Ford Mustang Forum banner

Why the heck does Ford still use a NL differential?

1879 10
My 83 Tbird was a Death Sled in winter, no Anti-lock brakes to keep it from spinning on stops, no computerized traction control, and the Non-locking differential meant it constantly kicked to one side with or without winter tires. Now by comparison the 06 Mustang is an improvement but never in my wildest nightmares did I expect it to use EXACTLY the same damm rear end as my Thunderbird! These are thoughts I have on mornings such as these when a freak snow fall has me battling for my life on the way to work. This summer I plan to have a Traction Lok installed but it still begs the question WHY does ford still make these bloody things?? Where's the advantage? And don't say cost because that's bull, they spend a fortune on high tech airbags, crumple zones, advanced braking systems, how much could they lose by adding a $1 of metal to the differential? Someone besides me has to have realized that flaw is probably the single biggest safety concern in these cars and yet nothing is done. Gah! *end rant*
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Good question... It makes no sense since an open differential really has no advantages that I can think of.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.