Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i orignally have a 289 in my 66 gt, but i just bought a 351 C and i was wondering if i am going to have any problems put in the 351C? Can anyone help? //////JOSE

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how could i fix that problem? is there any other problems that i'm going to run into?

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Fuj said:
how could i fix that problem? is there any other problems that i'm going to run into?
convert the car to Mustang II front suspension and steering, or just put the C into the 69

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just don't know how many times I have to say it before people listen.

www.fordpowertrain.com headers
early 65 (64 falcon) 3 peice motor mounts

Bolts in
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/RESTO002.jpg

Mod shock towers? NO
Tight? Yes, until you get the hang of it spark plugs are fun.

351c in 65 mustang? - more torque than the car was built for, put in torque boxes, export, and MC bar. For added stregnth consider subframe bars too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
dodgestang said:
I just don't know how many times I have to say it before people listen.

www.fordpowertrain.com headers
early 65 (64 falcon) 3 peice motor mounts

Bolts in
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/RESTO002.jpg

Mod shock towers? NO
Tight? Yes, until you get the hang of it spark plugs are fun.

351c in 65 mustang? - more torque than the car was built for, put in torque boxes, export, and MC bar. For added stregnth consider subframe bars too.
Hmm, not sure what the first link is supposed to show and the second looks like a 351 windsor not a cleveland.
The Cleveland 351 is a lot bigger that the Windsor 351. Even the Windsor 351 is a tight fit due to the extra 1" deck heightover a 289/302, but has been done on many occasions.
With the massive size of the Cleveland heads, Im guessing you dont stand a chance with out shock tower mods in a 66.

·
Registered
810 Posts
fast66 said:
Hmm, not sure what the first link is supposed to show and the second looks like a 351 windsor not a cleveland.
The Cleveland 351 is a lot bigger that the Windsor 351. Even the Windsor 351 is a tight fit due to the extra 1" deck heightover a 289/302, but has been done on many occasions.
With the massive size of the Cleveland heads, Im guessing you dont stand a chance with out shock tower mods in a 66.
Did the IQ online suddenly drop in recent days?

The first link is to a company that makes headers in the application.
The second link is MY 351c STROKED OUT TO 408 resting comfortably in MY MUSTANG'S engine compartment. It is very obviously a 351c by counting the valve cover bolts, looking at the direct into block upper radiator hose, and the size of the heads.

Feel free to READ my SITE which details all about the fun this motor has been for me
http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

Here are some more pictures for the cleveland impaired

See the canted valve?
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/engineinstall10.jpg

See how tight it is but notice the nice shiny un-dented shock towers
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/engineinstall7.jpg
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/engineinstall8.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
dodgestang said:
Did the IQ online suddenly drop in recent days?

Here are some more pictures for the cleveland impaired
Being an arrogant ***** must be a measure of IQ in your book then?

·
Registered
810 Posts
fast66 said:
Being an arrogant ***** must be a measure of IQ in your book then?
When someone contradicts/purports to be false a factual statement (supported with pictures and an entire website detailing those facts) with something they admit to being an opinion...it peeves me off first thing in the morning…couple that with the direct insinuation that I wouldn't know what freakin motor would be in my car...doubles up the arrogance your gonna get outta me

:tongue

·
Registered
682 Posts
...and just when I was going to use Nick's pics to say you're an idiot, he does it himself. :D Good job nick! :drink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
5.0 in a 66 said:
...and just when I was going to use Nick's pics to say you're an idiot, he does it himself. :D Good job nick! :drink:
Thanks for your input, much appreciated, constructive and helpfull.:thumbsup

·
Registered
810 Posts
fast66 said:
Perhaps some stronger coffee, or even some valium would help??
If you have ever stood at a car show, drag strip, road course, parking lot, etc, talking to people and then have them tell you how wrong you are time after time saying things like "My wife's brother's best friend's mother's uncle tried to put a 351c in a 65 mustang once and it doesn't fit, you have to cut out the shock tower" while looking at your car, or the even more illustrious "that's a windsor asshat you can tell by the 6 valve cover bolts...see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8" and then they walk away...year after year after year after year...you would have the same reaction.

And for the record, I drink 2 triple shots of expresso brewed freshed everymorning. You've just keep catching me before I get to the office and drink it. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
682 Posts
fast66 said:
Thanks for your input, much appreciated, constructive and helpfull.:thumbsup
No problem...glad to know I'm being helpful :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in the day, I had a 66 that I dropped a 351 Windsor into. If I remember correctly, I had to hammer a little bit on the firewalls. Oh, and I attached the tranny to the block and dropped it in together. Awkward, but because of the size I think it worked a little better. Doing it that way definately requires at least one extra set of hands!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think nick knows what he is talking about!!!!!!!!! damn from them pics that you have nick that 351C looks really tight ...i hope i can my 351C in my 66 without a big fight!! nick question how much did the headers cost?////////////JOSE

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) A 351 Cleveland will fit into a 66 without modifying the shock towers.You will encounter two problems,though.The breather assembly will sit a little higher on the Cleveland so you might hit it with the hood when you close it.The D/S exhaust manifold is also veeeery close to the steering gear box.The first time you hit a bump going down the road the steering gear box will crack the exhaust manifold.People either use headers or grind a little bit off of the exhaust manifold for clearance to get around this problem.It will fit in there though, without hacking up the car.Hope that helps.
Hi Nick. How's it going? :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
351C into a 66

No matter what is said, a 351C into a 66 is gonna be VERY tight.......if you manage to get it in, good luck with headers.............even using manifolds isn't gonna gain you any room..........trimming the shock towers is HIGHLY recommended,as these cars were never designed to accomidate a 351C OR a Windsor.wanna know how i know? just ask!
watched a 351W going into a 64 Falcon........SAME SIZE ENGINE BAY..

And the header issue? good luck changing spark plugs! or the starter!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.