Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i recently installed BBK X-pipe with cats, Flomaster delta 40 catback, and new ford racing heads. would i need a wideband meter or sensors? I just know that my lower powerband is a little askew now. this meter ,does it stay installed/mounted cna i rent one, borrow or is it a buy type thing?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Usually when installing wide band O2 sensors you need to add a bung for the wide band O2 sensor. Once it's welded in, you just screw in the wide band O2 sensor and wire it up. It really helps when tuning, And is great if you think you're running lean or rich. Like in real time. You don't have to have an O2 sensor for daily use. When you tune your car, they monitor air to fuel. If you want to install a wide band O2 sensor be prepared to pay. The average that I've seen is about $400.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would a revision of my current tune work or would i need a completely new tune? Do i leave the wideband installed or is it just for tuning purposes? looks like it would be cheaper to have the speed shop revise ny current tune? but i wont know till i can look in to it on monday

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does this stay on the car or no? can i get wideband O2 sensors and work the same?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The wideband can be installed temporarily or permenantly on the car. I chose to hardwire mine and install it with a 5th bung welded into the driver's side just below the stock O2 sensor. I have a boosted car and watch A/F constantly to make sure everything is running in top shape.

I like the idea of knowing what the air fuel ratio is.

On a N/A car, it isn't as critical to run with the wideband installed if you don't want to. You can even have a wideband bung welded in your exhaust and then plug it when you aren't at the dyno. That way you just use the tuner's wideband O2 sensor and you don't have to buy anything else.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
does this stay on the car or no? can i get wideband O2 sensors and work the same?
No, you have to leave the narrow band O2 sensors in the car since the computer is set to control by the narrow band O2 sensors only.

If you want a wideband, you will have to install another O2 sensor bung and install a wideband O2 sensor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No, you have to leave the narrow band O2 sensors in the car since the computer is set to control by the narrow band O2 sensors only.

If you want a wideband, you will have to install another O2 sensor bung and install a wideband O2 sensor.
Good information Chip.

You can get a bung welded into your mid pipe for around $25-40 depending on a local store. Midas, Meinke, etc would be able to do it for you!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If go and have my tune modified then i would NOT need to mess with a wideband at all,correct?? Now i am seeing why everbody uses SCT , because my "predator" wont let me mess with jack sheet. and the Customer service at diablosport is not the best either "they suck" . but this is what i have so might as well work with it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If go and have my tune modified then i would NOT need to mess with a wideband at all,correct?? Now i am seeing why everbody uses SCT , because my "predator" wont let me mess with jack sheet. and the Customer service at diablosport is not the best either "they suck" . but this is what i have so might as well work with it.
If you take your car to get tuned, the tuner will be able to dial in the A/F Ratio, and Tune (Timing, Fuel, etc).

People use widebands for a (Check) so to say, on the tune. Something can always (happen, fail, etc) and cause the tune to lean out, go rich, etc etc, and the Wideband will notify you of that when you are in (WOT) conditions, when your tune/fuel/timing is more important.

:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.