Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 gt and I was wondering what the fatest tire is that I can get for my stock rims. Not only that but I need to know what tire I can get that won't wear too quick but can still get a decent hook. I had some BF goodrich g forces on it and they burned off way too quick for $800. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the ZR's Bridgestone made, Potenzas I believe. I know they do not make that model anymore, but the damn things have lasted longer than I could have possibly imagined. I'd say they are around 35,000 and still decent. I'd say bridgestone...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have BFG G-Force KDW (old tread pattern) on my 00GT. 275/40/17

My tread wear has not been that bad. I probably put about 25k on them. I rotate every 5k miles, and I dont smoke them that often.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have any of you guys heard of douglas performance tires? I work at walmart and can get them for like 90 a piece. Think its worth it? I can get the sizes of them tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
o yeah... 245/45/17...ive seen douglas at shows before but i really do not know of anyone that has used them? Good luck!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Firestone

I agree - 275's are the widest that will fit on the fronts without scrubbing.

I would recommend the Firestone Firehawks I run - great tires, though I'm not sure they're available in the 275/17 size.

Check out www.tiresavings.com - cheapest source I could find, but slow - allow 3 weeks for delivery, no matter what they say.

tripleblack

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'm pretty sure Firehawks are available in that size. Isn't that what came stock on the F-bodies?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the hook on the firestone? Ill check the price out and the tread life, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hard to spin the tires

Hook is excellent (with 295 series on 18" rims - what I use). Tread life rating was very good (320, I believe). Someone told me the Firestones are similar to the Potenza's from Bridgestone (same parent company).

Price I paid for the 295's was $189 plus about $12 shipping. $200 for a 295/18 of this quality is pretty cheap... Their service is slow, though, so keep that in mind.

tripleblack

gtrider said:
How is the hook on the firestone? Ill check the price out and the tread life, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the firestone Indy 500. It has a rating of 500 and a hook rating of a. Is this size (275/65/17) going to fit on my car? I hope so cause they are only 89 a piece.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont believe that is going to fit on the front. I get a slight rub from the fronts if I crank the wheel all the way with 275/40's. I would assume the rear will be good..

BTW, how do you like the Magnaflow X Pipe? I will be ditching the stock H soon...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like it a lot. It has a real nice low rumble with my borla. It should sound good with your set up too. You should be able to feel the difference.......So 265 would be a safer bet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe 265 would be safer, but I don't know for sure if it will rub or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should look in to a set of Nitto tires. I put them on my Cobra and I went with 295's all th way around. I have not had a problem with rubbing. On My 2000 GT I have Goodyear 245's on the front and 275's on the back. I can tell a huge difference in the performance of the Nitto's.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
65 series?

65 series is way too tall. You need to be looking for a 45 series.

tipleblack

gtrider said:
I was looking at the firestone Indy 500. It has a rating of 500 and a hook rating of a. Is this size (275/65/17) going to fit on my car? I hope so cause they are only 89 a piece.

·
Registered
162 Posts
tripleblack said:
65 series is way too tall. You need to be looking for a 45 series.

tipleblack
Exactly the point I was gonna make, those are like truck tires or something. THose are 31s basically. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 gs all the way around at the 275/40/17 size. That size should put me at like 25.7". You could go with the 45 series as opposed to the 40 series and that would get you about a 26.7" tall tire. And I have no problem as of yet with rubbing although the car is getting lowered tuesday and then it might be a different story

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2000 gt and I was thinking 265/40/17 for the fronts and 275/35/17 for the back. Will that work? Will that look ok? Anyone have the same setup with pics? Also I had a question what does the first number stand for. I know what the last one means and the middle number is how wide the tire is right? What does the first one stand for? Is that the width from the rim to the top or bottom of the tire? Well someone let me know. ALso Im looking for a tire that I can get in those two sizes for like $150 or less so Id appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
491 Posts
65 series is way too tall. You need to be looking for a 45 series
Definitaly to tall, about 2.75" overall to tall, the car will look like A$$. Stick with the 275/40's that will keep the overall tire diameter the same as the 245/45's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait I was thinking 265 was shorter than 275 but its the other way around? I'll just do that then. I'll put 275/40's all around. I just wanted 35's on the back because I wanted wider tires on the back but if its gona look stupid then I wont do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.