Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently resurrected my wife's 1966 Mustang with the 200 ci I6. It sat for over 10 years. I had a couple of Mustangs back in the day so this is a labor of love for sure. But I am getting frustrated. I have replaced the fuel tank, carburator, starter, plugs, wires, etc. but I have two main issues yet. After idling just fine for about 60 seconds, the car dies. I have to lay the pedal to the floor to restart it and it eventually clears and then the whole things starts over. Part two is the complete lack of power. It takes a long flat stretch to get any speed built up. Again, brand new (remanufactured Autolite 1100 carb). Ready for some other insight! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I recently resurrected my wife's 1966 Mustang with the 200 ci I6. It sat for over 10 years. I had a couple of Mustangs back in the day so this is a labor of love for sure. But I am getting frustrated. I have replaced the fuel tank, carburator, starter, plugs, wires, etc. but I have two main issues yet. After idling just fine for about 60 seconds, the car dies. I have to lay the pedal to the floor to restart it and it eventually clears and then the whole things starts over. Part two is the complete lack of power. It takes a long flat stretch to get any speed built up. Again, brand new (remanufactured Autolite 1100 carb). Ready for some other insight! Thanks!
Of course I was gonna say "carb" until I got to the end of your post and saw that it had been replaced.

I can't authoritatively solve your problem, but I can tell you 2 things you ought to do: 1 is test the compression (just thread it in and spin the engine over to see what you're getting), and 2 while the plug is out, read it and see if you can determine whether the engine has been running too rich, too lean, or just right.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi,
I'll add to the good advice of the previous reply, have you doane a major tune up? Check the engine vac? Check fuel delivery volumn at the carb? Replaced any inline filters?
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I would be checking the vacuum advance. And did you replace the carb like for like? SCV carb?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If you are still using a points distributor check the dwell closely. Ford distributors used bushings that liked to wear out. The shaft may seem tight and you might be able to set the dwell at idle, but as RPM increases the angle will jump all over the place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first thing that pops to mind for me is that the fuel pump is going bad or there is some blockage / vapor lock issue. It dying after 60 seconds of runtime would be about how long it would take to empty the fuel bowl with a lack of properly supplied fuel. I would check your fuel pressure / volume and see if it is supplying enough to keep the engine running. If you have already done this, then completely ignore me :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even after replacing some of the fuel system components, their still might have been contaminants left over. If you have something under the needle and seat it would cause it to flood. The clue you gave me is that in order to restart it, it is necessary to "lay the pedal to the floor". Worth checking...don't go down any other bunny trails yet.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Have you done a compression check of the engine? If rings and cylinders are worn enough you get not only low compression readings but also very low power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies thus far. . . . . . .I can tell you that I did the compression check a bit ago. 100-120 # per cylinder. Not fantastic but should be more than acceptable. Put a see-through inline fuel filter and see adequate fuel headed to the carb.

Have to look into the vacuum advance (had definitely crossed my mind) and the dwell.

Been at this for a while and just want to see some reward for my efforts! Thanks again!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would pull the top off the carb and check the float level. If it is too high you will flood the engine out. Opening the throttle all the way lets in enough air to run, then it floods again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you start the car before you replaced the carb? Did it do it before you replaced it is what I am getting at. Sure sounds like a choke stuck on to me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is your choke opening up like it should? It should be wide open in the 60 seconds you say it idles good, unless your outside temperature is below freezing, which any part of Idaho is this time of year.

Ford was never accused of putting too much engine in the Mustang when they dropped the 200 between the front fenders, but in its stock form, it is adequate for the size of car they put it in. As far as no power, a sticking choke and or timing are the first things that come to mind. Unless you have a California emissions car, you should have a Load O Matic distributor and your carburetor should have a Spark Control Valve (SCV)(looks like a power valve) screwed in the side. The L-O-M distributor has to have a properly functioning SCV carburetor to work properly.

More information as to what you have will help diagnose the problems you are having.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts