Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think the mirror is mouted way too low? Granted, I'm pretty tall, but geez, it seems like it's in the middle of the windshield. Yesterday, I almost got into a wreck because it totally covered up a car I didn't know was there.

Does anyone have any experience moving the rear view mirror or remounting it? I need to make mine much higher.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mmm, can't say I've ever had a problem with it, but I'm not the largest man by any means...

·
Registered
496 Posts
5twenty said:
Does anyone else think the mirror is mouted way too low? Granted, I'm pretty tall, but geez, it seems like it's in the middle of the windshield. Yesterday, I almost got into a wreck because it totally covered up a car I didn't know was there.

Does anyone have any experience moving the rear view mirror or remounting it? I need to make mine much higher.
This may seem dumb but have you lowered the seat?

·
Registered
348 Posts
lol. thats what i was thinking. im 6"2 and i have never had a problem. and yes i am big by all means. i dont think remounting the mirror will do it any justice. i tried to do that a couple times before and it just never stays like it should. im always worried its gunna drop off. may i recomend phone books?? :typo:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AirGoNomyk said:
This may seem dumb but have you lowered the seat?
I'm 6'8", the seat is all the way down and all the way back. But my head is not hitting the roof, the mirroe just seems too high for me, but that's what I get for being freak size.

(6'8" = 5'20" --- 5Twenty....get it?)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am 6' 1 1/2", so not quite as tall as some of you guys, but I was able to adjust the mirror to where it almost touches the upper light console above it. Helped some, but most vehicles these days have overly large rear morrors. I hate my wife's '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee's rear mirror and the seating position suck for tall people. They are designing way too many cars for women verses the taller designs of yor. Oh well....

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
5-11 and no probs... mirror is maybe too high... uhh... just for me to fit the emergencylight bar above it.... but honestlt don't think they could mount it much higher without showing the celing or wierd angles...??

PS. Moving this to the talk section...

N

·
0 Posts
5twenty said:
I'm 6'8", the seat is all the way down and all the way back. But my head is not hitting the roof, the mirroe just seems too high for me, but that's what I get for being freak size.

(6'8" = 5'20" --- 5Twenty....get it?)
no way...thats the meaning behind the screenname? thats pretty good...talk about thought goin into it...you have got to post a pic of you in the stang...i'm 6'2 and people tell me i'm too tall for it...but my brother is 6'7 and he fits next to me fine..i havent let him in the drivers seat yet though..so i'd love to see a pic

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Yeah, 6'2" here also. I too have the seat all the way down and significantly back.

On my truck, when the mirror fell off, I re-located it to a much higher position on the windscreen. *MUCH* better. I totally recommend moving it up but like someone else just said, it never holds quite as well. Before doing that, I turned the mirror over, so the attachment was at the bottom and then adjusted the double hinge thingy to lay the mirror very close to the windshield and up higher. I never use the dimmer dealie anyway so I don't miss that it's now on top .

Does anyone else have problems with the side mirrors blocking your view of things like curbs? I have never driven a car with so little view of the things to your side. Still better than anything else though :) But the Taurus had bright lights that lit up, on the side of the car, when you activated the blinkers. Totally illuminated the way to the turn you are about to make. I miss that feature, even if I don't miss the car [it's parked at the curb].

Those Mustang side mirrors are huge.

Like Will Smith's ears, they stick out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Rear view is fine, I have it up almost as high as it'll go, but I agree on the gigantic side mirrors. They're too tall and mounted too high. It feels dangerous at crosswallks and side streets sometimes. I think it's because of the high sill and dash. Even the city sticker creates a blind spot on this car. Any decent aftermarket side mirrors?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Ok, I remembered to try it on the Mustang. Here's a picture of what it looks like if you carefully turn the mirror over. It slips right into that position, as though it was meant to be there. Even fits the shape of the light fixture thingy [if I'm getting too technical for anybody, speak right up... there is no limit to my capacity to "dumb it down")

Muy bueno!!! (that's mexican for "me likey!") Boy, there I go, insulting the Mexicans... Lord, I apologize and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Uhhh.... you did what...???

There are no smaller side mirrors, I have looked high and low... CDC had a set on their demo car but desided not to make them as they were too expensive to make in regards to what they thought they could sell...?!!? They were kinda Testarossa looking...!! Two arms, sleek, and slim!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Poor 20, see i think the phone books are your best answer. its free, and no one will ever no you have them. except me :)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JetBlack said:
Ok, I remembered to try it on the Mustang. Here's a picture of what it looks like if you carefully turn the mirror over. It slips right into that position, as though it was meant to be there. Even fits the shape of the light fixture thingy [if I'm getting too technical for anybody, speak right up... there is no limit to my capacity to "dumb it down")

Muy bueno!!! (that's mexican for "me likey!") Boy, there I go, insulting the Mexicans... Lord, I apologize and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.
Thanks JetBlack. That looks like the solution, I'll try that.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nghtrnnr said:
no way...thats the meaning behind the screenname? thats pretty good...talk about thought goin into it...you have got to post a pic of you in the stang...i'm 6'2 and people tell me i'm too tall for it...but my brother is 6'7 and he fits next to me fine..i havent let him in the drivers seat yet though..so i'd love to see a pic
I got it from a girl I met online, 5Twelve. She rocked. For a while.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Damn.. 6'8.. you missed your calling dude, should've been a basketball player. As for the mirror, I took note of it yesterday after reading this thread and it does look like its mounted a little low on the windsheild, but then again it's mean for normal sized ppl I guess... not giants like yourself lol. Works great for me, I'm only 5'8 :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
You could always have the seat pan removed, chopped and reinstalled. The power seat should still go high enough to compensate up for "normal sized" folks later on...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
mot250 said:
You could always have the seat pan removed, chopped and reinstalled. The power seat should still go high enough to compensate up for "normal sized" folks later on...
Yeah, that's an idea. We could make a kit for the taller people... Shorter bushings. call them Wilt-Stilts or something.

And the kit for short people could be the Lilliputian-Special. You could paint the cubical, seat-raising bushings to look like tiny, little phonebooks.

For those of you not familiar with Lilliput, it was where Gulliver (of Gulliver's travels fame) was tied to the ground, while he slept, by tiny men. Not that anyone but me remembers that kind of crap.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JetBlack said:

That's the solution!!! I thought you meant unbolting or unscrewing the mirror and turning it over. You just meant rotate the mirror on it's mount!! Duh!

Now the mirror is where it should be (for me) and I'm not constantly trying to look around it.

:bounce2: Thanks, JetBlack!!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Gee, I can not even share this problem, first I have a convertible, and my only vison problem with the rear view mirror is my ducktail sucks up a good protion of my rear view. Plus I always have the top down so vision all around is pretty good. Lastly, I am on the shorter side, I am only 5'10", and yes, I do have the seat all the down and back (long legs), but I do not have any isuues with the mirror in the Stang (i.e. I do not have the overhead lights, no problem there). Now I must agree, on my F-150, I find the mirror angle compared to the seating postion to be odd, but noissues with any of my mirror on the Stang.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts