, for second time..( he went to a guy who when i asked if he did gears told me he only worked on real cars) that goes to show you.. anyhow i need more prac launching my car with the 373s now. dont let the Fbodies mess with you, just mess back even if you loose still nice ot blow them off the line

Every group's got their boors. It doesn't matter what you drive it's gonna' suck in somebody's twisted mind!

If they want to bring it, just take it right back to 'em!

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, with work and ingenuity, you can make a YUGO fast!!

As long as you're happy, who the heck cares?!
:smoke:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
blackfang said:
The first 5.0's were making less than 200 hp.
more like 139hp!

:happyhapp

When the 84s came out, it was like a party! 175 HP!!!!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
blackfang said:
I hope you don't think they really have 325 hp. Hell most 01's make 310-320 at the tires stock!
Er, that's more like 335-350 hp at the crank! Which is where it's generally measured!

:eyebulge:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just think my wifes 06 V6 has more HP than all the stock 5.0's did stock.Also yea alot of people always say crap like damn too bad it does'nt have a 5.0 in it.I tell them that the 03/04 4.6's have the highest hp ever in a stock GT untill the 05's came out.It always surprises them.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Lances03GT said:
Just think my wifes 06 V6 has more HP than all the stock 5.0's did stock.Also yea alot of people always say crap like damn too bad it does'nt have a 5.0 in it.I tell them that the 03/04 4.6's have the highest hp ever in a stock GT untill the 05's came out.It always surprises them.
Er, folks with 67-68 GTs and GTAs might have a difference of opinion! Other folks with Boss 302s might also have something to chip in,

but it has more power than Ford Mustangs from 1973-1987, which is longer than a lot of folks on this site have been alive!

:kooky:

G

·
People bash the 4.6L because it's a small V8. I don't know any other reason why. It makes a crap load of power. The first runs of the 4.6L SOHC were a dog. They didn't make the power that they were capable of. Now you see these stock motors coming with 300 hp straight from the factory. Just think about it. The first run of in 96 came with 215 hp and 285 lb ft of torque. Now they come with 300 hp and 320 lb ft of torque. That's 85 more hp in a 9 year run. I don't think that's too bad. And that is just in the GT. The 4.6L in the 96 cobra came with what 305 hp? in 03/04 it was an underated 390. Another 85 hp increase. Look at the new shelby GT500 coming out. Isn't that thing suppose to have 450+ HP? But I am really not sure what engine that thing comes with. I haven't been keeping up with my mustang facts too much. I have been really busy with school. I would say that the modular motor is an awesome motor. It's way better then the 5.0L pushrod motor. The modular motor is their best platform right now until Ford decides to develope something better. Then that will be the next baby.

Just a little insight... Computers are making these cars more advanced everyday. Computer advancement is what's is helping make these cars be all they can be.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mana4Real said:
People bash the 4.6L because it's a small V8. I don't know any other reason why. It makes a crap load of power. The first runs of the 4.6L SOHC were a dog. They didn't make the power that they were capable of. Now you see these stock motors coming with 300 hp straight from the factory. Just think about it. The first run of in 96 came with 215 hp and 285 lb ft of torque. Now they come with 300 hp and 320 lb ft of torque. That's 85 more hp in a 9 year run. I don't think that's too bad. And that is just in the GT. The 4.6L in the 96 cobra came with what 305 hp? in 03/04 it was an underated 390. Another 85 hp increase. Look at the new shelby GT500 coming out. Isn't that thing suppose to have 450+ HP? But I am really not sure what engine that thing comes with. I haven't been keeping up with my mustang facts too much. I have been really busy with school. I would say that the modular motor is an awesome motor. It's way better then the 5.0L pushrod motor. The modular motor is their best platform right now until Ford decides to develope something better. Then that will be the next baby.

Just a little insight... Computers are making these cars more advanced everyday. Computer advancement is what's is helping make these cars be all they can be.
Yep!....

The amount of HP in relation to the displacement is amazing! When I use to built race motors and very fast street motors (small block V8's back in the 80's) , the bar was always 1hp per 1 cubic inch. ie.....302 V8= 302hp..... we called it volumetric efficiency, which is more or less a lost art for engine building of air flow and HP.

In short.....you all are spoiled. I bought the first FI 302 in 86 in a Mustang. Everyone deemed it the end of the performance. Same thing happened in 96 with the 4.6L.

I went to the SEMA show back in 96 and went a Ford class on how to hotrod the new 4.6L and we were amazed at the engineering that went into that motor. 5.0 guys will never like it, if they don't already.

Cubic Inches is nice, efficiency is better. You only have to look at todays motorcycle engines to realize why. Car motors are not there yet, but they are on their way. Ford is leaps ahead of GM in this department, and it will come back to bite GM for not going this route in the near future.

In fact the engines are getting so efficient that only Forced Induction is going to keep it going in the HP wars of today. I just wish Ford would go Turbo instead of Supercharging. Oh well.......My .02

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.