Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 90 fox body. I like the car, but my lord, the whole thing shakes and rattles over every little bump in the road. What can I do to make it stop? Will subframe connectors quiet the ride a little, or will that make it worse? Do you think it's just worn out shocks or bushings? I seriously need help, because the car's just more annoying to drive than fun. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Your issue is probably a combination of everything you mentioned. Subframe connectors will help a lot! Fox 'verts absolutely need them.I would highly recommend these:

MM XL Full Length Connectors : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

After you do those, you will benefit from new shocks/struts and different springs. I use Tokico dampers and don't have any complaints. While installing springs and struts, thoroughly check the bushings for any that are excessively worn.
I will warn you, you can more or less get rid of the shaking and rattling over every little bump thing (I know exactly what you mean, mine used to be like that), but you will never make it a plush ride.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You gotta remember these are 20 year old cars and their design was started over 30 years ago. Engineering has come along way as well as better fabrication, material, quality assurance, blah blah blah....

It is a slow process but start from the foundation and work your way up. Tackle little problems one by one so that you don't get overwhelmed.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, they need alot of suspension work...new shocks, struts, springs and subframe connectors will work wonders

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Make sure your exhaust hangers are good. Get a poly bushing kit, check shocks, adj rear hatch or trunk so the bumpers are tight when latched. Make sure the plastic bushings are still on the door strikers. Make sure you struts are tight to the spindle. And that vert definetly needs SFC's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate it, yall. Makes me feel a lot better. As long as it's fixable. I mean I don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac or anything, I just wanna be able to drive down the road & enjoy the car which I can't do with it like it is. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
^ There are a lot of parts on that list that aren't required to make a fox more civil.
And some that could actually be detrimental to it, such as poly bushings and rear upper control arms.
And, I wouldn't use Strange shocks/struts on a car that isn't used for drag.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good stuff. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which springs to use? Or does it really matter that much? My Mustang looks lowered. Exactly how lowered, I'm not sure. I think the standard is 2", right? It's got aftermarket caster camber plates too. Does a lowered fox body ride harder than one at stock height?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
^ There are a lot of parts on that list that aren't required to make a fox more civil.
And some that could actually be detrimental to it, such as poly bushings and rear upper control arms.
And, I wouldn't use Strange shocks/struts on a car that isn't used for drag.
I strongly disagree. Sure, none of this stuff is required, but all of it will help. Nothing I listed is detrimental to his goal. Also, I've daily-driven on the Strange 10-ways and I love the ability to change the dampening at a moment's notice to suit my needs. I can't imagine why you think they're only for drag racing.

Wait, so poly bushings make the ride stiffer?
No, they don't make the ride stiffer. They tighten up the chassis, get rid of the sloppiness. The shocks/struts/springs are most responsible for whether or not the ride is stiff. Believe me, I'm not talking out of my butt or regurgitating internet ideas. I've owned over 30 Mustangs and tried all kinds of different parts. The combo I'm recommending IS mild or "civil".

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which springs to use? Or does it really matter that much? My Mustang looks lowered. Exactly how lowered, I'm not sure. I think the standard is 2", right? Does a lowered fox body ride harder than one at stock height?
It depends on your goal. For tight cornering, I like Eibach Pro Kit OR Sportline springs... but the lower you go with a 5.0 the rougher the ride gets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never thought I'd say this, but the more civil the better. I've always been performance minded (as in, sure I'll compromise ride quality for a 1G turn), but now I just want all the noise to stop.

If the car has been lowered, and I want to bring it back to stock height, all I have to do is buy stock springs, right? Or is there some other components involved? (Sorry I've never messed with suspensions much.)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I strongly disagree. Sure, none of this stuff is required, but all of it will help. Nothing I listed is detrimental to his goal. Also, I've daily-driven on the Strange 10-ways and I love the ability to change the dampening at a moment's notice to suit my needs. I can't imagine why you think they're only for drag racing.
I consider Strange dampers more drag oriented because they are the only guys that seem to like them. For competition dampers, Konis and Bilstein are usually at the top of the list. For guys that want something for street and maybe come competition, common choices are usually Tokicos and KYBs. I use 5-way adjustable Tokicos, but for what the OP wants, I think Tokico Blues would be an excellent choice.

