Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the deep dish 10.5" wide 17" wheels on the rear of a stang. I was told by someone that you could fit these wheels on a fox and the only 2 things you would have a problem with is hitting the tailpipes and quadshocks. I have new lower control arms that dont require the quads shocks so thats no problem. But with the tailpipes, they are almost perfectly even with the inside of the wheel well, so doesnt that mean that if they were to hit the tail pipe, they would hit the inner wheel well also? I am not sure of the backspacing of the rims i will be getting, but i will find out ASAP. anyone who can enlighten me on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
not sure on the tailpipes or wheel wells.
but i know if quad shocks are a problem, you can turn them upside down.

also, if they dont rub, you may have a fender protrusion issue, meaning theyre gonna stick out from the car a bit. i know the 9" cobra rims come RIGHT to the fender edge.

now here in PA, there are laws about having exposed spinning tire outside the fenderwell.

i think the 10.5's are a bit wide.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run a 26 x 10.5 x 15 ET street on the back. No problem at all. But than again I do not have quad shocks and tail pipes. if it hits quad shocks than remove them. Will not have a negative effect on ride or anything.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1stPny said:
I run a 26 x 10.5 x 15 ET street on the back. No problem at all. But than again I do not have quad shocks and tail pipes. if it hits quad shocks than remove them. Will not have a negative effect on ride or anything.
Well like I said, I have new LCA's so the quadshocks wont be a problem, but i want to keep the tailpipes (I have a GT rear bumper and I made cutouts for chrome tailpipes to come straight out instead od turndown type and i love them). And I dont carry a spare with me usually because I mostly drive local and I have never gotten a flat and even if I did, there is always someone around that can grab it out of my garage for me. So, one of the things I was thinking I can do is cut out the spare tire area and weld the trunk floor flat, then raise up the fuel tank so it would be up high enough to run the tail pipes under it. Would thins work? I have not lowered the tank or looked at it at all to check it out but this is what I was thinkin of doing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
that is some SERIOUS work for just a new set of wheels. youre best bet is to find someone who has them and see if you can try em on for size.

maybe look into a set of wheel spacers for the rear? you can get them in various thicknesses, like if your only missing by like half an inch.
they make them in up to 1" thickness. that could give you the little extra room you need.

curious, would you run 9"ers up front?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
systronic said:
curious, would you run 9"ers up front?
i know its a lot of work but i have plenty of time to do it. And yes I will be running 9"ers up front. but see the thing is, I will be getting 5 lug rims and I dont want to buy 2 sets of wheels, I figured Ill do the 5 lug swap and buy these wheels at the same time. I love working on my car and I dont mind putting a lot of work into something so simple. I want my car to be different. Honestly, it would cost me the same to get a set of regular, chrome cobra rims which it seems like EVERYONE has as it would to get these. The only difference would be the amount of work it would involve to put them on which I dont have a problem with at all. I have all the resources, welder, airtools and plenty of regular hand tools, so I have no doubt I can get them on. I'm just curious as to how much will be involved in it thats all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill do whatever i have to to fit these on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.