Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my wheels widened by Weldcraft to put on some more serious rubber out back.

What's the widest I can go (I was thinking 11 inches, I have the 8.5 inch wide 18" stock Bullitts), and the best tire width for that size for optimal performance?

I'd prefer to stagger the tire fitments (or even the wheel widths) between the front and rear with the front being thinner, unless that's unwise in terms of functionality.

I also would prefer not to have to use spacers or modifying anything otherwise, but spacers wouldn't be so bad.

I intend to lower the car by anywhere from 2.5-3 inches, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looking to get my wheels widened by Weldcraft to put on some more serious rubber out back.

What's the widest I can go (I was thinking 11 inches, I have the 8.5 inch wide 18" stock Bullitts), and the best tire width for that size for optimal performance?

I'd prefer to stagger the tire fitments (or even the wheel widths) between the front and rear with the front being thinner, unless that's unwise in terms of functionality.

I also would prefer not to have to use spacers or modifying anything otherwise, but spacers wouldn't be so bad.

I intend to lower the car by anywhere from 2.5-3 inches, if that makes any difference.
Offset is everything. Do a search on here. There are tons of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh lawd. I have zero understanding of how offset works.

I was trying to convert ET to millimeters yesterday...

I think my wheels have 55mm offset and the fitment chart I was looking at used ET offset.
DAMN. -searches threads while googling offset some more-

·
Registered
221 Posts
The benefit to not staggering is ability to rotate your tires. Beyond that there isn't really an argument against staggering.

How wide you want the fronts depends on how you want to drive. If the only performance driving you want to do is drag racing, then keep the fronts skinny to reduce rolling resistance and weight. But if you want to take corners fast you need as much traction as you can get, so you want as wide as you can go. I've heard of people running 275's up front without clearance issues, but 255 is a more common size. As for the rears, I've heard of people going as high as 315's, but 285's are most common.

For proper rim width go to tirerack.com. They have spec sheets on all the tires. Pick the brand and tire size you are interested in, and it'll tell you the recommended rim width.

As for what offset you need in order to clear whatever size rim/tire, I don't know that one. Sorry.

And lastly, 2.5-3" drop is insane. You might want to rethink that. Most S197 drops are in the 1-1.5" range.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And lastly, 2.5-3" drop is insane. You might want to rethink that. Most S197 drops are in the 1-1.5" range.
good idea about TireRack's charts, thanks for that!

about the lowering, I want to get H&R coilovers, the ones I was looking at said they generally gave a 2-2.7 inch drop on the 2005-09 GT's. -shrug-

·
Registered
711 Posts
good idea about TireRack's charts, thanks for that!

about the lowering, I want to get H&R coilovers, the ones I was looking at said they generally gave a 2-2.7 inch drop on the 2005-09 GT's. -shrug-
Here's a good calculator for you man:
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - WWW.RIMSNTIRES.COM

As far as lowering goes. Best way is fully adjustable coilovers. If you don't like one drop setting, just get underneath and change it! :rollgrin: I have the KW Variant 1's. They are great. I still have some adjustment in both front and rear but I am pretty much slammed.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.