Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 Tungsten Gray GT and am interested in a number of modifications. I figure with everything I want to do from a supercharger, brakes, wheels, exhaust, and more will run me up to $15,000. I am having a delimma of concsious other than being a car guy, having a great car, and because I can spending the money concerns me. I will use her as a daily driver and really don't want to race her. Is there money to be had out there for our cars or is thise really an exercise in ego? Could really use so help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Spectre said:
I will use her as a daily driver and really don't want to race her.
I use my car as daily driver and don't race,, so I personally don't see why I should modify my car, the only mods are cosmetic mods see my sig,, I copied and pasted it for you here too.

Engine: Stock, Cosmetic Mods:
Ford Bullit Wheels & Knock-off Spinners
Yellow Lamin-X Fog Lights Protective Film
3dCarbon "Boy-Racer" Rear 1/4 window louvers

Next step is replacing the stock spoiler with a ducktail, and getting a rear black out panel.

Basically I don’t feel I need extra power the GT has sufficient power, maybe 3-4 years down the line, I will start modding but for sure not anytime soon. Headers, intake and a tune are what im thinking off, but after three years that might change.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just a few comments...

1) If you've never taken a car to the dragstrip, you and your GT should do it. You may get hooked or may not, but it is a life experience not to be missed. And once you're there, I think you'll understand better why some people get so obsessed with the need for speed...meaning more power.

2) What's your root purpose/goal, in terms of the car? An investment, or a means of transportation, or a hobby, or an expression of who you are? I know that sounds kind of psycho-babble-y, but in my opinion you can resolve the money dilemma once you figure out exactly what you want to do with the vehicle.

3) Is your retirement in good order? I'm pretty laissez faire when it comes to what you do with your money, but if you haven't got a good financial plan for retirement you should put that $15K towards it and not the car.

4) The reality is, it's all dust and rust in the end. Rust never sleeps, as Neil Young so famously copped that line from an old commercial. Your life and mine, your Mustang and mine, are just great gifts to be enjoyed while we have them.

So let's do it! :wavey

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Before you spend take a look around this Forum and find out what works as far as options.You could save or spend a lot buying the wrong parts or what if doesn't fit.Trial and error plays a big roll in the world of street rodding or just being in the car hobby.You could work your way into what would best fit your needs so you don't ened up spending all that hard earned money right away.For example..I was on a tight budget one year and to get a set of wheels/tires... I bought 1 wheel and tire a month,after four months the set came together and no monetary stress.Take your time and it will all come together.

·
Registered
528 Posts
POCO said:
Before you spend take a look around this Forum and find out what works as far as options.You could save or spend a lot buying the wrong parts or what if doesn't fit.Trial and error plays a big roll in the world of street rodding or just being in the car hobby.You could work your way into what would best fit your needs so you don't ened up spending all that hard earned money right away.For example..I was on a tight budget one year and to get a set of wheels/tires... I bought 1 wheel and tire a month,after four months the set came together and no monetary stress.Take your time and it will all come together.
First..I couldn't agree more with the above statement, you don't have to do it all at once, maybe one year do tires/wheels/body, the next year do suspension, ehxaust, ect.. and finally do a power adder (supercharger/turbo/nitrous the next year. If you spread out your expenses you won't have such a heavy financial hit all in one year or at one time. Personally I went supercharger first (with injectors, fuel pump, ect...) because I wanted a faster car. I've been waiting for 5 years to find the perfect car that I wanted, during that time nothing grabbed my attention until I found the new Mustang. Once I drove it I knew I needed to supercharge it because if you have a car that looks this good it needs to be that fast...if you know what I mean. Once you start adding things to your car it becomes addicting so you need a plan of attack or should I say order in which you want to mod your car. Determine what is most important (might be exterior appearance, might be engine performance, or something else) and focus on that until you're happy then move to your next area. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you are asking if you will get your money back from the mods you do....no. Does Modding the car raise it's value? Yes.....depending. Trade in value, listed value, probably not much. But if the mods are done by a reputable place and you are selling it to a performance enthusiest, probably yes.

It's a hobby. I spend the money when I can because I enjoy driving the car hard. I like to go fast, and I like to work on the car. I do one thing, and then drive it till I get bored, and want to do something else. If anybody in history added up the cost of a car project, and the time it really takes, we'd all drive stockers!!

if you want an investment, buy bonds.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mods are habit forming. We spend so much time and money to get the car "just right" when something new comes along!!!:happyhapp

Sometimes, it is helpful to stop and smell the roses, remember that the engineers at Ford spent their money to produce a car that is already out of this world.

My mods will be cosmetic for a while. There is so much detail work to do on this mustang. It really shows when it is compared with one that is not taken care of.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
My GTC teacher in junior high school once told me, all questions that start with a why don't generally deserve any answer, except, "Why not?"

It's a rhetorical question you've asked.

If it doesn't make you happy, don't do it.

:winks

Lots of people like 'em stock, lots of people like to modify 'em to make the handling more secure, accelerate faster (if only to get out of the way in emergency situations :eyepoppin ) brake better, and more feel and control.

Some just like to make 'em look better. Given the number of cars I see with some modification, I'd say they do it to make themselves happy or to more closely align the car to whatever vision they have of themselves, or what they think a vehicle should be.

there's no money in it, unless you're Steve Saleen, or Chip Foose. But doing it is the same as playing softball, flag football, whatever -you do it for fun.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought mine to play with. Paid cash, just like my Harley. I don't play golf so I consider my toys to be my hobby. That's what I tell my wife anyway! I sold my '69 Mach 1 3-years ago. The floor pans were starting to go again so I cut it loose. We bought an older house on a bigger lot so I could build my Dream Garage. It took me about a year from ground breaking to move-in. I had a choice to buy and restore another '69 or buy the New Mustang, which I could modify but drive right away. I'm 52, so creepers aren't as much fun as they used to be. It takes years and a lot of cake to restore an old car, and since I'm remodeling our house, I didn't feel I would have the time. I've done a few things to my '06, and it's pretty close to where I want it. The first thing every GT should get is a 4.10 rear. Everything else can wait! I've had it about 5-months and it has 620 miles on it! I had a '69 Boss 302 earlier, and this '06 Mustang would chew it up! The technology is worlds away from the Sixties. This car wouldn't work for me as a daily driver. There's no room in it, and I need 4WD part of the year. Everyone has a different motivation.

·
Registered
787 Posts
boss377 said:
This car wouldn't work for me as a daily driver. There's no room in it, and I need 4WD part of the year. Everyone has a different motivation.
I use to think that this car could be like my 66 vert. I put 400 miles the last year I had it. I put 5,000 miles on mine the first 6 months!! I have a van to drive daily and if I want to drive my stang, I have to move my wife's truck out of the driveway, park it, take the mustang out, move her truck back in the driveway and off I go. Well, let me tell you, I've put 4,000 miles on the second six months of my first year and I would go thruough the PITA steps every day if not for the rainy ones when I don't feel like running around at 4:30 in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.