Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive posted something about this in the v6 lounge but thought id try it here in the tech threads.... i have a 01 5 speed mustang and when ever i get into 3rd ' get to 3k rpm's there's a wierd rubbing/screetching noise that starts all of a sudden. It only does that when i step on the gas too , when i let off it dies down and then its back when i accelerate. I have a CAI and duals but dont think it has anything to do with that so if anyone could give me some info it'd be great . thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
alot of cold air intakes have two holes on the intake. One for the PCV connection, one for the IAT sensor. Most newer cars have their IAT sensor near the cylinders, so the IAT hole on the intake is unused, but left open and unplugged, that is what may be causing your noise. It also has to do with how far down your pedal goes and your TPS brings in a certain amount of air which makes a whistling sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lcurle said:
alot of cold air intakes have two holes on the intake. One for the PCV connection, one for the IAT sensor. Most newer cars have their IAT sensor near the cylinders, so the IAT hole on the intake is unused, but left open and unplugged, that is what may be causing your noise. It also has to do with how far down your pedal goes and your TPS brings in a certain amount of air which makes a whistling sound.
thanks for the info , im gonna attempt to plug up that hole becuase that rubbing noise is driving me nutts !:doh: .. i really dont mind that whistling sound (sounds sort of kool ) matter a fact . thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the IAT hole , wasnt covered so i put a gromet in . drove it around for a min. and still the rubbing noise continues ! its driving me nutts ! it only happens when i step on and let of the gas in 3rd and 4th around 3000 rpms ..any other suggestions ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Venom810 said:
Checked the IAT hole , wasnt covered so i put a gromet in . drove it around for a min. and still the rubbing noise continues ! its driving me nutts ! it only happens when i step on and let of the gas in 3rd and 4th around 3000 rpms ..any other suggestions ?
does your battery or e-brake light(s) ever come on when this happens?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
Checked the IAT hole , wasnt covered so i put a gromet in . drove it around for a min. and still the rubbing noise continues ! its driving me nutts ! it only happens when i step on and let of the gas in 3rd and 4th around 3000 rpms ..any other suggestions ?
Could be a backing plate on the brakes, a plastic inner fender that's loose, a broken exhaust mount (that one drove me nuts on my 82 Mustang. Sounded like the rear end was going to break loose!

It could be sympathitic harmonics with a lot of components.

It's really hard to diagnose sounds over the internet . . .

Take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out .. .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kscoyote said:
Could be a backing plate on the brakes, a plastic inner fender that's loose, a broken exhaust mount (that one drove me nuts on my 82 Mustang. Sounded like the rear end was going to break loose!

It could be sympathitic harmonics with a lot of components.

It's really hard to diagnose sounds over the internet . . .

Take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out .. .
i check the brakes out and there clean and in well shape , just took it to a exuahst shop and everything is kool there so my next step is to take it to a dealership for a transmission inspection wich i pray to god if the problem is there it'll be minor ! but thanks for the tips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
i check the brakes out and there clean and in well shape , just took it to a exuahst shop and everything is kool there so my next step is to take it to a dealership for a transmission inspection wich i pray to god if the problem is there it'll be minor ! but thanks for the tips
you checked out the backing plates?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
my moneys on u-joints...they can act wierd sometimes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kscoyote said:
you checked out the backing plates?
ye . my uncle took the brakes apart and we did a full maintaince on them ,checked everything (including the backing plates) ran the car a few miles and the noise is still there. :eyebulge: ima look like that pretty soon ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wayne94mustang said:
my moneys on u-joints...they can act wierd sometimes
could be , im gonna take it to a ford dealership this weekend and figure out what it is ...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top