Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have just about completed restoration of 67...put a 5.0 and t-5 form 88 in it....and power steering....from 67 era...well there is ALOT of play...i think dangerous...i still have 88 car and can steal the rack and pinion from it...will it fit? has anyone ever done that??

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 1967 did not have a rack & pinion steering but that does nto say that you could not adapt one to it. You need to measure the underside area and see if a rack will be able to be retro fitted to it. if you had a Mustang II k-member then all would be great but I will assume you do not. The poswer steering on the 67 was power asist and yes they did have ply in the power nassist unit and they were prone to many issues of wear and as far aas I was concerned back then the need for something better. I am picturing in my mind the frames from back then and if my memory is correct there is a good under reaching frame member that travels under the oil pan and it has the camber adjustment there. If you could manufacture a good welded on brackets to accept the rack it may work. But I think the rack off the 88 might be too short and thta you will nee a full sized rack. But again with out measuring I can nto say for sure. But with time nd efort it should be able to be done and it will then steer much better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts