Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, but my wife's 2009 Mits Eclipse has the same width of tire and she only has 182hp.
Don't know what ford was thinking putting these skinny tires on a 412+ hp car? What is the widest tire I can put on my stock 18" rims? I want something that when you're looking at the rear you can see some meat on those tires. Nothing looks better IMO, than an awesome car with some meat on the tires.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Don't know what ford was thinking putting these skinny tires on a 412+ hp car? What is the widest tire I can put on my stock 18" rims? I want something that when you're looking at the rear you can see some meat on those tires. Nothing looks better IMO, than an awesome car with some meat on the tires.
Horsepower has absolutely nothing to do with tire width. Bragging rights maybe, but not tire width.

We're not driving Vipers, Corvettes, Ferraris, or any other specialized sports cars that are great for the track and little else. It's a Mustang, and part of that is cost effective.

Wide supercar meats cost big money, and that's something that some of us don't want to have to fork over every 30,000 miles. I like my somewhat skinny tires!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Horsepower has absolutely nothing to do with tire width. Bragging rights maybe, but not tire width.

We're not driving Vipers, Corvettes, Ferraris, or any other specialized sports cars that are great for the track and little else. It's a Mustang, and part of that is cost effective.

Wide supercar meats cost big money, and that's something that some of us don't want to have to fork over every 30,000 miles. I like my somewhat skinny tires!
Ya, I know. Having 412hp makes it hard to get traction with the skinnies unless you feather the clutch. I can break the tires loose in 3rd gear for crying out loud. lol

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only reason I brought up this topic is because I was looking at a vette today. 100% stock and the rear tires look like they are 15" wide. But I know the mustang is a cost effective car and comparing the vette to the stang is not apples to apples.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Any width tire you could put on the back you'd be able to spin so a wider tire alone isn't going to make a big difference in that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any width tire you could put on the back you'd be able to spin so a wider tire alone isn't going to make a big difference in that.
Ya, I know....

I was just simply asking what the widest tire you can put on the stock 18".

Looks like I will be looking into aftermarket wheels for the look I want.

·
Registered
659 Posts
American Muscle has a 18x10 replica of the stock wheel you have, FYI. I think they are around or less than $150/wheel.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking at these 18x10
Look good on a black 5.0?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Only reason I brought up this topic is because I was looking at a vette today. 100% stock and the rear tires look like they are 15" wide. But I know the mustang is a cost effective car and comparing the vette to the stang is not apples to apples.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'd LOVE some nice wide tires for the back, as I too love the look. My only disagreement was with your critique of the stock tire size.

Interestingly enough, on a test drive of a 2012 Mustang in Texas before I bought my current car, the wheels spun all the way through second gear. My 2011 simply won't do it...still goes like hell though. Could this be because of my slightly wider 245/45-19s?

·
Registered
659 Posts
My 255's spun down here in TX. The 275 I have on the back still spins.

It also is dependent upon the pavement your on too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 255's spun down here in TX. The 275 I have on the back still spins.

It also is dependent upon the pavement your on too.

Now that's something I hadn't thought about.

When I was down in San Antonio last month I couldn't believe how easily my motorcycle spun the back tire. This was something I never experienced before, but on some roads I'd spin the tire in third gear. A sportbike should almost NEVER spin the back tire, under normal circumstances I'd go over backwards before the tire lost grip, but not down there. I think it was because of dust on the roads....regardless there is lots less grip than I get up here in Wisconsin.

So it now makes sense how the Mustang I drove in Texas spun the wheels but mine up here grips and goes. Glad you mentioned that, I was beginning to think something was wrong!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I put those American Muscle 18x10's on the back with a pair of the same tire in a 275/40.

Would've preferred at least a 285, but at the time the Tire rack couldn't get the P Zero Nero all season any wider (not only would I have preferred more width but the 275/40 is ~ 1/2" less in diameter than the 235/50...but that's OK, makes it a little quicker), plus AM recommended the 275.

There's no question they hook up better than the stock 235's, but I can still roast them easily.

Very happy with them and I love the look of the silver 5 spokes w/the Kona. Plus, unless you look close you'd think they were stock.

Wanted to put the blue oval center caps on the rears but they don't fit these AM wheels. Couple guys at work think they can hook me up, although the name 'American Muscle' to me is cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Now that's something I hadn't thought about.

When I was down in San Antonio last month I couldn't believe how easily my motorcycle spun the back tire. This was something I never experienced before, but on some roads I'd spin the tire in third gear. A sportbike should almost NEVER spin the back tire, under normal circumstances I'd go over backwards before the tire lost grip, but not down there. I think it was because of dust on the roads....regardless there is lots less grip than I get up here in Wisconsin.

So it now makes sense how the Mustang I drove in Texas spun the wheels but mine up here grips and goes. Glad you mentioned that, I was beginning to think something was wrong!
Some pavement down here is more slippery than wet pavement and it doesn't have gravel, sand or other debris on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.