Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought this mustang from a guy with a few mods already. and im currently learning about cars as i go over each part :) theres a noise that happens occasionally from a part near my throttle body (yes i know its whining :( happened after i adjusted my idle)... it sounds sorta like a clicking that happens from this "thing" anyone mind telling me what it is? :p (go ahead and slap the noob badge on me :dunce: maybe the sound is natural, or he put something on it? sounds fine from the exhaust :p the sig doesnt have all the mods... just what i know is there... dad lost the paper with every mod ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
That is the EGR Valve. I have never heard mine make noise. You can take it off with the 2 nuts and clean the carbon off of it with parts cleaner. Maybe when it is going in and out it is hitting some carbon baked on it and causing a clicking knocking sound.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Could be a plug wire arcing. If you're headers are equal lengths, they sometimes are very close to the sparkplug boot. You'll see a burn spot, and a hole in the boot, if this is the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k

ah ok ill try to clean it later today then thx! and i dont think its my spark wires... ive taken a lot of care into preventing them from touching the headers :p btw if you dont mind me asking whats the EGR Valve do? i can just google it if u dont feel like answering :) thx again

·
Registered
551 Posts
EGR: Exaust Gas recirculation.
Short answer: its an emmisions bit.
Longer answer: It takes gasses that escape the combustion chambers into the crankcase and run them back into the engine to be burned, insteadof escaping, thus cleaner emmisions.

And ditto, I've never heard one making noise like you describe, but who knows, LOL. Have you pulled the cars codes yet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no... dunno how to do that... gonna go to a mustang shop and get it dyno tested this weekend... guy told me it had 365 hp but i just want to know all there is about it... while im there would they have the equipment to pull the codes? better yet is there anything i can buy to see em? such as http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 that from autozone? :p

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
AnarchyNeo said:
no... dunno how to do that... gonna go to a mustang shop and get it dyno tested this weekend... guy told me it had 365 hp but i just want to know all there is about it... while im there would they have the equipment to pull the codes? better yet is there anything i can buy to see em? such as http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 that from autozone? :p
You don't need to buy a scanner. Look at the illustration here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com//Detailed/445.shtml
All you need is a jumper wire between STI and SIG RTN. The "check engine" light will flash out the codes. You don't need the testlight or the volt meter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
k i went ahead and bought one and i got pass test on all... cept one portion where the 21 Engine Coolant Temperature sensor signal voltage: out of range...
:eek: at least i think... i couldnt really get down the beeps lol, got it on vid ill look into it a lil more... the whine stopped when the computer was testing... so would i need to adjust the timing or something? and the chirping from the EGP valve stopped at the higher rpms... i still need to clean it out...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
AnarchyNeo said:
k i went ahead and bought one and i got pass test on all... cept one portion where the 21 Engine Coolant Temperature sensor signal voltage: out of range...
:eek: at least i think... i couldnt really get down the beeps lol, got it on vid ill look into it a lil more... the whine stopped when the computer was testing...
Sounds like you may have scanned before the engine was fully warmed up?
Check out the "sticky" thread at the top of this page, on throttle body whine. Maybe that's what it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i've already read it... and it might be that... because i let it warm up to 180 or w/e but it cooled a lil bit b4 i started the test... appreciate the help, im gonna clean the valve today and hope the chirping noise stops :)

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
One way you can test your ECT sensor is to boil some water and put the sensor in there. Measure the resistance.

Now take it out and wait a while and measure the resistance. If it doesnt change your sensor is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@@@@@@@@

I Had The Same Prob. And If U Listen To The Noise Up Close I Think Is Coming From The Tb I Have The Same Bbk 70mm Tb And It Made That Same Noise. So What U Can Do Is Turn Back The Lil Screwthe Adjust Ur Iddle And The Noise Should Go Away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heh i tried that and it didnt kill the whine... but yet when i ran the tests it stopped

·
Registered
122 Posts
BadlandsGhost said:
EGR: Exaust Gas recirculation.
Short answer: its an emmisions bit.
Longer answer: It takes gasses that escape the combustion chambers into the crankcase and run them back into the engine to be burned, insteadof escaping, thus cleaner emmisions.

And ditto, I've never heard one making noise like you describe, but who knows, LOL. Have you pulled the cars codes yet?
actually the egr valve takes exhaust gas and adds it to the intake airstream to lower combustion temps to lower NOX emmissions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.