Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack a thread, so I started a fresh discussion.

WHY would Ford INCLUDE the strut tower brace from the factory when you order a GT with 19" wheels?

Does this help them sell more 19" wheels?

Does this somehow increase the bottom line?

Why not simply sell the fancy wheel upgrade with no strut tower brace?

Is there an engineering reason to include it with the 19" wheels?

Bueller,,,,,,,, Bueller,,,,,,,,,,

RWSRWS

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
The 19" wheels are intended to improve handling, with lower sidewall tires; sort of stiffens the whole thing up a bit. So the strut tower brace is there to help handle the increased load being transferred into the struts from the stiffer wheels/tires and also further stiffen the chassis.

So the whole package is about crisper handling and the strut tower brace is part of that.

Whether it actually makes any significant difference is an open debate.

Personally I like the idea of it, even if it is not significant, I figure why not? And it looks cool under the hood.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I installed a strut tower brace on my 1999 GT and felt an immediate change. Turning and cornering definitely improved. It was worth it.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
486 Posts
My Ecoboost PP came with the K brace that ties the strut towers to the cowl. I just picked up a GT PP strut brace and immediately put it on. I always thought the car was very composed over rough pavement, the additional bracing makes it more so.

Dave

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I installed a strut tower brace on my 1999 GT and felt an immediate change. Turning and cornering definitely improved. It was worth it.
The pre-S197 chassis had a lot more flex, so I'm not surprised by that.

On the S197 chassis I'm sure it does SOMETHING, just not sure it is significant or detectable by anyone less than a pro racer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 19" wheels are intended to improve handling, with lower sidewall tires; sort of stiffens the whole thing up a bit. So the strut tower brace is there to help handle the increased load being transferred into the struts from the stiffer wheels/tires and also further stiffen the chassis.

So the whole package is about crisper handling and the strut tower brace is part of that.

Personally I like the idea of it, even if it is not significant, I figure why not? And it looks cool under the hood.
I have 18" wheels I think. I have the base model. So going with 19" rims will improve handling?

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I have 18" wheels I think. I have the base model. So going with 19" rims will improve handling?
A bit, not sure how noticeable it would be by itself.

The overall diameter of your 18" tires is about 27". If you went to 19" wheels, the new tires would have lower sidewalls to maintain the same 27" overall diameter. So you end up with more wheel; which is very stiff because it is metal; and less tire, which is relatively soft / spongy because it is rubber. So there is less movement in the tire and the whole thing gets a bit more responsive. The ride also gets a bit firmer, or "harsher" to some people.

You could achieve the same thing by using lower sidewall tires on the 18" wheels. But this would also reduce the overall diameter, which is sort of like going with slightly steeper rear gearing; and throws off the speedometer a little bit. Most hard core road track cars use 18" wheels with the lower profile tires, because the 18" wheels are lighter than the 19's.

Reactions: BleednBlue

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just to be clear not all Mustangs that came from the factory with 19" wheels have the strut brace or the K brace.

A guy I work with has a GT with the 50th anniversary appearance package. It came with 19" wheels and has neither the K or strut brace. If you order the base Ecoboost with the 19" wheel & stripe package you don't get either.

If you order the 20" wheel package on either the Ecoboost or GT you get the strut tower brace but you don't get the K brace (correct me if I am wrong about the K brace). The Ecoboost with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has the K brace but no strut tower brace. The GT with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has both the strut tower and K braces. The key to getting one or both braces is the inclusion of high performance summer tires. Both Performance Packages and the 20" wheel package come with the summer tires.

Dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just to be clear not all Mustangs that came from the factory with 19" wheels have the strut brace or the K brace.

A guy I work with has a GT with the 50th anniversary appearance package. It came with 19" wheels and has neither the K or strut brace. If you order the base Ecoboost with the 19" wheel & stripe package you don't get either.

If you order the 20" wheel package on either the Ecoboost or GT you get the strut tower brace but you don't get the K brace (correct me if I am wrong about the K brace). The Ecoboost with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has the K brace but no strut tower brace. The GT with the Performance Package comes with 19" wheels and has both the strut tower and K braces. The key to getting one or both braces is the inclusion of high performance summer tires. Both Performance Packages and the 20" wheel package come with the summer tires.

Dave
You are in the wrong subforum. This is a discussion about 2011-2014 Mustangs, not the 2015+ models.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Strut tower brace

JBert, in your opinion, I'm getting lowering springs for my '06 GT for better handling, and was thinking to add the tower brace as well, so you are saying I would not waste my money if I do add the tower brace.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
. . . . . so you are saying I would not waste my money if I do add the tower brace.
There are some other threads about this with some other opinions, you can have some fun reading up on it if you want.

For my money, they are worth it if . . . . I don't expect any major difference and I can get one for about $100 or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts