Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86' 5.0L gt 5 speed,tilt wheel, cruise control , 129,000 miles, runs fine... but when i "jiggle" the steering wheel up and down with the little play it has, the motor looses spark instantly it will cut off then if i quickly play with it some more (wiggly it) it cuts back on.... any ideas ?

:headscratch:

thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
maybe your ignition wire is loose??? or somewhere around tha area i always try to avoid doing anything in that area cause everyone i know ends up knocking some wire out of place

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
check the ign. switch,electrical part down on the column.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I agree, check the ignition switch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if it is the ignition switch save some money go to the hardware store and buy two switches "or a switch and a push button one" and do a fuel pump cut off switch as well as either a toggle ignition or a push button ignition prolly save you a few bucks and it would be awesome plus when you hide the fuel pump switch you wont have to worry about theifs.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wasnt there a recall on the ignition switches for mustangs around those years?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed

well guys I fixed the problem, it was the plastic block that all the ignition wires runs into then that block plugs into like a cast aluminum thing made of some sort of weak pot metal, its hard to explain but those who have seen it know what im talking about , anyways the tabs i guess over time slowly bent loose , so i pushed the wire block back in the and beat the tabs down and shes doing fine now. I can sit there at idle and shake the hell out of the steering wheel and tilt it as much as i was and no stall at all.....:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.