Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would assume that my car (2011 V6) would get faster as I burned gas (less weight). But that is when it feels its slowest. Then I fill up and it feels great again.

Is the computer resetting itself when I gas up in the hopes that I'm putting in better than 87?
Is this some kind of indicator that maybe my fuel pump (or something else) isn't working right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
not really sure about why this happens either haha but ive noticed the same thing

·
Registered
352 Posts
Same here...even the car will burn more rubber with a full tank I'm always like WTF

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
water / mositure in fuel?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's probably better traction, with increased weight over the back wheels. Hence the reason there are wider racing slicks to accomplish the same thing without the extra weight.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Never could put a finger on that feeling but it's definitely real. Maybe the fuel pump being fully submerged is getting optimal cooling and is performing at it's best?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've noticed this in more than one car over the years. I've always figured its either better fuel pump performance or, more likely, more weight over the rear resulting in greater suspension "squat" and the resulting pitch change making you feel more "set back" in the seat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
they've been gathering around the bong too long now.

Too many lolipops cornering the bandwagon drill here. "Why yes its that new j45-p fuel pump. Makes yer car go ......(insert magic word here).....FASTER"! "Get that feeling with every fill-up"...."the new j45-p on yer car will make you do write up on car forums.....cuzz now you know I'm not crazzie anymore"!:grinroll: Really when you fill up, the gas from the underground storage is cooler. When cars had the filler neck behind the license plate it was common to see a puddle of fuel on the ground after a fill-up and parking not too far away since on a warm day the gas expanded and overflowed. Drag racers would put dry ice on the intake manifold or installed a "cool can" to squeeze those fuel molucules a little closer in pursuit of more power. Most likely the feeling is with a denser fuel cuzz when they tell you not to top off on a warm day....they're not kidding.:yup:

·
0 Posts
Too many lolipops cornering the bandwagon drill here. "Why yes its that new j45-p fuel pump. Makes yer car go ......(insert magic word here).....FASTER"! "Get that feeling with every fill-up"...."the new j45-p on yer car will make you do write up on car forums.....cuzz now you know I'm not crazzie anymore"!:grinroll: Really when you fill up, the gas from the underground storage is cooler. When cars had the filler neck behind the license plate it was common to see a puddle of fuel on the ground after a fill-up and parking not too far away since on a warm day the gas expanded and overflowed. Drag racers would put dry ice on the intake manifold or installed a "cool can" to squeeze those fuel molucules a little closer in pursuit of more power. Most likely the feeling is with a denser fuel cuzz when they tell you not to top off on a warm day....they're not kidding.:yup:
Love the sarcasm! I was just wondering and even searched this thread yesterday about installing a cool can on the '11s. I've looked and found nothing so maybe I'll start one. I'm one of those old people, who remember those old school mods... Time to check Summit Racing and see if they still carry cool cans.

B

·
0 Posts
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I know my 350z would start to run a little leaner once it determined the tank was low. I think it's to help save gas under those type of conditions to ensure you make it to a gas station.

·
0 Posts
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I know my 350z would start to run a little leaner once it determined the tank was low. I think it's to help save gas under those type of conditions to ensure you make it to a gas station.
Seriously H.A.W.! You know that for sure? Why would Nissan do that? Few ounces of gas saved/versus poorer performance and possible mechanical issues due to lean condition. Sounds crazy to me...

·
Banned
163 Posts
I've always noticed the same thing! Even in my FWD cars, so I don't think it's revolved around the extra weight... Although it could be a possibility.
I think 11Red3.7 is along the right lines. I also think cars in general realize when they're getting low on fuel that they try to conserve it. Idk.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one to notice! :bigthumbsup

·
0 Posts
I've always noticed the same thing! Even in my FWD cars, so I don't think it's revolved around the extra weight... Although it could be a possibility.
I think 11Red3.7 is along the right lines. I also think cars in general realize when they're getting low on fuel that they try to conserve it. Idk.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one to notice! :bigthumbsup
Just googled the crap out of the "cars running lean" based on fuel level/low gas/etc... and Nothing. Yes the fuel pump life can be hurt if you run below a 1/4 tank often, and run it real low and the gas will slosh around and starve the pump and cause worse damage. No lean burn on low gas. I think fuel temp is much more feasable, unless y'all have more evidence I can't find.:)

B

·
0 Posts
I can't find the post/thread either. This was discussed quite awhile ago in my350z.com and there were a number of thoughts on why the z would run leaner when the tank started getting lower (fuel pump pressue/ecu programming etc). I did say that I wasn't sure why it happened, but it had been repeatedly reported by forum members. Again, not even sure if this has anything to do with the Mustang either. It's all conjecture.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
LOL!!! I was about to respond to the OP's thread title with, "I don't know...why does the phone always ring when you're on the toilet?" But it looks like you all might be on to something here? :scratchchin

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
San Diego has the most temperate climate in the country, averaging 67-70 degrees year round. In the winter, lots of 65-70 degree days, now when its a furnace everywhere else in the country, we're sitting at 75-80 degrees at 50% humidity. :smoke:

So temperature is an interesting possibility, and might be the reason I don't notice any difference.

·
0 Posts
San Diego has the most temperate climate in the country, averaging 67-70 degrees year round. In the winter, lots of 65-70 degree days, now when its a furnace everywhere else in the country, we're sitting at 75-80 degrees at 50% humidity. :smoke:

So temperature is an interesting possibility, and might be the reason I don't notice any difference.
I know, I know... My sis lives in Carlsbad. Keep rubbing it in beach boy:nono:

·
0 Posts
The motor cross guys who order specialty racing fuel for their bikes, "always start with a full tank of gas so it will stay cooler" and they "insulate the bottom of their fuel tanks" to keep the engine heat from warming the gas too much. So these guys are all about cold fuel for better performance.motocross racing fuel, supercross racing fuel
I posted a new thread on here almost 3 hours ago about cool cans but it won't populate on to this forum!! How many days between posting and showing up on here?:mesad:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to post. Perhaps the car hinders performance in an attempt to use less fuel just in case you're not near a station?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts