Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a used 2011-2012 Mustang GT possibly online. This would mean that I would possibly get a non-CA emissions approved vehicle. I know if it doesn't have the sticker it has to have at least 7500 miles on it for CA to consider it a used car. Once it's past that mark though all it has to do is pass the smog check.

I assume most modern cars should pass the dyno smog test but after doing a lot of searching I've found nothing definitive. Has any one does this? Does anyone know for sure if a 49-state emission GT will pass the test?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean they will all pass the test right?

It was my understanding that not all had the sticker (which is all that California looks at). Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It sounds as though you've already pretty much answered your own question. Over 7500 miles and they're gonna let it in.

For definitive answers, I'd check with both CARB and BAR online. Also a little chat with DMV might help.

I'd be more interested in what DMV may charge one to bring a car in to California. Surely they can answer that question.

Not sure, but late model cars designed for original sale in the USA may all now meet 50 states regulations...as tailpipe emissions have gradually gotten more strict for all states.

To be sure, ask to see a picture of the underhood label on any specific car for sale.

That label, attached to the hood itself says meets USEPA and whether if meets Calif regulations.

My car built in 2005 for sale originally in Michigan does meet California regs...so possibly they all do now. And just maybe Calif. DMV no longer charges extra to bring a late model car into here.

Unfortunately license plates cost a fortune here now. A total ripoff. I don't even wanna know what plates are here for a new or almost new car. I brought my car in here from NYS when it was four years old. First year of plates here cost me $250, second year $200, then $150, now $132. The plates for NYS, at the time were $60 for TWO YEARS of licensing...and they say NYS is a ripoff..well that's for Real Estate taxes there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my car from a guy in Nevada who purchased it originally in michigan. I passed smog with flying colors with my exhaust and CAI. You will be fine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
While I don't work for BAR, etc., as far as I know if the car has 7500+ miles, it's fine- it does NOT have to be "CA legal"- that's the whole point of the 7500 mile rule. That just prevented us from buying (historically) more powerful, less restricted '49-state' cars NEW and bringing them in.
As pointed out, almost all cars are simply 50-state legal now anyway- it's cheaper for the manufacturers to build 'em that way.

Edit: A big part of this is the car has to be completely legal in the state it is from. If it won't pass that smog test, or has had equipment modified/removed, then it won't be legal in CA, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts