Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a red 2001 Mustang GT premium coupe. This past August, I noticed that the paint on the top surface of my rear wing is showing signs of fading. I have always kept the car clean and waxed, but it is not garage-kept. The paint and clear coat are all original. The wing still shines when I wax it, but the underlying paint is turning white-ish. Isn't this way too early for factory paint to be doing this? I previously had a 1985 GT whose paint didn't start fading until it was 10 years old (also not garage-kept). Do I have a case to go to Ford with this? Have others encountered this problem? I don't want to paint. What should I do? Any advice would be great.

I have read through this forum a little and see a post yesterday for oxidized paint - I guess that *might* be what's happening to my paint, but I wax it religiously. It looks more faded to me. Perhaps gears4554 or others have some pointers??
-Sam

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you positive this panel has not be painted? Did you buy the car new? There is always a chance that the spoiler was painted. Even if you bought the car new sometimes new cars are dealer received damaged. They may have sent it to the body shop to repaint the spoiler. Your warrenty is up and you will not have a chance with them. You could try to polish it. Can you post some pics? Im guessing the uv has gotten to the clear and it is mostly gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Teeto. I did get the car used with 11k miles on it. I guess there's a chance it was painted. I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow and post them. So the UV can actually eat away the clear??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.