Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nice set of deluxe leather seats out of a 2012 GT not too too far from me. my seats on my 05 are fine but I like to have better support than these have.

so do they drop in? I think these are heated but wont need that. just need to be able to power them up.

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,807 Posts
Gone are the days when you could just easily swap out seats. Modern seats have airbags in them and ones from another vehicle won't really be compatible with your own airbag system. Even if they plugged in directly which I have doubts that they would it will light an airbag light on the dash and register a trouble code. The RCM(restraints control module) won't recognize the newer 2012 seat sensors/airbags. Everything has to be a matched set these days. There is a slight chance that you may be able to have the RCM reprogrammed to accept a different airbag/sensor system but only an airbag module service could tell you if that possible. The occupant seat sensor under the seat is programmed to the car as well so that would be another problem.
Risking not having the airbags deploy in case of a crash is a safety and legal concern so I would abandon the idea unless you know for certain beforehand that you can have things reprogrammed.
As a side note if you don't have heated seats in your car now then you won't be able to get them to ever work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gone are the days when you could just easily swap out seats. Modern seats have airbags in them and ones from another vehicle won't really be compatible with your own airbag system. Even if they plugged in directly which I have doubts that they would it will light an airbag light on the dash and register a trouble code. The RCM(restraints control module) won't recognize the newer 2012 seat sensors/airbags. Everything has to be a matched set these days. There is a slight chance that you may be able to have the RCM reprogrammed to accept a different airbag/sensor system but only an airbag module service could tell you if that possible. The occupant seat sensor under the seat is programmed to the car as well so that would be another problem.
Risking not having the airbags deploy in case of a crash is a safety and legal concern so I would abandon the idea unless you know for certain beforehand that you can have things reprogrammed.
As a side note if you don't have heated seats in your car now then you won't be able to get them to ever work.
Dont care about the heat part and not sure I even have airbags now. I saw a thread where someone did it but cant find it. might not have been on this forum

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
I think the basic mounts are the same, but not positive ... and if your car did not have airbags in the seat, then you can just leave the wires unhooked

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the basic mounts are the same, but not positive ... and if your car did not have airbags in the seat, then you can just leave the wires unhooked
my car has vin code F which is front driver /passenger airbag. No bags in seats.

i read i could maybe use the harness for power off the old seat for the newer seat.

the current seats are not near as nice as the seats in question. I think it can work.

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,807 Posts
Dont care about the heat part and not sure I even have airbags now. I saw a thread where someone did it but cant find it. might not have been on this forum
my car has vin code F which is front driver /passenger airbag. No bags in seats.

i read i could maybe use the harness for power off the old seat for the newer seat.

the current seats are not near as nice as the seats in question. I think it can work.
You can consider yourself lucky(or depending on how you look at it that unlucky) that you don't have the optional airbags in the seats then. Still, the passenger seat has an OCS(occupant classification system) under it. My understanding is that the OCS module is tied to the VIN of the car and the rest of the airbag system.
Ford Workshop Manuals > Mustang V8-4.6L VIN H (2005) > Restraint Systems > Air Bag Systems > Seat Occupant Sensor > Component Information > Diagrams > Page 7486 (workshop-manuals.com)
I don't think the harnesses will be compatible between the 2005-09 and the 2010-14 so the airbag may or may not be functional when you want it or don't want it to be and with the sensor unplugged it will light the airbag light. You'd probably have to cut/splice the wiring to even have a chance of making it work if the connectors don't match up.
I would think that these seats would be a different color or at least shade from what's in there now and wouldn't match the rear seat and rest of the interior.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can consider yourself lucky(or depending on how you look at it that unlucky) that you don't have the optional airbags in the seats then. Still, the passenger seat has an OCS(occupant classification system) under it. My understanding is that the OCS module is tied to the VIN of the car and the rest of the airbag system.
Ford Workshop Manuals > Mustang V8-4.6L VIN H (2005) > Restraint Systems > Air Bag Systems > Seat Occupant Sensor > Component Information > Diagrams > Page 7486 (workshop-manuals.com)
I don't think the harnesses will be compatible between the 2005-09 and the 2010-14 so the airbag may or may not be functional when you want it or don't want it to be and with the sensor unplugged it will light the airbag light. You'd probably have to cut/splice the wiring to even have a chance of making it work if the connectors don't match up.
I would think that these seats would be a different color or at least shade from what's in there now and wouldn't match the rear seat and rest of the interior.
I went and got them. they are like new. they are a shade different looks like. that doesnt bother me. now the harnesses are different of course , I expected that. saw a guy online did the same thing so I just need to figure out the wires that I need and splice my harness on to the new seat

airbag issue is to figure out last. the seats are much nicer than the 05..lol..naturally.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Good Luck. Post pics if you get them to fit/work.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
^^Looks good^^ I have the same seats in my car.

·
Diehard Ford-Fan
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
927 Posts
Bah, who needs powered seats. Back in my day we pulled a doohickey and slid around, now all you kids got yer fancy electric seats that get you to exactly the right comfortable spot....🤪
Keep us posted on how it goes, those new seats look super clean in there

Reactions: 85andstillalive

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Yeah, mine are powered.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
My car came with those seats from the factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts