Ford Mustang Forum banner

Why the heck does Ford still use a NL differential?

1877 10
My 83 Tbird was a Death Sled in winter, no Anti-lock brakes to keep it from spinning on stops, no computerized traction control, and the Non-locking differential meant it constantly kicked to one side with or without winter tires. Now by comparison the 06 Mustang is an improvement but never in my wildest nightmares did I expect it to use EXACTLY the same damm rear end as my Thunderbird! These are thoughts I have on mornings such as these when a freak snow fall has me battling for my life on the way to work. This summer I plan to have a Traction Lok installed but it still begs the question WHY does ford still make these bloody things?? Where's the advantage? And don't say cost because that's bull, they spend a fortune on high tech airbags, crumple zones, advanced braking systems, how much could they lose by adding a $1 of metal to the differential? Someone besides me has to have realized that flaw is probably the single biggest safety concern in these cars and yet nothing is done. Gah! *end rant*
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Kicking to the side is exactly what the open differential does on slippery roads. Climbing hills is like pulling teeth.
Either you're talking about an effect different from the one I'm picturing or there's a flaw in your logic. On days when the roads are slippery my cars rear kicks to one side or the other every time I tap the gas from a stop and often when I'm cruising. Maybe it happens more to me here since the city is too cheap to plow the roads.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.