No, they don't make the ride stiffer. They tighten up the chassis, get rid of the sloppiness. The shocks/struts/springs are most responsible for whether or not the ride is stiff. Believe me, I'm not talking out of my butt or regurgitating internet ideas. I've owned over 30 Mustangs and tried all kinds of different parts. The combo I'm recommending IS mild or "civil".
While they won't make the ride stiffer, poly bushings do transfer more vibrations, shocks, and noise. I am not speaking of this from internet reading, I have replaced all the suspension bushings in my car with poly pieces.
The OP definitely shouldn't be going through and replacing every bushing thinking it will fix his problems. He definitely doesn't need aftermarket rear control arms, and the uppers will exemplify the poor suspension geometry even more.

If the car has been lowered, and I want to bring it back to stock height, all I have to do is buy stock springs, right? Or is there some other components involved? (Sorry I've never messed with suspensions much.)
From your pictures, it looks like the car has been lowered. Again, as I said first, if all you want to a civil ride:
1. Get stock springs, or I have heard good reports on Ford Racing B springs.
2. Get a good set of dampers, would recommend Tokico Blues for your application.
3. Get subframe connectors, good ones like what I had linked to.
4. Examine bushings for any excessive wear.
5. An alignment never hurts, after you do all of the above.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
From your pictures, it looks like the car has been lowered. Again, as I said first, if all you want to a civil ride:
2. Get a good set of dampers, would recommend Tokico Blues for your application.
For a convertible, I would also do a strut tower brace and a "G" load brace. The Ford "B" springs will still lower the car 1", but the ride will be stock. Check the spring isolators (rubber sleeves on springs) for wear. Almost positive they'll be toast. Like YLD said, the KYB's or Tokico's are real decent for the street. If using adj struts/shocks start on the mildest setting, then go from there. I have Koni "reds" and have them on full soft. They ride awesome.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Poly bushings lowering etc will all compromise ride quality. This is why the couch drivers like the lincolns ride well you know like your couch, and you dont see them on the track. Stock suspension is as good as it gets. 7up has some good advice.

Only rattle i have not fixed on mine is the one when the windows are down. If someone has advice for that speak up!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I consider Strange dampers more drag oriented because they are the only guys that seem to like them. For competition dampers, Konis and Bilstein are usually at the top of the list. For guys that want something for street and maybe come competition, common choices are usually Tokicos and KYBs. I use 5-way adjustable Tokicos, but for what the OP wants, I think Tokico Blues would be an excellent choice.

While they won't make the ride stiffer, poly bushings do transfer more vibrations, shocks, and noise. I am not speaking of this from internet reading, I have replaced all the suspension bushings in my car with poly pieces.

The OP definitely shouldn't be going through and replacing every bushing thinking it will fix his problems. He definitely doesn't need aftermarket rear control arms, and the uppers will exemplify the poor suspension geometry even more.

You talk about what people "seem" to do, and what they "usually" do...

That's fine. It's the internet, we all have a voice. In my experience, the two biggest contributors to the Fox Chassis' sloppiness are the the soft strut mount bushings and the soft bushings in the rear control arms. Replacing these with polyurethane bushings (along with a quality set of sub-frame connectors) tightens up the car tremendously so the suspension can do its job. In my current Fox Mustang, those bushings are all solid spherical bearings. [GASP!]

Ironically, I agree about the FRPP B springs. Although I didn't simply "hear" about them. I ran them on my '89 with upgraded strut mounts, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, and upgraded lower AND upper control arms. [GASP!] The car was quite smooth on the street, but also cut a 1.69 60' time on drag radials. It was very versatile.

If you want to get REALLY technical, all out suspension setups like the GR40TT allow you to run light spring pressures and dampening while still offering great handling. (probably due to their SLA front ends and torque arm rears) I suppose you could couple those with some nice plush S-rated 15" tires and have a Fox that rides super smooooth, but I don't really think that's what the original poster had in mind. These Fox Mustangs in factory form are sloppy little SOBs. It's even worse when they are all worn out from decades of use. They're almost scary running over bumps and in the corners. But they can be dramatically improved with readily available performance parts. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
There is no such thing as a comfortable ride with performance parts. Its one or the other. As for OP I think that was exactly what he was asking. And why are you impressed with a 1.69 60' w/ dr's?

·
Registered
266 Posts
hey i think you guys went overboard here lol!

just make sure to get Sub Frame Connectors, they are really good. (only the weld on ones)

and get new shocks and struts, if they have not been changed for awhile like 50K miles or so. If they have been changed more recently then look elsewhere in the suspension as there is something worn out.

then you will probably be comfortable. also if your tires are heavily worn then new tires will make a Huge difference. ( It did on my car)

i have a 1990 Vert 5.0

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts