Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have 89 mustang and i want to swap engines from 74 econoline302, was wondering if it will fit, (or will the heads from 74 fit my 89 302 and my 89 intake on it? thanx alot

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think it will work. The emissions set up is different from a 74 head to a 89 head.
The Egr tube is what I am refering to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im just doin it temporary till i fix my 89 engine, any way to plug it? i am tryin to put my intake from 89 on top of 74 engine, or maybe only swapin heads for now from 74 to 89, thanx

·
Registered
471 Posts
It should all work without a problem. If the '74 head doesn't have the smog ports at the back, just leave off the smog pump and lines. Everything else should work fine. The only other issue you may have, is the flywheel or flexplate. They cannot be interchanged between the 2 engines. If you're 'stang is an auto, the 28oz flexplate off the '74 engine should work fine. If you have a manual, you're going to need a flywheel that has a 28oz balance and is compatible with the later 10.5" clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have manual t5 im more then sure and the van had manual also , maybe i can take flywheel from 74? thanx alot

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
you will need to do a lot! the 74 engine is balanced for 28 ounces, the 89 is 50 ounces, so it will be WAY out of ballance

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your early cam has a different firing order than the 89 HO engine -
you basically just need to reroute your plug wires.

Also, your efi fires the injectors in that newer firing order so it
will run rough at idle but smoothen out once it gets a few r's up.

Windsor-Fox (I think it was them) had an article about doing
an efi fit onto an older motor. There was something about the
water transfer ports, I think it was, where they were diff size
from the motor to the intake, but being careful they got it to
seal without leaking.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/efi/

I think that's the article.

http://www.windsor-fox.com/

Here's Windsor-Fox, too, just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.